Trentt

I got the Orange Strawberry seeds from a seed catalog called Totally Tomatoes, located here in Wisconsin. They have countless varieties and I went a bit nuts so didn't buy new seeds of any kind of tomatoes this year. When the catalog came I tossed it into the recycling bin.

I've read reviews of this catalog's products on other forums that were negative, and sometimes not all the seeds sprouted (a complaint in some of these unfavorable reviews). But I keep all my leftover seeds in the fridge and use them year after year until they are gone. While I had no Orange Strawberries the first year I planted them, last year (year #2) I had a few germinate and ended up with 3 plants in the garden, and they produced prolifically.

I do not prune off "excess" foliage from my tomatoes, though I'm sure this is a point of debate among tomato growers. I think the leaves protect the fruit from sun scald. I figure the tomatoes know how to grow themselves so I stake and cage them, feed them and water them, then feast.

Linny
Cool Member

Trentt wrote:I do not prune off "excess" foliage from my tomatoes, though I'm sure this is a point of debate among tomato growers. I think the leaves protect the fruit from sun scald. I figure the tomatoes know how to grow themselves so I stake and cage them, feed them and water them, then feast.
I have not seen any of the "points of debate" from any other tomato grower though I'm sure they are out there. I have never grown the heirloom tomatoes that take so long to mature, and the protection from sun scald makes sense. I just needed some advice from someone who has grown heirloom tomatoes. I tend to agree with you that the tomatoes know what they are doing. I think plants are like animals. They know what to do. You make sure they have food, water, and sunshine, and instinctively they know how to raise their "off-spring".

I am so looking forward to the feast part!

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I found your source-
https://www.totallytomato.com/

Looks like a great site so many thanks for mentioning it.

I didn't quite know what to think about pruning or pinching or what ever we're supposed to be doing to tomato plants after they're planted and staked so I left mine alone. Figured it best to resist the urge to mess with them until I saw what they could produce without being fiddled with.

mistygardener

OMG that sounds like something I would have for dessert, too! Sorry it took me so long to reply, just been very busy gardening! :) I didn't get around to any veggies this year as all the other plants have kept me so busy.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I like slicers but for pure great tomato flavor it is my opinion that many of the mid size salad tomatoes excel. My favorite used to be '4th of July'. Last year I tried several new varieties. My wife and I did a taste test and 'sweet cluster' won out over '4th of July'. Both plants are very productive and tomatoes are excellent. Very moist, great texture, full flavor and acid bite. The 'Sweet cluster' had just a hint of sweetness to round out that acid full flavored tomato. Sweet cluster tends to rival 'Juliet' for productivity, and IMO has a better flavor as that favorite as well. 'Juliet' is an oval salad tomato, a good bit smaller on average than 'sweet cluster'. Has a little less pronounced acidity, but great texture and flavor. Is excellent for drying as well as fresh eating. Is extremely disease resistant and a really productive workhorse. There is room for both of these tomatoes in my garden. For slicers, there are just too many that taste great for me to narrow it down. I love parks whopper, better boy, brandywine, celebrity, and some of the newer beefsteak varieties. I find it hard to be disappointed with these indeterminate large slicers. I don't care for varieties that are irregularly shaped and don't care for those with a big woody core. Aside from that, have not had a variety that disappointed me.

mistygardener

OK, now I want a tomato and miracle whip sandwich! LOL

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Yuk! Miracle whip? Gotta be Dukes, mayonaise of the south. Can't be any of the Helman's stuff either, just a dandy French want a be. This has to be one of the most good natured debates among friends in the south - Dukes vs. Helman's. Aren't many down here that would put the miracle whip on a tomato sandwich though. Maybe in some potato salad or other salad, but not spread on a sandwich.
Last edited by hendi_alex on Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mistygardener

LOL Miracle Whip was all I ever used, but I have switched to Mayo here recently. I don't have a clue what kind you are talking about, though I'd prob give it a try if I could find it! :) BTW, I am a Southern Girl, just stuck in the North! LOLOL :lol:

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Probably one of those things that simply boils down to 'what mamma used'. One thing for sure, there ain't no substitute for a good ole juicy tomato sandwich. Only recently did I hear what I guess is a Georgia term. They call a juicy tomato sandwich a "sink sandwich." Guess it is because the sandwich is so juicy and drips so much, it was often eaten over the sink, or so the saying goes.

mistygardener

A sink sandwich, that is a new one for me! LOL A mater like that I'd just have to put it on a plate with some salt and eat it allllllllllllllll gone! LOL Some might think it really strange, but I love maters with my mashed taters! :oops:

JennyC
Green Thumb

[quote="hendi_alex"]Yuk! Miracle whip? Gotta be Dukes, mayonaise of the south. [quote]

Whose south? Bama mayo, I say.

Seriously, Dukes may be a regional thing, as Bama is; I'd never heard of it. I grew up, predictably enough, in Alabama.

I do agree wholeheartedly on the Miracle Whip issue. Not food.

mistygardener

Miracle Whip not food! LOL

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

BAMA
BAMA Mayonnaise has been a favorite in the heart of the south for over 50 years. Its formula was developed specifically for consumers wanting a distinctly southern mayonnaise. BAMA Mayonnaise combines premium ingredients to achieve our southern taste and texture. An exotic blend of spices is added to soybean oil of the highest quality and pasteurized egg yolks, then blended to a smooth consistency and texture. Finally, a touch of lemon is added to achieve the ultimate in southern mayonnaise.

The description sounds a lot like Dukes with that kick of lemon.

Did a quick search and guess what. C.F. Sauer, like the mustard, produces both Dukes and Bama. Bet they market each as a separate regional product.

https://www.cfsauer.com/products.asp

cheshirekat

I don't like mayonnaise at all. I got food poisoning as a kid after something bad at a picnic and have totally disliked mayonnaise since. A doctor once told me that food poisoning from foods with mayonnaise occur more frequently than any other food.

My favorite sliced tomato sandwiches have bacon in them.

mistygardener

That is kinda like me with Krispie Cream donuts! Me and two of my kids got deathly ill after eating the filled ones and now I won't touch them at all!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”