SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Seed Starting for 2018

Here is my list with starting dates, please offer any suggestions. This will be Zone 7A.

All start dates are prior to last frost not first planting.
  • Purple Passion Flower, Maypop "Passiflora Incarnata" - [Perennial HEIRLOOM] - started January 15th
  • Artichoke, Imperial Star - [Perennial HEIRLOOM] - February 3rd
  • Artichoke, Green Globe - [Perennial HEIRLOOM] - February 3rd
  • Purple Coneflower - Echinacea - Tennesseensis now?????
  • Herb, Rosemary - 10 weeks - February 11th
  • Leeks, Dawn Giant - 8 weeks - February 17th
  • Leeks, American Flag - 8 weeks - February 17th
  • Cabbage, ?? - 8 weeks - February 17th
  • Pepper, Sweet - California Wonder [HEIRLOOM] - 7-8 weeks - February 24th Harvest seeds 2016
  • Pepper, Sweet - Corno di Toro Giallo Pepper (Yellow)[HEIRLOOM] - 7-8 weeks - February 24th Harvest seeds from 2017
  • Pepper, Sweet - Corno di Toro Rosso Pepper (Red) [HEIRLOOM] - 7-8 weeks February 24th
  • Pepper, Sweet - Ruby King - 7-8 weeks - February 26th Harvest seeds from 2017
  • Pepper, Sweet - Red Marconi [HEIRLOOM] - 7-8 weeks - February 24th
  • Pepper, Sweet - Giant Marconi [Hybrid ] - 7-8 weeks - February 24th
  • Pepper, Sweet - Emerald Giant Bell [HEIRLOOM] - 7-8 - weeks February 24th
  • Pepper, Sweet - Acongagua [HEIRLOOM] - 7-8 weeks - February 24th
  • Pepper, Hot - Tabasco [HEIRLOOM] - 7-8 weeks - February 24th Harvest seeds from 2017
  • Pepper, Hot - Serrano [HEIRLOOM] - 7-8 weeks - February 24th
  • Pepper, Hot - Jalapeno [HEIRLOOM] - 7-8 weeks - February 24th Harvest seeds from 2017
  • Pepper, Hot - Poblano [HEIRLOOM] - 7-8 weeks - February 24th Harvest seeds from 2017
  • Herb, Parsley - 7-8 weeks - February 24th
  • Tomato, Cape Gooseberry - [HEIRLOOM] - 6 weeks - March 3rd
  • Brassica, Broccoli - [HEIRLOOM] - 6 weeks - March 3rd
  • Squash, Zucchini - [HEIRLOOM] - 6 weeks - March 3rd
  • Eggplant, Listada Di Gandia - [HEIRLOOM] - 5 weeks - March 10th
  • Eggplant, Black Beauty - [HEIRLOOM] - 6 weeks - March 10th Harvest seeds from 2017
  • Lovage, - [Perennial] - 5 weeks - March 17th
  • Tomato, Rutgers - [HEIRLOOM] - 5 weeks - March 17th
  • Tomato, Matt's wild cherry - 5 weeks - March 17th Harvest seeds from 2016
  • Tomato, Brandywine Red (Potato Leaf) [HEIRLOOM] - 5 weeks - March 17th Harvest seeds from 2017
  • Tomato, True Black Brandywine Red (Potato Leaf) [HEIRLOOM] - 5 weeks - March 17th Harvest seeds from 2017
  • Tomato, Sprite (Determinate) - [HEIRLOOM] - 5 weeks - March 17th
  • Tomato, Cherokee Purple - [HEIRLOOM] - 5 weeks - March 17th Harvest seeds from 2017
  • Tomato, Boxcar Willie - [HEIRLOOM] - 5 weeks - March 17th Harvest seeds from 2017
  • Flower, Marigold - 6 weeks - March 17th Harvest seeds from 2017
  • Herb, Basil - 6 weeks - March 17th - take cuttings for more plants
  • Lettuce, Black Seeded Simpson - Direct Sow - March 17th
  • Lettuce, Paris Island Romaine - Direct Sow - March 17th
  • Lettuce, Red Russian Kale - Direct Sow - March 17th
  • Chard, Perpetual Spinach - Direct Sow - March 17th
  • Sorrel, Green De Belleville [HEIRLOOM] Perennial- Direct Sow - March 17th
  • Radishes - [HEIRLOOM] - 6 weeks - March 17th
  • Brassica, Broccoli – Direct Sow - March 17th
  • Herb, Dill – Direct Sow - March 17th Harvest seeds from 2017
  • Pea, Swenson Swedish, Snow Pea - (Vine) [HEIRLOOM] - Direct Sow - March 17th
  • Chard, Fordhook Swiss Chard – Direct Sow - April 14th
  • Watermelon, Bush Sugar Baby - 12lbs. 80 days, Direct Sow - April 14th
  • Watermelon, All Sweet - 22lbs 100 days, Direct Sow - April 14th
  • Squash, Spaghetti Squash - [HEIRLOOM] - Direct Sow - April 14th
  • Squash, Table Dainty - [HEIRLOOM] - Direct Sow - April 14th
  • Bean, Purple Thai Yard Long Bean (Asparagus Bean) - [HEIRLOOM] - Direct Sow - April 14th
  • Alium, Garlic - Sprout Inside September 1st
  • Hardy Kiwi - June

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Looks like you have it figured out. On the tomato seeds how many weeks do you think from seed in soil TO plant in garden? I tell myself every year I will figure that out, but instead I just keep planting new seed every couple weeks and have more than enough plants whenever I am ready to put them in soil. I may go only Cherokee Purple, Gary O'Sena and Brandywine this year.
On pepper and egg plant, I always have a tough time getting seed to germinate. I do not keep my greenhouse very warm and I think the pepper seed do not like that.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Last year I was pretty good with timing, this year I'm starting the tomato seeds a week later.
For tomatoes, I'm looking at 5 weeks inside, then a week of hardening off.
If the weather is bad 6 weeks inside 1 week for hardening off.
I'll probably plant the peppers a week later than the tomatoes.
Some of my peppers take a few days to sprout, others 7-10 days.
Hots take a little longer.
I was gonna pass on the Cherokee purple due too everyone splitting, but by the end of the season I figured out the best way to harvest them.
I pick them before they're ripe, they were hard to judge when to pick due to their color, (chalked up to operator error).
I do love the CP's

applestar
Mod

Like lakngulf mentioned, seed start timing depends on your seed starting set up. If you have optimal germination set up for the type of seeds, initial sprouting period can be more predictable. Temps in 60’s - 75 for cool sprouting, 75-80 for tomatoes, 80-85 with soil heating for peppers and eggplants.

My growing conditions are on the cool side, too, this keeps the tomato seedlings stout, and pepper/eggplants take longer to grow.

I start peppers after 2/14, late maturing and slower Dwarf tomatoes last week of Feb to 1st week of March, and main tomato varieties 1st to 2nd week. I find tomato seedlings started after mid-March are too late or suffer at pre-planting in comparison.

Broccoli varieties vary in how fast they mature. In my area, there is a ridiculously abrupt transition from freezing/frost to 80’s high — usually Less than 2 weeks. So it seems to work better if I start the broccoli much earlier. And they can take the cold in the garage and can use the space while temperatures fall down to 40’s or below and too cold for tomato seedlings.

...my last average frost is last week of April.

Similarly, I try to grow (and overwinter) things in the garage — where I try to keep coldest temp in the mid-20’s —that folks in the southern states with milder winters grow during the winter. They are moved outside in just-in-time production process as warmer season seedlings that are started in the house grow up to need the space.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Like lakngulf mentioned, seed start timing depends on your seed starting set up. If you have optimal germination set up for the type of seeds, initial sprouting period can be more predictable. Temps in 60’s - 75 for cool sprouting, 75-80 for tomatoes, 80-85 with soil heating for peppers and eggplants.

My growing conditions are on the cool side, too, this keeps the tomato seedlings stout, and pepper/eggplants take longer to grow.

I start peppers after 2/14, late maturing and slower Dwarf tomatoes last week of Feb to 1st week of March, and main tomato varieties 1st to 2nd week. I find tomato seedlings started after mid-March are too late or suffer at pre-planting in comparison.

Broccoli varieties vary in how fast they mature. In my area, there is a ridiculously abrupt transition from freezing/frost to 80’s high — usually Less than 2 weeks. So it seems to work better if I start the broccoli much earlier. And they can take the cold in the garage and can use the space while temperatures fall down to 40’s or below and too cold for tomato seedlings.

...my last average frost is last week of April.

Similarly, I try to grow (and overwinter) things in the garage — where I try to keep coldest temp in the mid-20’s —that folks in the southern states with milder winters grow during the winter. They are moved outside in just-in-time production process as warmer season seedlings that are started in the house grow up to need the space.
Thanks, that helps, especially about the broccoli, I have the same issue with a non-existent spring. I will definitely add a few weeks to these.

I usually run my heat mats 78°F- 80°F, do you think it would be better to start the tomatoes a week or two earlier, like March 3rd, and run the mats about 70°F?

These were my plants last year a week before being planted, I'm afraid of having a jungle if I plant too early.

This was 2016 and it was too much to deal with, I had to pot up to 1 gallon pots. Some of the tomato plants had marble sized tomatoes already.

My little table cant handle this bulk.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

SQWIB wrote:I was gonna pass on the Cherokee purple due too everyone splitting, but by the end of the season I figured out the best way to harvest them.
I pick them before they're ripe, they were hard to judge when to pick due to their color, (chalked up to operator error).
I do love the CP's
Exactly. I tell folks they are ripe before you think. And knowing when to pick is the key. We just put two 1gallon bags of frozen Cherokee Purple in big pot as the start for some chili on a cold day. 2 inches of snow last night and temps at 16 degrees this morning. That is COLD for these Alabama bones and muscles.
So I'm picking out pecans.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”