donaLyn
Newly Registered

sea grape wine or jelly

:D
Hi Everyone,
First time
Have a question?? Does anyone know about making seagrape jelly or wine??
And can I pick the berries now(green) and let them rippen..If not the birds are fighting me for them.
DonaLyn

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Welcome! Nice to meet you! :)

Well, first I had to Google to find out what sea grapes were! :lol: :lol: :lol:

While learning a bit about about them, I came across this recipe:

"Here is my Nana’s Sea Grape Recipe given to my mom, then given to me.

2 to 3 quarts of sea grapes

8 cups fruit juice from sea grapes

8 1/2 cups sugar

1/3 cup lime juice

Select ripe and partly ripe sea grapes. Wash and place in large pot, add water to not quite cover the fruit. Bring to a boil and soak until tender. Squeeze juice out by hand or strain through jelly bag, then measure juice.

To each 8 cups of juice obtained, add 8 1/2 cups sugar and 1/3 cup lime juice.

Cook to 225 degrees, which will take about 27 minutes. When it reaches the jelly stage, skim and pour into sterile jars and seal. Makes eight 1/2 pound jars."

(recipe from https://tdaait.wordpress.com/2008/04/19/sea-grape-jelly/)

Can't help you with the wine, though. Perhaps someone else can. :)

donaLyn
Newly Registered

Kisal wrote:Welcome! Nice to meet you! :)

Well, first I had to Google to find out what sea grapes were! :lol: :lol: :lol:

While learning a bit about about them, I came across this recipe:

"Here is my Nana’s Sea Grape Recipe given to my mom, then given to me.

2 to 3 quarts of sea grapes

8 cups fruit juice from sea grapes

8 1/2 cups sugar

1/3 cup lime juice

Select ripe and partly ripe sea grapes. Wash and place in large pot, add water to not quite cover the fruit. Bring to a boil and soak until tender. Squeeze juice out by hand or strain through jelly bag, then measure juice.

To each 8 cups of juice obtained, add 8 1/2 cups sugar and 1/3 cup lime juice.

Cook to 225 degrees, which will take about 27 minutes. When it reaches the jelly stage, skim and pour into sterile jars and seal. Makes eight 1/2 pound jars."

(recipe from https://tdaait.wordpress.com/2008/04/19/sea-grape-jelly/)

Can't help you with the wine, though. Perhaps someone else can. :)
Can I pick them green and let them rippen?? I am fighting the birds for them LOL

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I used Google, and couldn't find anything one way or the other. The only thing I learned was that sea grapes are not related to the grapes commonly grown throughout North America.

OTOH, there were a few statements that indicated that ordinary grapes, and berries in general, do not ripen after being picked. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Have you considered asking some of the older ladies in the area where the sea grapes are growing? They might have quite a lot of knowledge to share with you, as well as recipes. :)

Samia

In my country sea grapes are very common. From my experience they do not ripe if you pick the green. And if you wash them and don't dry them well they rot pretty easy.

Trish-A

You can make wine out of just about anything. I recently sampled a bottle of "Sweet Pepper" wine made from green bell peppers. Very good!

First of all is to check your local laws concerning home brewing.
For those living here in the States you can use tis site, [url]https://www.beertown.org/homebrewing/legal.html[/url] and check your State.

I searched for Sea Grape Wine and didn't find much help. So I'd try a Concord recipe and adjust the sugar level as needed.

Return to “All Other Fruit”