jemdan
Newly Registered

hi all, help and identification please. thank you

hi my name is jemma and iam from south yorkshire. I have not long had my bonsai tree, only about 6 months and have a few questions but thought I would first say a big hello and post a pic of my tree and see if anyone could identify this for me please and then help me with my questions if you don't mind. thank you jem :)

Sorry first problem I don't seem to be able to figure out how to post my picture if someone could please help, sorry thank you jem

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Jem,

Welcome to the forum. We do not host any photos on this site you must upload them to a third party hosting service, I use Image Shack, and then link to them here.

This should help, there are two different options outlined.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724

Norm

jemdan
Newly Registered

thank you, ive just uploaded the pic to photobucket and here is my link hope this is correct. thank you again jem

https://s469.photobucket.com/albums/rr57/groovybird_2008/

alexinoklahoma

It is also quite convenient to go with something like "Picasa" which is a Google app and has its own web-storage (LOTS of space, too) at Picasaweb.google.com. It works well with other Google apps if you already have those. I do not know how well the new beta (v3) works, but v2 has served me very well and am trying the beta install shortly...Image Shack is good, too, of course.

I keep a very informal 'collection' at [url]https://picasaweb.google.com/Alexinoklahoma[/url] fwiw :-)

Alex

jemdan
Newly Registered

wow alex you have quite a variety there and iam stuck with my one lil tree lol Have you been keeping bonsai's a while ???

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

jem,

I'm sorry but I can't tell from your picture what species you have. I get the feeling that it may be a Chinese Elm but that is only a preliminary impression. Is there any chance that you can upload a picture that shows more detail?

Norm

jemdan
Newly Registered

hi I got the best pic I could, but thinking back to when I got it norm the name sounds familar.

But as you can see in my pic there is some like moss growing on the soil and this is one of my questions I just woundered if this was normal?

thank you jem

https://s469.photobucket.com/albums/rr57/groovybird_2008/bonsai%20tree/

arboricola

Hello jemdan;

I enlarged the pic and it does look like a Chinese elm.

How often are you watering the tree?

The moss or mold could come from over wet soil.

Let the top inch of soil dry before watering again

Phil...

jemdan
Newly Registered

I don't have a set schedule for watering I waiting until it feels dry and then stand in the sink and cover with water for a couple of minutes for it to feed on the water. this is what I was advise to do from the store I bought it from is this the correct way because ive been trying to read up on the internet and iam really confused. thank you for your help jem

arboricola

jemdan;

You might try watering from the top. water the entire surface of the soil, wait 10 minutes, then water again until you get some drainage.

Do not let the pot sit in the drain water...

Phil...

jemdan
Newly Registered

thank you phil, could I please ask you one of my other questions. when do you know when the tree is ready for repotting? thank you very much jem

arboricola

jemdan;

Next spring will be soon enough for a repot. The tree looks healthy and I see no need to repot any time sooner.

Right now work on the watering. Stick a toothpick in the soil, if it comes out dry go ahead and water.

Give the tree as much light as you can. It looks like it could use a little more than it's getting.

Phil...

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Jem,

Now that I see the second picture (not sure if you just posted it or I missed it the first time around :oops: ) I agree with Phil, and my initial impression, that it is indeed a Chinese Elm. These make very good bonsai for beginners and the more experienced alike. They can be managed as indoor or outdoor trees although my preference is the later. I Keep mine outside most of the year, providing winter protection in an unheated garage during the coldest months. How do you intend to manage yours?

Norm

alexinoklahoma

Is the picture gone now? I just see two pics of 'babe' and 'jem' ?

And jem, I do have a few pots ;-) Takes a while to water 'em, too.....

Alex

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Alex,

I edited the link to point to tree rather than the personal photos, you should be able to see two photos now. I only saw the first photo at first. I edited yours as well, it was not a proper 'link'. I hope you don't mind.

Norm

alexinoklahoma

Thx, Gnorm :-) I could not get my 'proper' link as Firefox kept auto-signing me in to my Google account, therefore changing the URL 'up above' (no copy/paste, per se). And I never really pay attention to personal URL's, LOL......

Alex

jemdan
Newly Registered

sorry I didnt reply last night I got wathcing a film 'untraceable' would defently recommend it.

Thank you for all the replys and thank you norm for sorting out the link.

In responce to the tree needing more light, we live in a bungalow and when I first got the tree, we had it in our bedroom and it defently didnt like it in there so I moved it into the room and its been there for over 5 months and seemed happy until lately. As you may be able to tell from the pic, while it was in the window it lost all of its leaves and didnt seem happy at all been in the window. So I moved it onto the table in the same room and within no time it seems to have its leaves coming back tho and looking nice and happy again. Granted its lost some leave before while been in the window because I understand they do this to make way for new ones but when it lost all of its leaves I thought it might have got too cold in the window and that is why I have moved it. Have I done the wrong thing??? thank you for your help jem

arboricola

jemdan;

You did nothing wrong. In fact you did the right thing by moving the tree to an area of lower light after it dropped its leaves. Now that its recovered a move back to the window might be in order. Temperature is not a problem, so don't worry about that. Elms do well indoors at temps between 8 and 24C.

I believe that watering was the issue. Now you have that under control the tree should do well.

Phil...

jemdan
Newly Registered

thank you for your advice the tree is now in the window and tree is not yet ready for watering but as soon as it is I will be trying the new way adviced.

thank you all again jem

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”