rondo769
Cool Member

MOSS!!

Can anybody tell me how to collect and grow moss under my tree.I heard a method a few yrs ago about collecting it and putting it in a blender with a few other ingredients and puree into a paste?anybody have any tips?

Kenshin14435

I tried getting moss from my yard and putting it around my tree. It didn't go over too well. There were tiny, tiny, tiny(stress the word tiny) little white worms in it. I figured this out a couple days after. I do know though, you can buy some moss spores and then use them. But you gotta grow 'em. I imagine that won't take too long. You can buy them from [url]https://www.dallasbonsai.com[/url]
It comes in a 1 table spoon quantity. This may not seem like alot at all but it's enough to cover a 12 inch by 12 inch surface area.
Now, for that blending thing. I suppose it could work. I mean, the paste would still have the spores in it right? Never heard of it but I would try it on a tester plant.

rondo769
Cool Member

I checked it out,but they want to charge me 15.00 for shipping the spores are only 2.95 the recipe I mentioned earlier I cant remember

arboricola

rondo769;

Collect the moss that you think will look good. It can be found in most backyards or in the woods. Collect a small patch then let it dry out completely. When dry, shred it up. You can also sift it so you have a finer powder. Lightly dampen the soil and sprinkle where you want it. Cover with a little fine soil. Mist lightly once a day. Do not use large clumps, it dosen't work well. Do not cover the soil completely as it will keep the soil too wet. Moss does not work well for trees grown indoors.

Phil...

jberry90

I heard on another gardening forum to getr moss to grow in your yard, to get some that is growing somewere else and put it in a blender with some buttermilk for 2 seconds and then pour it on the surface you want it on and keep it moist, I'm going to try this idea myself..

Hope that helps!

Jberry

Ziplock

The blender thing is the way to go. I use ground moss and stale beer. :lol: Blend it REALLY well so not to clog your spray bottle. Mist where you want moss to grow.

Keep your moss in the shade and mist it every day :lol:

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”