mo
Newly Registered

up side down roots

I believe I planted my orange butterfly plants upside down. I thought the new growth on the end of the root was the plant growing. but a week later I realized it was probably the root growing. I'm going to turn them around and hope for the best. anyone else ever make this silly mistake and was it fixable? :oops: mo

NewjerseyTea

Hi mo,
When in doubt plant sideways. I've be confused about which side is up with bulbs and used the sideways trick and I've removed bulbs and replanted a few times. Was your plant bare root? Bare root is as tricky to find the top side as some bulbs. It is a easily fixable mistake.

My boss tells the story of his apprentice years in France as a designer when he was assigned the lowest jobs. He was given the task of planting the tulips. When none bloomed in the spring it was discovered he planted them upside down. Needless to say the punishment was severe. Months of cleaning out the
worst of the worst.

mo
Newly Registered

yes the plants are bare roots. do you think I can still plant them side ways. My gut tells me there upside down. I'm just not sure the young plants will survive my mistake. :shock:

NewjerseyTea

Hi mo,
Sorry for the delay in answering. The storms hit our area hard in the past week and we lost power for awhile.
Plants are very forgiving, I think they will survive fine. Don't be afraid to move plants, I think I've moved all the plants and shrubs in my garden at least once until I found the correct spot. I only lost a few that objected to the timing. You have the roots moist in soil which is the important thing for bareroot, so dig them up and replant. Trust your instinct on which way is up. With bareroot most of the growth will be the root. If you still can't tell and want to plant side ways just make sure it's not too deep for the crown (top growth).

When I wasn't sure which way was up with my bulbs I called the nursery and they helped. If you are still concerned maybe you could try calling.

Return to “Perennials”