Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Vegetable gardening today?

. I'll leave the blinds open. :lol:
Last edited by Charlie MV on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yikes! Thats hot!

Reptilicus
Cool Member

Yeah, it's nice weather here. We running 97degrees. We are fortunate that the humidity is only in the 35% range today.

Ya gotta watch out for that rooster driving that ice cream truck weather. :wink:

You see a rooster driving an ice cream truck you are having a heat stroke. :lol:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

beware of the rooster.
Last edited by Charlie MV on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reptilicus
Cool Member

Charlie MV wrote:That's funny! Gonna be even hotter for another week at least. I'll beware of the rooster.
I hear ya, Charlie. Gonna be sho' nuff hot in the dog days. I did take a look at the temperature yesterday...it said 103 at my house.:shock: I keep hearing 'pop goes the weasel' tune off in the distance. Luckily I had ice cold beer and water to keep the rooster at bay. :>

It's definitely gonna be a 'bake biscuits on the sidewalk day' today.

:lol:

pete28

Yep my neck of the woods here in FL hit 103 with 100% humidity today so no gardening. My pumpkins are not happya bout it

Reptilicus
Cool Member

pete28 wrote:Yep my neck of the woods here in FL hit 103 with 100% humidity today so no gardening. My pumpkins are not happya bout it
I thought you were suppose to plant pumpkins in the fall. You can plant them in the summertime? :shock:

JennyC
Green Thumb

I planted pumpkins here in NW Georgia on April 24. So far they're happy -- have survived several days over 100 degrees, and the plants are big and setting fruit. It'll be a race to see if they make it by Halloween, though! If they survive the heat, that is.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

completely happy.
Last edited by Charlie MV on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pete28

Pumpkins usually are for the fall but I have them in a shady spot with a good breeze and I give them plenty of water. : )

JennyC
Green Thumb

Yep. With our water restrictions (we can water food gardens as needed, except that I know many of my neighbors don't have enough water and I don't want to make it worse) I water pumpklins, new plants, and whatever's wilted -- nothing else. We did get a little rain this afternoon, and it was much cooler today, probably not over 90. I'll let you guys know if I get any pumpkins!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Oh Lord. I remember one year when I lived in Atlanta, it was over 100° for seventeen days straight in July. The humidity was awful, and it WOULD NOT RAIN.

Talk about oppressive weather conditions.

I feel for ya'll. Yikes.

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

Reptilicus
Cool Member

Atlanta is getting hit prudy hard. I live down in Albany. It's just a sweltering jungle type of feel. The humidity is ridiculous here. You break out into a light sweat just walking 20 feet to get in car.

I've got loads of jalepenos growing and I have a good bit of banana pepper. I got alot of tomatoes as well. I didn't 'sucker' or trim the first ones I planted correctly according to what I've read lately. BUt they are still doing well. I did trim up the last batch of tomatoes according to this web site pictures.
https://www.taunton.com/finegardening/how-to/articles/pruning-tomatoes.aspx
Wish me luck with them.

I was out in the heat last saturday and sunday all day. I have been slack and the grass was knee deep. I chopped it all and just I laid out newspaper and cardboard over it. Then I raked up piles of pinestraw to cover it all. It looks alot better and with that paper and pine straw covering the soakers it should make the plants happier.

That rooster was circling the neighborhood. I could hear that ice cream truck music. :lol:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”