R12

Earth Box Woes Update

My tomato's leaves started curling so I freaked and removed those black garbage bags and covered the boxes with 15 year landscaping fabric and then covered that with some of the shredded bark from the yard. It's been about a week now and they look much better and are flowering like crazy. Let's hope they set fruit.
Live each day like there is no tomorrow but save a couple of bucks in case there is........

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like you're on the right track there.

Balr14

I have several Earth Boxes and I don't use the covers at all. I'm new to this, so I'm probably doing it wrong, but my plants are very large(tomatoes and cucumbers are 8' tall and 3' around; peppers are about 30" and hanging out of the box) and producing a fair amount of fruit.

R12

Wow I wish mine were like that. I'm still flowering and setting fruit. Got started very late so I'm fertilizing with a low nit. and high potash to try to get my crop in. Ordered a dehydrator and would really like to put up a large quantity of tomatoes for the winter. I'm a retiree who never had time for all this and I've found it quite satisfying. I'm already thinking about next years garden.
Live each day as if there were tomorrow but save a couple of bucks in case there is

Balr14

R12 wrote:Wow I wish mine were like that. I'm still flowering and setting fruit. Got started very late so I'm fertilizing with a low nit. and high potash to try to get my crop in. Ordered a dehydrator and would really like to put up a large quantity of tomatoes for the winter. I'm a retiree who never had time for all this and I've found it quite satisfying. I'm already thinking about next years garden.
I just used a little Miracle Grow twice and I keep the water filled. I'd like to be a retiree (I'm 65); but everytime I think I'm close, the economy tanks. Like I said, I'm new to this and I have no idea what I'm doing. I planted 8 pepper plants in one Earth Box and 3 tomatoes in another.

I'm thinking of what I want to do next year, too. I like the idea of containers off the ground. I have no problems with pests, bugs, disease, or anything else. But, I think I want some lots bigger containers.

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”