Monroe
Newly Registered

Bell pepper plants

I planted 4 bell pepper plants over a month ago and they are not growing. They havent changed in color at all but they havent grown in size one bit. Only 1 plant seems to be producing any peppers and its only growing 1. They were by the tomatoes but I heard theu wont do well there so a week ago I moved them. Any help is appreciate

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Hey Monroe, it always helps to say where you're located, what climate zone (put it in your profile) and give as much detail as poss. about any problem you have. So... what's your weather & overnight temps been like, are these transplanted seedlings you raised yourself or purchased plants, in raised beds; containers, etc, etc? You have peppers on your plants; where I am my pepper plants are only about 2" high. Your mileage may vary, as they say!

I'm unlikely to be much help about your peppers, but given enough info someone else probably will. Good luck with them meantime.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Monroe, maybe take a look at this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=46121

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Vanisle asks good questions. It would help to know what conditions have been like, are they getting enough sun, etc.

But I have a private theory that sometimes when little plants just sit there and don't grow, but don't die, something has interfered with them developing good root systems. You said you moved some (I always grow peppers next to tomatoes, so I doubt that was the problem). Did you see the roots/ root ball when you were moving it? It should have a well developed root system that is as wide and long as the plant:

Full grown pepper plant root system would look like this:

If you don't know, I would dig one up and gently shake enough dirt off the roots to see what is going on. Does it have enough roots? Are they firm and white and healthy?

Monroe
Newly Registered

Youre right, I'm in Iowa, overnight temps have been good between 60-70 depending, no frost issues. These were store bought plants. I'm in sandy soil but covered the entire garden with some good compost about an inch thick.

Monroe
Newly Registered

Rainbow,

When I moved them their roots were no bigger then when I initially planted them, never thought about that until your post, wonder why thats happening.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My pepper plants do not like hard soil. They always do very well if I till 50% peat moss into the soil so roots can grow very easy. Plants do much better with 15/15/15 fertilizer and nitrogen fertilizer. Pellet Lime = calcium, prevents BER. Once plants get 12" tall hill soil up 8" high on plants to hold moisture. If I do this plants are sometimes 6 ft tall & loaded with large peppers. Peppers are suppose to like full sun but mine do better with shade the hottest part of the day, plant them on the east side of a tall shade tree, house or fence.
Last edited by Gary350 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, they should have been growing roots first, before other parts.

Lets see:

Were the roots pot bound (going around and around the outside of the root ball) when you transplanted them? Did you loosen them up so all the roots were hanging down straight?

this is a severe case of root bound:

Did you make a big enough hole? The planting hole should be at least twice as wide as the root ball and a little bit deeper. Poke a few holes in the bottom of the hole for drainage. Put some loose soil in the bottom, put the plant in and fill in the hole with soft, loosened up dirt. Pack it down a little, water, add more dirt and pack down a little more, to get air pockets out.

How is the drainage? Has it been over watered or with water standing around the roots?

Have you ever had your soil tested? Phosphorus and potassium are necessary for good root development. Bone meal and rock phosphate are natural, slow-release sources of phosphorus. Kelp, granite meal, greensand are sources of potassium. If you are buying synthetic fertilizer, look for something that is high in the last two numbers, like 3-20-20 for root development.

That's all I can think of off hand, maybe others will have more ideas.

Monroe
Newly Registered

Roots werent pot bound, ill try mixing pete moss into my soil and replant them!

imafan26
Mod

Peppers like it warm between 70 and 80 degrees. They grow slowly from seed and they don't do much top growing the first month. I usually transplant peppers that are 4 inches tall or about 1 month old to 1 gallon pots. They need the space for the roots to grow. If they are kept in smaller pots longer, they stay relatively small. By the third month they have flowered and are producing their first fruits. They like to be in the sun, they need a generous pot or to be in the ground for their roots to spread out. I usually feed peppers monthly with 1 tablespoon of 6-4-6 fertilizer. It has slow nitrogen. Alternatively you can give it fish emulsion and compost tea weekly. After the first fruiting peppers are either transplanted out to the ground or put in 5 gallon buckets with 1/2 cup all purpose fertilizer mixed in. This will be their home until they die. Except Hawaiian chilies, and super chilies. These peppers live more than a couple of years ( 8-10 years average) so I put them in 20 inch pots.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”