Mommagreen

Corn tassles already?

My corn is already knee high but I can see tassels growing inside the corn, I am a bit worried that my corn is now doomed.

Do I have any hope that my corn will be ok? My corn is my favorite thing to grow, well next to the tomatoes and beans that is. :lol:

rootsy
Green Thumb

If you dissect a stalk that is only 1/2 knee high you will also find a tassle tucked way down inside...

What is your corn maturity and when did you put it in the ground?

Mommagreen

I have sugar buns, I think they are 72 days. I planted them the last week of May and they were about four inches tall. They've grown nicely though.

This is what they look like.

[img]https://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh6/SamIamnot83/HPIM2971.jpg[/img]

First time growing corn solo, so I am still a little in the dark about corn at time.

rootsy
Green Thumb

You're saying you transplanted them?

It's corn... It knows what to do... it was all right there in that little kernel to begin with.

Sugar Buns is a 65 day SE. Plants are only going to be about 5 1/2 feet.

Any Stewart's Wilt? The corn flea beetles wintered well here in Southern Michigan...

Plant in the photo looks healthy... wouldn't lose sleep over it

Mommagreen

rootsy wrote:You're saying you transplanted them?

It's corn... It knows what to do... it was all right there in that little kernel to begin with.

Sugar Buns is a 65 day SE. Plants are only going to be about 5 1/2 feet.

Any Stewart's Wilt? The corn flea beetles wintered well here in Southern Michigan...

Plant in the photo looks healthy... wouldn't lose sleep over it
Yep I transplanted them. No beetles or wilt from what I can tell. I did have a slight problem with the white grubs but I plan on planting some radishes in the hopes it will leave my plants alone.

praying mantis
Cool Member

I have 24 stalks of corn between 3-5ft high. The tassels are now visible. Since this is my first time growing corn, I don't know what to expect or whether to worry about some being mature before others. They are absolutely beautiful.

I am trying to prepare beans on the side to transplant into the corn. The local bunny ate most of the pea plants. As of this morning, I have a fence-gate to keep the bunny out....I hope.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”