sck1975
Newly Registered

Tomato or Celery

This is a peculiar find in our garden I had to upload some photos because I could not find anything on the internet. This was a cherry tomato that somehow cross pollinated with a celery plant.
Attachments
IMG_20170831_172501.jpg
IMG_20170831_172441.jpg
IMG_20170831_172432.jpg

applestar
Mod

Hahaha that's funny! :lol: ...maybe they want to be cooked together -- we'll be hot and steamy forever! :>

bri80

Not to imply the OP is deliberately misleading (maybe the tomatoes fell off and landed in the celery in a way that they didn't come apart easily, and the OP thought they were the same), but I don't think this is legit... if you look closely at the photos you can see where the tomato stems are cut off/broken off like normal from a tomato plant, and sitting within the leaves of the celery in a manner that makes it look, at first glance, to be the same plant. You can even see how the smooth celery stems are different from the hairy tomato stems.

I don't think celery and tomato, being separate species, can cross. They're not even closely related.

OP, can you explain/post better pictures, or a youtube video?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

The stalk and leaves look like celery and the tomatoes look like tomatoes. LOL. Some day science may learn how to cross beans with watermelons then 1 bean that weighs 30 lbs will feed 50 people. A few years ago I saw where scientist put DNA from a Salmon fish into tomato plants they will grow in, show, ice, blizzard conditions all winter and not die. Frost proof, freeze proof tomato plants. Wonder why those plants are not available to the public yet?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

bri80 wrote:Not to imply the OP is deliberately misleading (maybe the tomatoes fell off and landed in the celery in a way that they didn't come apart easily, and the OP thought they were the same), but I don't think this is legit... if you look closely at the photos you can see where the tomato stems are cut off/broken off like normal from a tomato plant, and sitting within the leaves of the celery in a manner that makes it look, at first glance, to be the same plant. You can even see how the smooth celery stems are different from the hairy tomato stems.

I don't think celery and tomato, being separate species, can cross. They're not even closely related.

OP, can you explain/post better pictures, or a youtube video?
It's a joke!! :) The OP is being deliberately misleading for fun.

No way this could happen in nature and even with gene splicing, I don't think it would look like that....

sck1975
Newly Registered

This is not a joke. That was the first thing I thought too. The tomatoes somehow cross bread with the celery. I could not find anything on Google that is why I posted it. I thought it may truly be a genetic mystery.
Attachments
IMG_20170902_104931.jpg
IMG_20170902_104940.jpg

applestar
Mod

Oh dear. If you are seriously serious about this you are going to have to show a better picture than these -- one that clearly shows where the tomato and celery are attached.

To me it looks like the celery leaf structure has snagged in the tomato fruit truss. The celery leaf stem is stringy/fibrous enough to not break and tomato fruit truss structure can have diminishingly narrow angles that will snag and hold to withstand strong pull/weight -- that's the way I support big (1 pound and over) tomato trusses by catching garden strings in the angles of the truss structure.

Honestly try carefully untangling them and look for where they might possibly join together and you will see.

It is not possible for these two completely different species to cross-breed or even be grafted (cut and made to heal over so the cells knit and fuse) together.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

The first of those new pictures pretty clearly shows the slightly dried cut edge of that tomato truss. If they're connected, they're glued/sewn together by bugs...or people.

told2b

IMG_20170902_104931 copy.jpg
looks like

sck1975
Newly Registered

It is now to late to take more photos as we got rid of the stalk. But I am adamant that this is not a joke. The branches are not intertwined in each other or glued. In the original photos uploaded the branches are only broken. I'm not sure when this happened but they are part of the same plant for sure. I am planing on saving some of the seeds and planting them next year and see what happens.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well you go for it, but I guarantee you those did not grow that way...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”