SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Texas Tomato Cages

I'm finally going to order some of these.
I have a question for those that have them.
What is the distance from leg to leg (outside measurement) on the 24" and the 20"

Thanks

imafan26
Mod

I have not really measured my tomato cages. I don't use commercial cages for tomatoes. Since the leaves and branches grow out of the cage either 20 or 24 inches is fine. Just put the cages on when you plant.

I prefer CRW for tomatoes. They come in 7 ft heights (indeterminate tomatoes can get 8-10 ft tall ) , the holes are big enough to reach the tomatoes and it is strong.

Most commercial cages are only 3-4 ft tall. Ok for short tomatoes, but still need staking since they aren't really heavy duty. For taller tomatoes you have to stack and stake them.

I get the folding tomato cages because they are easy to store and I can open them up and use them as a fence for the garden or a trellis for beans, peas and cucumbers.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Thank you, but I'm looking for the measurements between the legs, my beds along the side of the house are barely 20" wide, not too concerned with the raised beds on the hill but worried the Texas Tomato cages wont fit in the side hugel beds, but after looking at the pics on line, the legs are set pretty far in from the outside diameter so I should be OK.

You can see by the following two pics that the beds are narrow

The beds on the hill are not a concern they are 36" wide.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”