minnesota_girl

Your number one favorite plant

What is your must have plant?

Toms92gp

I can't pick just one so I'll pick one in a catagory

Annual Flowers- Its a close call between cosmos, marigolds and zinna's but cosmos if I had to pick
Perrenials- Asain Lillies
Flowering shurbs- Roses
Flowering trees- Dogwood
Fruit tree- nectarine
Shade trees- really any maple but especially red and sugar maples.
evergreen- longleaf pine
veggie garden plant- watermelon

minnesota_girl

I love daylilies. All daylilies are welcome to my garden but I really like to find new and different varieties. I also love asiatic lilies, one of my favorites is lilium asiaticum 'cappuchino'. I always need lilies in my garden.

I have never ordered from here but I find some of these daylilies at local nurseries.

https://www.dutchbulbs.com/store/daylilies

I have so many other favorite, I don't think I could ever choose one.
Last edited by minnesota_girl on Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Simply not possible to answer that question. Just like when I bring the latest batch of blooming orchids in the house and call my wife over. She says [Oh, that is may favorite.] And then when she looks at the next, [That is my favorite.] It turns out most everyone of the 200-300 different orchids happens to be her favorite when it is in bloom. Same for this question, can't even begin to limit to a favorite, not even in varous categories. How is it possible to like a tomato better than a cucumber better than arugula? Each is a totally different, non comparable unique experience. How can I love a day lily more than a true lily, more than an iris?

What are the attributes that draw me to a selection? Now that makes a question that can at least be partially answered. At the practical level, the plant needs to be adaptable enough to grow in my challenging environment. If the first experimental plant does not live and thrive, a second will not likely get purchased. I tend to be drawn toward plants that have vivid color and long bloom period. So reds, blues, bright yellows, deep purples tend to most cach my eye. The unusual color is also an attention grabber. For the shade, contrasts and textures are more important. But really I don't have a set of criteria for selection. Such decisions are usually made by this gardener at the emotional level. The visual stimulus of the plant strikes a chord, and I react by placing the plant in the cart. Simple as that, not one favorite or one group of favorties, but dozens of favorites with the possibility of many dozens more favorites as experience provides that opportunity.

JennyC
Green Thumb

Field peas (southernpeas). Protein and vitamins, plus they dry right on the vine for preservation if you let 'em (catch them before the pods split, or you'll be growing more). So easy to grow I've described it elsewhere on the forums as "stick them in the ground and stand back so they don't hit you in the face." Fairly drought tolerant, and, as a bonus, they fix nitrogen in the soil!

Oh, and they're yummy.

Ask me again tommorrow, get a different answer... :)

Roger

I don't think I have a single favorite; but if I were told that I could only keep one species of plant currently on my property, it would be my grape vine.

minnesota_girl

I know it's hard to ask for a single favorite. I don't even have a favorite color among the common red, blue, green, purple, etc. Even in the super market, I have a hard time choosing one thing over another. When it comes to plants I like a little [a lot according to my family and friends] of everything but I could tell you a few of my favorites like my previous post or the ones I don't like... WEEDS.

Jess
Greener Thumb

:? Favourite. If I can only take one plant from my garden and I have to choose one or nothing...... :?
I can't it would have to be two....Lavender and dill.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

ANY FOOD!

Spotted
Cool Member

right now, I don't know if I could choose. I have a favorite house plant that is an aloe, but I think it is my favorite for sentimental reasons. It was an off shoot from a friends, and it was also the first plant I was successful at getting to grow inside. Other than that, I got several that I love, and am currently adding to my collection.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Pediomelum esculentum (Prairie Turnip)

You asked what my must have plant was ;)

dinker

Anything that blooms and yes even some that are concidered a weed that have colorful blooms
And Alex I've seen some of the pictures of your orchids I can understand why they are all your wifes favorites

Tey157
Cool Member

I like bananas, palms, cycads, cannas, and etc. Basically I like all kinds of plants. :lol:

Jess
Greener Thumb

Tey sounds like you love the tropical type plants...me too. I have bananas growing and had cannas in a pot but they died as I forgot to move the pot nearer the house for the winter and they rotted in our winter wet. :(
Have you tried Hedychiums? https://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/potd/2005/09/hedychium_coccineum_tara.php
I have those growing this year. Hope they make it through the winter. :roll:

TheLorax why the Pediomelum esculentum (Prairie Turnip)?
What makes them so special for you?

Tey157
Cool Member

Jess,

Nice to meet you. Sorry to hear about your tropicals. I have never tried the Hedychiums. They look neat though. Thanks for the link to the picture. 8)

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

To me, any woody, long lived bonsaiable tropical is my favorite :D

Tey157
Cool Member

bonsaiboy,

What kind of bonsais do you have? 8)

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

None now. All my plants are still to young to train. But I'm going to bonsai citrus, a jade, a flowering maple, and experimentaly try avocado, coffee, brazil nut, and a dwarf dizygothica (now classified as under schefflera).

ACyaman
Newly Registered

Maybe you will see this. I know the post was created 6 years ago... Have you had luck with the brazil nut tree? I have a 3 year oldllittle tree I want to try to bonsai. I just want to see how you fared.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Roses ( heritage fragrant ones)

Lilacs----Fragrant.

Sweetpeas...Fragrant

*dim*
Cool Member

Tetrapanax papyrifer Rex:

and I always plant loads of Hakonechloa Macra Aureola in every garden that I landscape:

it was the perennial plant of the year in 2009:

https://www.sugarcreekgardens.com/Grasse ... Hakone.pdf

imafan26
Mod

It is hard when you love plants to pick just one.

Lavender and Fuchsia are my favorites.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Tomatoes and Peppers
Any bizarre plants like carnivorous plants, carrion flowers, tortoise plant etc
Wild edibles and medicinals
Aromatic herbs
Some aquatic plants are beautiful too

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Trees.

WildcatNurseryman

Three way tie between Lion's Head Japanese Maple, Umbrella Pine and Aurea Chamaecyparis for trees.
Oh, and any Larch.... Five way tie- Acrocona Spruce too...Weeping Alaskan Cedar ain't too shabby either. Weeping White Spruce, oh yea, and all Beech Trees. I guess this is harder than I thought. Serviceberry sure do bring in the Cedar Waxwings...

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

The most beautiful I ever saw was a rainbow shower tree in full bloom in Hawaii. My favorite food plant is my Kent Mango. And tomatoes of course, especially black ones!

mmt

The Russian sage it is! and soft red large Allium(it's like a soccer ball size I saw in Asia and can't still bring it in, aiming one day...one day!). :D

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”