garden5
Super Green Thumb

Jal, do you plant any winter crops or cover-crops? How about any garlic?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

No winter crops here. We get hard frost about mid September and nothing grows after that except icicles. My fall crop was planted first week of July. Corn. It should make it about October 1, even after the laeves get frozen.

Garlic yes, and also shallots and Egyptian onions. I didn't plant any cover crops this season. I haven't had much space free up yet and we are only 2 or 3 weeks from frost. Right now I am just hoping my tomatoes will get ripe. I will probably have to cover them as usual and ripen them under wraps.

Tonight's Full Moon
[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/moon_aug_23_10.jpg[/img]

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Diatomaceous Earth will get the earwigs.

I also hunt them with a spray bottle filled with soapy water. It doesn't take a lot of soap. Maybe a tablespoonful in a kitchen spray bottle. Go out at night with a flashlight. They are night creatures and hide up in the daytime.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Garlic, shallots, and top-set onions are kind of what I meant by "winter crops." They grow through the winter and you can harvest in the summer.

I know how you feel with the cover crops. I leave most of my plants in right up until frost, so by the time I get space...it's almost too late.

One of the ideas I've read of is to plant 2 gardens, and alternate between them each year, growing veg in one and cover crops in another.....something I'd do if I had the land.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/medley.jpg[/img]

lily51
Greener Thumb

Great garden! Whatever you're doing, keep on keepin' on. You obviously love to garden and do it well.
As for the size, it may be large by today's city standards, but here in the country where we live, large gardens are not unusual.
By the way, what beautiful sunsets you have.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

One of the ideas I've read of is to plant 2 gardens, and alternate between them each year, growing veg in one and cover crops in another.....something I'd do if I had the land.
That would work great. A cover crop is a great way to get loads of organic matter.

I have plenty of space to do that, but have found I can keep the soil fertrility up by adding lots of organic matter each season. I like to do my deep tilling in the fall and till in the organic matter then. I don't like to deep till in the spring. The soil is too wet and if tilled it turns to clods.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Beautiful picture of your harvest, Jal, what beautiful colors. Not only do you do a great job with your garden, you also document it well to share with the rest of us. We can almost taste it!

I have a second (and third) crop of straight neck squash---2nd is producing and 3rd has just sprouted. Still hot in Alabama so I have to make sure they have water, and some plants do that make it.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:
That would work great. A cover crop is a great way to get loads of organic matter.

I have plenty of space to do that, but have found I can keep the soil fertrility up by adding lots of organic matter each season. I like to do my deep tilling in the fall and till in the organic matter then. I don't like to deep till in the spring. The soil is too wet and if tilled it turns to clods.
I guess as long as you're adding organic matter, be it grown in the garden (cover crops) or elsewhere (leaves, grass, hay, etc.) you're on the right track.

Oh, and great harvest pic. Must have taken you pretty long to arrange it.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Sorry, since Photobucket dumped us on our heads, none of my pics are visible.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I do have some pictures on this site if you are interested? Also a cookbook.

https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Photobucket is a goner. I do have some things on another site if you are interested: https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/

Be sure to check out the Lofthouse Family Cookbook

pow wow

I hear you about Photobucket. Holding my pictures for ransom, I sent them a nasty email and told them there's no way I'm paying them hundreds of dollars a year. I also told them to enjoy my pictures.
So I've gone to flickr, I wish I had never gone with photobucket in the first place.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

pow wow, I deleted all my photos on Photobucket. I am not leaving them there for them to do as they will with them. I have some stuff with flickr too, but they seem a bit cranky about using them for 3rd party hosting. What other options are out there?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”