applestar
Mod

Hummer's coming back

I can usually count on the hummers to start visiting regularly after Fourth of July, and sure enough, there's a female that have been visiting more and more. :D I can probably look forward to 4 or 5 more regular visitors now.

I keep trying to attract them earlier in the spring and hoping that they would stay around and nest in the area, but so far, they all disappear when the Japanese honeysuckles start blooming in the woods (mid-May) and then either I don't see them at all or only sporadically until this time of the year. Then they'll stick around until frost.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Yep, ours are back too. I love watching them. I saw one chase off a red tail hawk a few years ago. Fearless little critters.

JennyC
Green Thumb

Just started seeing them here again this week after a couple of months of no hummers. I think I usually see them all summer (?)

applestar
Mod

2nd Hummer is making things lively around here. :roll: The two always chase each other off, of course, but now, one or the other or both, have taken to buzzing at other birds that are perched in the trees awaiting their chance at the SEED feeder. If successful in getting them to take flight, the little imp instigates a HIGH-SPEED CHASE in and out of the trees! :shock:

Most often targeted are Chickadees, but I've seen the Hummer chasing Cardinals as well. :lol: For some reason, this gets the Chickadees excited and they start chasing each other too :roll: They're like little children! Fun to watch. :wink:

Highlight was a couple of occasions when the Hummer was so busy chasing other birds that she (both visitors are female) forgot where she was and found herself hovering almost directly in front of me. A "pip!" of surprise, hovering indecision, then a quick dart away to safety! :lol:

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”