applestar
Mod

Vole (?) in my raised bed

I turned on the soaker hose, and started weeding, and the dirt started wriggling right under my nose! :shock: "What the ?" -- Little black body the size of a gerbil/hamster came out of the dirt, humped and went back underneath! I followed/watched the wriggling dirt and a little pink nose came out. Eyes appeared to be closed (makes sense -- don't want dirt in his eyes!). I'm pretty sure this is a vole.

The question is, is he eating my veggie's roots? Is he the one that's been nipping leaves off my carrot seedlings and bits of the bean leaves? The damage hasn't been very extensive so I thought it was some kind of a bug.

I saw fresh dirt at the base of the raised bed and sure enough he peeked out of that hole too. Hopefully the watering will flood all his tunnels and he'll move out.... But if he doesn't, what should I do? :?

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Wrong color for a vole or a field mouse and they don't shut their eyes as you described. Sounds an awful lot like a mole to me right on down to the size and the pink nose! Moles are definitely friend not foe. They eat things that eat the roots of your plants! Pull out the hose!

applestar
Mod

Pull out the hose!
:lol: Ha ha :roll:
Well, That's a relief. Thanks! Maybe Mr. Mole and I can work out an arrangement -- when the soil gets dry, I water. Foraging hours start as soon as wetness level is comfortable until next time I water. 8)

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Yes, it is good to encourage moles and besides which, they're cuter than the dickens. They're free pest control!

applestar
Mod

Oh he IS sooo cute! I slipped back to the house and got the kids -- We all snuck back to the veggie garden in case our feet pounding the ground would scare it -- and they got to see the busy little wriggling, humping body and the wee pink nose. They were enchanted. :D

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Way to go applestar!

Wait until you get to see your first shrew. They're adorable too. Their coats look like something you'd expect to see on a store bought plush toy.

Jess
Greener Thumb

TheLorax wrote:Way to go applestar!

Wait until you get to see your first shrew. They're adorable too. Their coats look like something you'd expect to see on a store bought plush toy.
That is so true. They are just sooo sweet. I think seeing the wildlife is one of the best reasons to garden. Today I saw a hare for only the second time in my life and last week I saw a weasel!

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I think seeing the wildlife is one of the best reasons to garden.
And this is exactly why I "garden". I'm a wildlife gardener! I love the critters!

Return to “Wildlife - Gardening with Local Critters in Mind”