Triphamr

A Bonsai Book Question

I didn't want to hijack another thread so I hope you don't mind me quoting like this on a new post.
Gnome wrote: While these books are highly regarded by most bonsai enthusiasts they may not be the best choice for a novice.
What book would you suggest Norm? I've been reading a bit here and there, mostly websites but I'm looking for a good novice book to help me get started before I go out and find my first tree. Something I can relax on the sofa with and don't have to stare at the monitor. 8)

Thanks in advance and oh and I'm loving your Chinese Elm thread grafting project, it's amazing and inspiring for a pre-novice like me.

Kenshin14435

LOL, You got that from my thread. Hehehe 8)
Anyway, I know you directed this question for Norm but I'm going to come in and reply too(plus you "stole" my thread(even though Norm did reply and you were using Norms words)) :wink: :roll: :mrgreen:
Just jokin' around.
Anyway, I suggest "Orthos All About Bonsai" and "The Bonsai Survival Manual"
I find these great because not only do they go into detail but they also provide great pictures. These are esspecially great for novices(like myself)
GoodLuck

Ken

kdodds
Greener Thumb

That must have been in reference to the Naka books. There are several "beginner's" books out there, but for most I like Amy Liang's "The Living Art of Bonsai: Principles & Techniques Of Cultivation & Propagation". Great book, with some very good inspiration to draw from. There's not a whole lot on indoor bonsai, though, at least not indoor bonsai specifically.

Kenshin14435

kdodds wrote:That must have been in reference to the Naka books.
YEAH, it was that reference to the naka books.
Here's a quick catch-up for those of you who didn't read my thread. Naka books are obviously from John Naka, a legendary Bonsai Master(You can see some of his work at
The National Bonsai & Penjing Museum featured at the US National Arboretum in Washington DC) Anyway, there are 2 voloumes of these books by this master. The original ones that were in print some time ago cost a hefty some of dough(around 150-400). But I have been looking an have found some remakes(found one at dallasbonsai.com for 40 bucks).
I thought about buying it but decided to looking for a copy at my library. No such luck. But I did read a chapter or 2 online and this book is definatly NOT for Novices like myself and many others on this site.
That sums that up.
kdodds, the book that you mentioned sounds like a good book. I'm gonna go do a search on it.

Ken

Kenshin14435

I found this site while I was looking for the book kdodds metioned.
[url]https://www.oldtreebonsai.com/books.html[/url]

It doesn't look like the best of sites to order from so I wouldn't but theres a nice list of good books(including kdodds's)

kdodds, I went and looked at a preveiw of the book online and it was only pix. A customer review stated that the first 85 pages are just pictures. Can you give me a better idea of what she talks about.
Thnx

Ken

kdodds
Greener Thumb

She gives details of cultivation, propagation, design, not found in as concise and easy a format in other books. She definitely includes discussions of bonsai aesthetics not present in competitive tomes. Things such as bonsai proportions, how to acheive them, etc., choosing an appropriate pot for a given tree, and more advanced techniques like jinns, sharimiki, driftwood, group plantings, etc. You have to keep in mind here that this book, as well as the bonsai encyclopedia (exact title escapes me now) can afford the space for eye-candy and projects because the books themselves are twice the size (at least) of the average bonsai handbooks.

Triphamr

Bah Ken I didn't steal your thread (I know you were joking) that was my whole point of starting this one. Actually I just stole Norms words! lol

Since his reply gave the impression that he knew of better Novice books, I was hoping he would chime in here as well. Kdodds, I like the idea of Amy Liangs book, I'm not so sure I could dive into a book written by a master just yet - seems to me like it'd be more advanced than I can handle right now.

Maybe I'll hit the library this weekend.. Ken thanks for the tips as well! Anybody else have any good novice books they've read that would be good for the total noob?

kdodds
Greener Thumb

:) That was my point, the book is really good for all levels, from novice through master.

Kenshin14435

kdodds,
Thanx for the explanation! That helped quite a bit. I might buy it. But as any other teen like me.....I'm on a budget.(A low one at that!! :evil: )
I might get it but I'm looking at other stuff too. We'll see.

Triphamr,
Your not alone where "too advanced" comes in. Alot of the books I've seen give you a general idea with some detail. That angers me esspecially when it come to soil. I know that my trees tend to like free draining soil. I know where I can buy sme pre-made mix but it needs other items like big river sand and various other items. I also need a seive. I'm a grower that tends to lean towards deciduous trees. Don't get me wrong, I love pines and such but their just not my style.(Wow....I just noticed I got really off topic)
Anyway, I wish someone made a book on soil, how to mx it, what to look for, and what trees(like jap maple)like what soils.
I have yet to find that.
And yes, some books are way beyond us novices. I'm a novice and some noobie books confuse me. I have a theory. That is...While bonsai is fun, enjoyable, and relaxing, it can also become a burden to bare, and can create stress.
Oh-well
I'll keep my eyes open.

Ken

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Triphamr

Two books I have found useful are 'The Bonsai Workshop' by Herb L. Gustafson. And 'Bonsai Masterclass' by Peter Chan. Don't let the name of the latter volume put you off it is a good solid work that will benefit most anyone.

A good book for Maple lovers would be 'Bonsai with Japanese Maples' by Peter Adams. And if you are leaning towards tropical/indoor bonsai then I suggest 'Bonsai in Your Home' by Paul Lesniewicz.

If you are inclined to grow Pines then look into 'Growing and Styling Pine Bonsai' by the editors of Bonsai Today, look to Stone Lantern Publishing house for this volume. I would say that this is not really a beginners book but there is a good chapter on starting Black Pines from seed and in the first several years where all you really do is grow them out you can do more research.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4139

Norm

Kenshin14435

Gnome wrote:A good book for Maple lovers would be 'Bonsai with Japanese Maples' by Peter Adams.
Oooooooooo. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Triphamr

Ohh sorry Kdodd I realize I wrote
I'm not so sure I could dive into a book written by a master just yet - seems to me like it'd be more advanced than I can handle right now.
out of context. I meant to write that in response to Kens reference to John Naka. I do like the Amy Liang suggestion you made. ;) Sorry for the confusion.
Two books I have found useful are 'The Bonsai Workshop' by Herb L. Gustafson. And 'Bonsai Masterclass' by Peter Chan. Don't let the name of the latter volume put you off it is a good solid work that will benefit most anyone.
And thanks for the suggestions Norm, I'll definitely look into those. Also thanks to the three of you I now have a good stack of books to look for and pick from. It's off to the book store I go!! :D

Kenshin14435

Triphamr,
If there was any confuzion I didn't catch it.....>.>.......<.<......>.>... :roll:
LoL
I need to go to the bookstore too. Only problem is, Borders hardly has any bonsai books where I am...if any. Barnes & Noble.....well.....it's a half hour away.
I'm going to the cyber bookstore. Amazon has great deals on some of the books. Go there before you go to the store because 9 times out of 10 the bookstore charges list price. Amazon normally doesn't
Good Luck

Kenshin14435

NORM....YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanx sooooooo much for suggesting that book on JapaneseMaples!
I went through it on the internet and it is sooooooooo helpful. I'm so happy.
THANX SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :() :-() :clap: :mrgreen: :flower:
YOU ARE A O:) (saint)

slx2007

John Naka's books are great, just not enough color pictures for inspiration...

I always wondering why Peter Adam's Japanese Maple Bonsai book has a trident maple on the cover...hmm :wink: ....

Stonelantern does have some good books but can be expensive.

https://www.stonelantern.com/booksbonsai.html#

arboricola

Six;

If you're interested in indoor bonsai Paul Lesniewicz's book Bonsai in Your Home has great color plates of many species.

Phil...

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

slx2007,

The book covers both A. palmatum and A. buergerianum.

Norm

alisios

kdodds wrote: I like Amy Liang's "The Living Art of Bonsai: Principles & Techniques Of Cultivation & Propagation". Great book, with some very good inspiration to draw from.
thanks for the recommendation kdodds. I found this book on Amazon for $12. I can recommend this book also - wonderful pictures and information - some of her trees have made it on Chinese postage stamps -

great book

Kenshin14435

Does anybody have a book called "Keep Your Alive & Well" by Herb L. Gustafson?
I recently got it from the library. It looks like a decent book.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”