Australiano
Newly Registered

Plant description with help???

Hi everyone i´m new to all this bonsai stuff but I´m willing to learn. I´ve just bought a Ilex Microphylla, with perennial leaves (does that mean its an evergreen?). I don´t know if I´m sure, but is that a Box, or Holly, what is its english name?

Another thing is, it is 7 years old, I don´t know what its risks are, how or when to water it, when I should prune it or if its indoor or out door plant. It has moss on it, is that good or bad? and should I change the soil of it as I don´t know what a good mixture is for it or should I leave it as I bought it.

Please, I know I´m a pain in the edited. But somebody help me and I´ll be right as rain! Thanks, Leo

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

G'day!

It's a holly (all Ilex are), but it's a Small leaved Japanese holly, so I'm betting nearly tropical and not evergreen, but returning each year (like perennial flowers). NO info on this one online in English, so I'll hit the books and get back to you...

HG

Australiano
Newly Registered

Ohhh wonderful, so its called a Japanese Holly. Hmmm never seen one like this is my country before, maybe becaused we are plagued withe the eucalyptus. Anyway all information would be appreciate on how to take care of this plant, hmmm I´m not a greenthumb right? hahaha thanks again mate!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Still digging through my bonsai books and not finding this; might suggest you look up yaupon or Okinawan holly as I suspect they are much the same in needs. I will keep looking...

It does appear you have a rarer one... 8)

Scott

Australiano
Newly Registered

Ohhh great, I´ve got a rare bonsai plant, hmmm am I the only one with this type of plant? I will look up on the internet for it, to see the information. However at this moment I´m just giving it a glass of water a day, and the water sits on top of the soil, does that mean the soil should be changed and if so what type of soil should I put in it? and does it really need bonsai food? Thanks for you help Scott.

yous faithfully Leo

Australiano
Newly Registered

Hi Scott
Well I got onto looking up about the yaupon (Ilex Vomitoria) what a name? hehehe. Anyway, says its an evergreen, and in one of your posts you said mine might be a tropical, sorry I´m a bit confused between what is an evergreen and a tropical. I saw the okinawan and I don´t think its that one as it says it has spikey leaves, and mine doesn´t, it just has small green leaves. Also I have noticed the leaves are falling of, here in spain we are in august, coming into autumn. Is that normal for this type of plant? I think I should start cutting it back now, as the information I found on the yaupon said summer is a good time to cut it back. When should I fertilise it? Sorry scotty, I´ve got so many questions, I´m a newbie here. But thanks for all help.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The internet was very little help to me, but as you live in Spain most of the hits that DID come up are in Spanish! So perhaps it is a more common plant in Espana than it is here...

While Yaupon and Okinawan hollies are both evergreen they are both more suited to hotter climes and I thought that care info might be similar, but it is, as I said, a suspicion rather than a cionfirmed fact...

It may well be a deciduous holly, but the soil not allowing water penetration is not a good sign, although this is not a good time for repotting either. Try soaking the whole pot once a week or so, and watering regularly the rest of the time; that may help with the porosity issue...

Been traveling so no time for research, but I'll see if I can have something for you by tomorrow...

Scott

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”