carad23
Newly Registered

Aloe Plant Growing vertically

Hello Everyone -

I am new to growing aloe plants and mine has been growing very fast and is healthy, however, it seems to be only growing vertically rather than filling out. I don't know if I have a certain species and this is the way it grows....

I guess my question is, is there a way to "trim" my aloe plant to make it fill out a bit more? I can personal message a picture if anyone would like..

Thanks for your help!
Cara

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

There is realy no way to make your aloe fill out. Some species branch, and others don't. I would just let it grow or, if you found out the species through something like an aloe species search on google, you could then know if it is branchable. Even if it is, you still probably shouldn't cut it as this may kill it.

Spotted
Cool Member

I know I'm coming late in this question, but I just have to say that your plant could be growing so vertically because it is so healthy. I have an aloe vera plant that I managed to keep alive in out dark apartment for 2 years. It it's stalky leaves (or what ever you call them) Spread out, now that we’ve moved to a house, and it has a much better window to sit in, all of the new growth is vertical.

I wouldn’t trim an aloe plant unless you are trimming it for the juice, where you remove an entire stalky leaf from the bottom. Once they have a blemish or a cut, it's always there.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”