eddyjack

passion flower

how and when is the best time to take cuttings from a passion flower also the clematis montana alba I live in north east of england any advice would be much appreciated thanks

minnesota_girl

Cuttings are easily rooted from all named hybrids and most species, and are best taken in early spring as the days are lengthening. The tip or end shoot is the best and easiest to take. With a sharp knife or secateurs cut closely below the node of the first or second mature leaf from the end shoot. Carefully remove the bottom leaf and all the tendrils and flower stalks. Dip the cut end of the stem in rooting powder and insert 1.5cm (1/2in) deep into compost - 15 cuttings will fit into a 12cm (5in) pot.

Nodal cuttings are useful when tip-cutting material is scarce. They should be 2 or 3 leaves long with the bottom leaf and tendril removed. The advantage here is that you can take numerous cuttings from one shoot.
A mixture of 50 per cent sharp sand and 50 per cent sphagnum moss peat is an ideal cutting compost, but just sharp sand, vermiculite, Perlite or peat will do. Don't use loam based compost for species from the subgenus Tasconia unless it is neutral or slightly acid.

Try to maintain soil temp of 18 - 21 C (65-70F). Cuttings will root at lower temperatures but may take a little longer. Many species and varieties will root on a warm windowsill, but it may be necessary to cover them with a clear polythene bag for the first week or so. Don't let the cuttings get to wet inside; either remove the bag for a while each day or make some small holes in it for ventilation.
I used the advice from this website for my passionflower cutting and mine grew fine. https://www.passiflora-uk.co.uk/passion-flower-growing.htm

eddyjack

thanks a lot advice much appreciated

minnesota_girl

Your welcome. I hope it goes well, with the cutting.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”