kdkam
Newly Registered

Do I have a squash, a gourd, or a pumpkin?

We have a small garden area where we plant zucchini and summer squash in spring and summer and pumpkins in the fall. This year we are unable to plant anything because of travel. A vine came up on its own and produced a vegetable I have not ever planted. I have looked on several websites and cannot identify it exactly. Looks kind of like a Delicata but mine have much more green. They start out all green, then develop yellow stripes. About a week after I cut them, they turn to gold and orange striped. The skin toughens a bit but not much. They are between 10 and 15 inches tall. I tasted a small piece and it tastes allot like a pumpkin but not sure it is safe to eat. None of the local farmers knew what it was so now I am really curious.
Attachments
Mystery Squash
Mystery Squash

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

If it's palatable, it's edible. It could be that some delicata crossed with a gourd - if so you got lucky that it's not more gourdlike/harder.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Delicata is a Cucurbita pepo. This species includes zucchini, which is in so many gardens. If it wasn't in yours, it may well have been growing a hundred yards or so away and bees pay little attention to fences :wink: .

Cucurbita pepo also includes some of the gourds. Seems like most of the warty types popular now, are in this species. Jack o'lantern pumpkins are also Cucurbita pepo.

The flowers in your and you neighbors' gardens are likely open and inviting the pollinators.

Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The squash in your garden will cross pollinate with any other squash growing in the neighborhood. The bees spread the pollen around. If you save seed from squash, or if you get a volunteer, next years crop will never be the same, yet it may still be good eating. You just gotta try it to see. :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Here is an example:

On the left a Hubbard, On the right a Banana, in the center a hybrid cross.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”