Ivy

Manure for Roses

Good morning...I'm new to this forum..I have been gardening for about 10 years and have quite a few roses..along with quite a few other" cute, little plants that are not so little or cute" anymore!!
Anyway, I have always given my roses their manure in the Spring...I recently read some place that you were suppose to do it in the fall. So now I'm confused :? . I'm in Zone 5...the maps try to trick me into believing it's Zone 6.. :)

pd

I don't know if the zone matters a great deal. Here in the UK I have always applied slow acting organic fertilisers such as bone meal and hoof and horn meal in the late autumn, and I would suggest if using a proprietary brand of rose fertiliser apply in the spring and summer. Or as per instructions on the container.

With well established roses, and particularly if not too close to the dwelling house I would lay a thick layer of rotted farmyard manure over the rose bed or border in the autumn. Just let the elements and the worms take care of it and do a tidy up of what is left in the spring gently forking it into the soil.
Alternatively, or in addition, if you have a compost heap of rotted farmyard manure/garden waste compost etc. pass it through a large sieve to clean out the roughage and apply as thick layer - say 3 inches, in the spring as growth commences.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I'd ask a local, independent garden supply store/nursery for their advice on when to manure the roses.

But I would also recommend that you use only rotted/composted manure. I've always added compost to my roses, and they like it a lot!

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

Jess
Greener Thumb

I have to say on my light soil I mulch roses and every thing else with composted manure both autumn and spring. It is the only way to ensure my plants survive the summer here.
I wouldn't worry too much about when you do it. If you have been doing it in the spring and your roses have been fine then continue doing so.
If it ain't broke don't fix it! as they say. :lol:

Jess
Greener Thumb

Ivy having just checked various web sites for roses in your zone, mulching in autumn is recommended to protect them through winter.
This just means heaping up leaves or whatever in the autumn to protect the roots from freeze but add your composted manure in the spring to feed.
Could this be where the confusion is coming from?

Ivy

Thanks for the advise.. I use "store-bought" manure and compost, so no smell and no burn!! Guess I'll continue on with the Spring application as it has always worked...I do use leaves etc. for winter protection. I fertilize every month and give the last feeding the first part of Sept. and quit deadheading shortly after so they can start to go dormant, although I've had roses blooming as late as Dec. some years!! Thanks. :)

Jess
Greener Thumb

Sounds like you are doing just fine then Ivy. I too had roses blooming in December last year. Hardly surprising here but I am nearly double your zone.
I am always impressed by the gardeners who manage to keep things alive when it is sooo cold. We never get more than an inch of snow, if that, whereas you get feet not just inches. I would have to take up knitting in a comfy chair by the fire, I hate being cold!

Ivy

Jess,,Thanks... yes,it does get cold here and sometimes we get quite a bit of snow...we get what is called "Lake Effect" snow...right off Lake Ontario...I've had it snowing like crazy in my back yard and not in the front.. !!

Return to “Rose Forum”