Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Re: 2020 What's the weather like where you are?

I have 3 hour 30 min heads up on the next storm. 70 mph wind with lots of hail. No way to make tarps & 5 gallon buckets stay tied down in 70 mph wind. There is nothing I can do to protect plants but hope for the best. I only have 5 buckets tomato plants are 6" taller than buckets. Potato plants are 30 inches tall. Best onion crop ever.

Yesterday storm left a 60 ft tall tree on the roof and another 60 ft tree laying in the yard.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Uh-oh. Stay safe, @Gary. I have possible rain(not storms) predicted for this evening, but really could use it, so I hope I get some.

applestar
Mod

It’s been getting warmer and warmer, but this Friday’s and Saturday’s overnight forecasts are 36°F and 38°F. :shock:

Yeah, I was going to send the winter stay-at-home crowd — citruses, avocados, coffee, Jasmine, overwintered peppers, orchids, etc. etc, — outside en-masse on their summer-outdoors migration/vacation, but the forecast and experts’ opinions warrant a more cautious approach and a more gradual, metered program..... 8)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Clear.

Yesterday was dramatic with 45mph wind gusts and rain blowing sideways. During late afternoon, the skies began to clear.

The Weather Service said 41°f by morning and the airport they were talking about is 40°. They always know better than I do even if they miss. Here at home it is 36° but it's always colder than the airport.

I had moved the tomatoes out of the unheated hoophouse back into the heated greenhouse. I felt that it was likely over-cautious but I've had damaged tomato starts, freshly moved to the hoophouse, when it was 37° in there. It just can't hold heat very well and will only be a few degrees above the outdoors after the hours of darkness and before sunrise. Plants that have never experienced temperatures below the 60° the greenhouse heater keeps them don't handle a sudden chill to near freezing.

Yesterday's rain is now Montana's snow. I had imagined that fog would blanket the landscape this morning if it was very cold but, I guess, the 3mph of air has prevented that. As I say, my guesses don't measure up to what the experts can predict ...

And now, just maybe, we are beyond the frosts. But, I am too much invested in the tomatoes, peppers, eggplant - to throw caution to the wind. I hope that they appreciate that ...

Steve :)

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I was in the kitchen snapping beans and washing dishes when I noticed how black the sky got. Nothing severe, some thunder a little lightening, It rained good, and power stayed on. Temperature is a nice 69. If the dirt road isn't too gooshy tomorrow I'm hoping to take a fishing trip. Sunday morning is predicted to have a high of 47. Too cold for my liking, not cold enough I don't think I'll cover anything. Can't anyway, stuff's too big,

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

junk......more frost tonight then 90 degree next weekend.

Brandywinegirl

Too cold for tomato plants to be out, weather. I put mine on the balcony yesterday for a short time and the leaves started to drop and dry up. It was too cold for them (45 degrees). It looks like by Thursday night the lows will be in the 60's, so fingers crossed, I can get my seedlings in without killing them. The cold damaged my potato leaves, too. Crazy! NY had snowflakes.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

55 every night, 66 to 69 every day, 3 days of rain already, 7 more days of rain. It is too cold to plant seed. Garden is usually planted & finished by May 15. Crazy.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

HIghs in the hot 80's and nights in the 60's. Rain predicted from Saturday all through next week, my poor garden. My onions will probably rot again.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Unsettled - the meteorologists like to call it. Residents in rural areas are mostly always a little worried about people leaving other areas and moving in, bringing dramatic change. I am aware of weather drama elsewhere right now but thought that others might be curious about the "unsettled" parts (in population terms) of the intermountain West. I will try to describe it.

I was also curious since I live and garden at the western edge and between the first mountain ranges, at 2,000 feet. What is happening at higher elevations and on the other side of the Rockies?

Messy. If flooding counts as weather. Snow is falling only above 5,000 feet but the snow news is that what remains of the winter snowpack is melting with the rain. It's becoming a difficult time to live in mountain valleys.

We finally had a significant spring rainy day in my garden with 1.4" falling. That may not sound like much to many of you but think of it this way: The month of May is 2/3rds past. There have been about equal "rainy days" as days with no rain. Counting what happened in all the other May days, they add up to not quite double that 1.4" to 2.7". Whoopty Doo. Can you look at the drought map of the dryside of the Pacific States and understand that reality? Yes. The usual worries about the coming wildfire season ...

Into those Rockies, now! All those widely spaced little cities above 3,000 feet have rain with nighttime temperatures well into the 30's. Better not be driving out of those mountain valleys during early morning hours. Can you imagine the ice skating travel on those highways :wink: ?. End of May, and those conditions continue ... right on past Scapegoat Wilderness Area and out into the Plains.

Steve

applestar
Mod

Hope everyone who lives in my general area is OK. We had a crazy windy, thundery storm sweep through a little after lunch. Apparently a rare system called “derecho storm” — the lightning alert map looked like a giant, solid yellow scimitar was headed our way with The Pin for our house located smack dab in the middle of the curve. :shock:

We came through it OK except for a flicker or two that made the printer restart (and the usual — oven and other kitchen appliances lost their clock setting) — but reports of power outages and falling branches on occupied and parked cars, even a gigantic tree that looks like fell directly on a house in local news.....

applestar
Mod

My goodness I posted prematurely. Rare tornado warning was in effect here until 15 minutes ago. The bulk of the system passed to the south of us (a bit worried for pepperhead...)

But 15 minutes ago and even now, it STILL sounds as if we are hearing the last multi-shot finale of Fourth of July fireworks. ThunDer and lightning everywhere. :eek:

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Stay safe, Applestar! 😮 You to, Pepperhead.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I survived - there were two storm fronts that came through today, with winds up to 80 mph, in areas closeby, with lots of trees down. Fortunately, none of my plants were snapped off. The second storm also had a tornado warning, but slightly north of here, so I was wondering how Applestar had fared, because she was more in line with it. The total rain was 1.33" - not that much, since it moved fast both times.

imafan26
Mod

Wow! It sounds like your storms have hurricane force. Stay safe.
Now, it is 72 degrees with a high in the mid 80's expected. The humidity is down a smidge to 90%, but the trades are starting to come back. There is a slight breeze and it is drizzling from the normal windward and mauka showers. Hurricane season has officially started, although the earliest named storm ever happened in April. The Atlantic coast looks like you will be having a busy start to the season.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Tropical storm Cristobal....Christobol..... Crystal Ball... whatever, is semi predicted to come to Texas by next Tuesday. It may or may not develop into a hurricane. Possible tornadoes and all that good stuff will accompany the storm so I may need to tell my garden goodbye.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

No rain here in a while but living in Tornado alley there is never a dull moment. Big storms & tornadoes 20 miles north of us all the way up into KY. Big storms with tornadoes 10 miles south of us all the way down into AL. Everyone but us is getting, tornadoes, lightning, hail, 2" of rain per hour. I have not seen a GOOD summer thunder storm yet this year. I love the storms with lightning every 10 seconds that go, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, that sounds like World War 2. Garden is very dry it needs rain. My rain water container turned into mosquitoes malaria water I poured it on the garden.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Thunder is starting up again, and I hear the rain! I think it is going through fast, and much less than yesterday.

Update - the power went out very briefly, right after I entered this!

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Gary350 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:38 pm
No rain here in a while but living in Tornado alley there is never a dull moment. Big storms & tornadoes 20 miles north of us all the way up into KY. Big storms with tornadoes 10 miles south of us all the way down into AL. Everyone but us is getting, tornadoes, lightning, hail, 2" of rain per hour. I have not seen a GOOD summer thunder storm yet this year. I love the storms with lightning every 10 seconds that go, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, that sounds like World War 2. Garden is very dry it needs rain. My rain water container turned into mosquitoes malaria water I poured it on the garden.
This time of year the closest you can get to a thunderstorm is a nature app. I've got some I can recommend you if you really enjoy listening to a loud, scary thunderstorm.
It usually gets pretty dry here starting June. We really do need some rain, my barrel is getting empty. In a way, I kinda wish Cristobal would scrape by here. Perhaps if it heads more towards Louisiana, we might get a little of it, I hope.

imafan26
Mod

I have had a couple of days of early morning showers with some light drizzles during the day. It makes for muggy days and it is not enough water to water the garden. Hopefully, it is not enough to encourage the grass to grow either. I hate mowing. Right now it is fairly cool at 72 degrees. The road is still wet from last night's rain. The winds are still light at 3-5 mph but should go up to 30 mph and should be a good day at least in the morning and evening. The midday will still be hot in the mid 80's. It is typical for this time of year.

Hurricanes rarely become a threat until later in the season. The Pacific High protects us from the worst storms early in the season. Tornadoes are even rarer but we do get water spouts and very small dust devils just a few feet tall in the hotter areas. I live on the central plain and at my elevation, it is 5-9 degrees cooler than at sea level. It rarely gets above 91 here. It can reach 104 degrees in Waipahu, Kapolei, and Honolulu where there is a lot of concrete and asphalt near sea level. The hottest days will be August - October. On an island. I actually live about 10 miles from Pearl Harbor. I can see it from the road, but not from my house since I don't have a view lot.

The ocean temperature is around 77 degrees now, so it is good weather for the beach. The beach was so crowded when it finally opened up to sitting on memorial weekend, that the stores were relatively empty.

With the increase in daylight hours everything in the garden is growing faster. Except the grass. It is going dormant, but that means less mowing unless it rains. Weeds take advantage of any rain.
My rain barrels are still full.

There hasn't been much thunder here lately. Just aerial fireworks late at night.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Outrageously hot, and dry as a bone. Tropical storm went to Louisiana instead of Texas, so no rain for over a week, and no rain in the future for over a week. But what do I expect in my area now that it's June. From the winter months to the early spring- too much rain. But when June gets here- No rain, just boiling heat.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Had an unexpected storm last night around 11pm. Thunder sounded like cannonfire and rained hard.
Another storm at 6am this morning. Rained extremely hard. Power went off two hours later and was off for 45 minutes. Why the electricity waits to go off AFTER the storm is over is beyond me.
More goop is headed my way, guess I will go build a boat.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

How is it where you are, @apple? I just got .78", in about 35 min. - it has let up, but not stopped. And I got about 2 min. of ¼" hail! Hopefully, no damage. And it looks worse up north.

Now I hear more thunder getting louder...and now rain getting louder...

We did need rain, but this is why I dug the rest of that garlic up - it would be in mud now!

It's actually up to .92" now.

applestar
Mod

Thunder/lightning and pouring rain with pea-sized hail
Thunder/lightning and pouring rain with pea-sized hail
0BB16836-BCF8-4E80-BE40-98B0F5587223.gif (1.34 MiB) Viewed 7062 times
Rain and Hail (pea-size?) here as well. Thunderbooming all around the house 3 or 4 times. Couple of strikes nearby but not us according to the lightning tracker.

Silverlining is I was concerned that the clogged roof gutters/downspouts I have not been able to deal with would potentially result in severe leak or damage — but instead the beating downpour managed to clear both gutters that are visible from windows. Hopefully, others have been cleared as well.....

You were smart to dig up the garlic — I was looking at them this morning but gave up as I was *** BUSY WATERING THE REST OF THE GARDEN *** —- some fruit trees and shrubs were starting to wilt and chance of rain was only 30-40%. :shock:

— I tell ya — it works every time. You just have to “prime” the well and it pours. :roll:

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Or wash the car! :D

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Rain every day. Never seen this before in summer in TN 5" last week.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

This is just weird. Had ANOTHER storm last night, hard rain, bad lightening and thunder. I just don't normally get this much rain during July. And guess what? There's MORE TO COME. Just south of Dallas but headed straight for me.
What in the world is going on? But...then again...this is a very, very, odd year. What else could go wrong? My backyard is flooded, and the frogs are happy.

The 'water the garden and then it rain's happened to me this year. I spent a while out in the heat, all hot and sweaty out watering everything and by evening time, it rained. 😆

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

TomatoNut95 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:20 am
This is just weird. Had ANOTHER storm last night, hard rain, bad lightening and thunder. I just don't normally get this much rain during July. And guess what? There's MORE TO COME. Just south of Dallas but headed straight for me.
What in the world is going on? But...then again...this is a very, very, odd year. What else could go wrong? My backyard is flooded, and the frogs are happy.

The 'water the garden and then it rain's happened to me this year. I spent a while out in the heat, all hot and sweaty out watering everything and by evening time, it rained. 😆
Same thing here. It is usually dry as desert with little rain July & Aug but we are getting rain every day 5" last week. We had 6 months of rain 5 ft 4 inches total Jan to June, now more rain every day and forecast is rain every day for another week. Garden plants are loving it.
Last edited by Gary350 on Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Looks like the mess headed for me kinda broke up some. My garden doesn't need anymore rain, my potatoes and onions will probably rot.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

The weather lady said, it is going to warm up to 90 degrees by 3 pm but humidity is so high it will feel like 400. LOL :clap:

applestar
Mod

I was outside for about an hour earlier. It wasn’t even 76°F yet, and overcast, but humidity was nearly 100% and I came back inside with my shirt plastered to my back and my head ready to explode.

It REALLY helped that I was wearing a dripping wet bandana around my neck — I’ve discovered this is an easy way to keep my neck cooler, and while not as effective as other methods, can double as a face covering if I need to approach a neighbor or a delivery person.

When it gets too unbearable, though, nothing beats thoroughly soaking my head and hair. You know you’re in danger of overheating when the cold water you’re putting on your head drips down your face or neck as warm water heated by your hot head.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Cloudy, but hot and humid out there!! It's awful! Current temperature is 88. Felt like 200.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Maybe it will help some of you to think of someplace cool. Let me tell you about my backyard. I came in from hanging 3 loads of laundry out. It was 50°f when I started before 7am. The afternoon high is expected to be 75°. That's what it was yesterday afternoon but there were high wind gusts and a sprinkle of rain - not a day for laundry on the line.

Cool enuf? Emptying each basket, it was nice coming back into the house. But, neighboring communities were even cooler. Out where I used to live (and garden), the morning low was 43° and in a nearby town where I once thought to move with retirement, it was 39°. Brrrr

Down the road about 500 miles on this side of the Cascades but at a higher elevation than here at home: I checked on Crater Lake National Park. The crews have cleared all the snow from the East Rim Drive, part of the road that circles the lake, but it isn't open to vehicles yet. Any day it will be about this time of year! I'll include a picture from the Park Service and maybe that will help some of you feel a little more comfortable.

Steve
crater lake.jpg

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

That's gorgeous!!!!!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The island is known as:

Wizard Island.

Teleportation to that location is possible from anywhere on Earth.

:wink: digitS'

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Weather report at 4 am is, Dark with a very nice 3/4 moon that lights up the sky & yard. Wind is dead calm with several lightning bugs and the sounds of a few crickets. Continued Dark then scattered light about 5 am. Birds are waking up and starting to make sounds & coming to the bird feeders. Completely light about 5:20 am with continued light all day until dark again about 8:30 pm. Moon travels east to west about 50 minutes later every night.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

gary, where in tennessee are you that it's completely light at 5:20? I'm in north carolina and the sun rose at 6:23 this morning. I'm surprised it's so different.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

!potatoes! wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:40 pm
gary, where in tennessee are you that it's completely light at 5:20? I'm in north carolina and the sun rose at 6:23 this morning. I'm surprised it's so different.
I checked the official sun rise for zip code 37129 it is 5:37 am, we are 30 miles south/east of Nashville TN. I'm not sure what official sun rise really means? It was plenty light at 5:20 am this morning no clouds and not over cast and no fog, blue sky. We are about 80 miles from the dividing line between eastern time zone & central time zone.

I did Google search for official sunrise and found this. Likewise sunrise is defined as the point when the leading edge of the sun is first visible even though this is some minutes before the sun actually rises above the horizon. You ask where the sun really is: when the sun sets and rises it is about one solar diameter below where it appears to be, I.e. about half a degree.

Google says, 1 solar diameter is 432,288. miles.

The thing that makes this very confusing is how close you live to each time zone dividing line and how close you live to the north pole. If you get close enough to the north pole sun never does down it goes around and around in the sky in summer and never gets dark.

Check this link for sun rise and sun set.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/

applestar
Mod

Does elevation make a difference, too?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:44 pm
Does elevation make a difference, too?
YES elevation makes a difference too. If your about 11,000. ft up on a mountain your about 2 miles above the horizon you can see sun light before people down low see it. If you out west when sun comes up mountain tops light up first.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”