Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Are Morning Glory Seeds ok to eat?

I saved a 1 lb bag of morning glory seeds a few years ago. They make the most beautiful blue flowers but I don't want these growing anywhere near my yard or garden, I know better, once you get them started you can not get rid of them. I wonder if I can cook them like a pot of beans? Wonder if I can grind them into flour and make bread? Maybe they have good flavor like spices? Wonder if they are toxic or poison?

Last edited by Gary350 on Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ID jit
Green Thumb
Location: SE New England: zone twilight or 5b... hard for me to tell some days.

It is okay to plant just one.... what harm can one little seed do?
( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

applestar
Mod

My immediate internal response was -- but aren't they toxic? I can't remember if they can be medicinal or they are hallucinogenic, but pretty sure not safe for eating.

applestar
Mod

OK. Yeah it's an extremely toxic, acute agent that is only used in minute quantities in combination with other herbal and Chinese medicine.

If you access this blog with Chrome, you can run it through the Translator and get a pidgin translation. I copied a small sample for reference:

Morning glory seeds are toxic
https://showayakyk.exblog.jp/11752244/
If it is a large amount become a diarrhea, such as water, there is also a diuretic effect yet powerful action, other, because there are a number of side effects such as abdominal pain is dangerous.
so, as is usually alone laxative, not used.
used is in Even if there is one, it is only a little contained as one of the ingredients

, so please do not imitate it, neither do you take morning glory seeds by yourself.
As a precaution, I will write about what If took in large quantities.
◎ Neurological symptoms, hematuria, viscera, furious abdominal pain, vomiting appear.

applestar
Mod

...maybe put in the fire (ha! Is THAT even safe?) or grind up and put in compost pile for the winter... :shock:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Quote: "saved a 1 lb bag of morning glory seeds a few years ago. They make the most beautiful blue flowers but I don't want these growing anywhere near my yard or garden,"

Do not eat them!
Perhaps you should get a bonfire going in the fire pit and just burn the bag of seeds?

ID jit
Green Thumb

Have any friends or neighbors who could use some glorious blue joy in their lives (for the rest of their lives)?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

They are beautiful. I may toss the seeds in the river. They can grow some place else like Alabama. LOL.

jeff84

they are hallucinogenic. well the insides are not the seed shell and only certain varieties. heavenly blue, pearly gates, and ufo cultivars in particular of central American origin, north American varieties are not hallucinogenic and actually make a tasty tea if you use immature seeds. they contain LSA which is very similar to LSD. people actually use them recreationally, but hawiian baby wood rose seeds are much more potent. people tend to prefer them as they don't have to consume nearly as many seeds. the seed coats do contain toxins that can cause vascular constriction, nausea, and cramps. not to mention all those mind altering affects. those mind altering effects can be had without all the negative side effects.

not suggesting you eat them, but if their hallucinogenic properties peek your curiosity, just know that the act of extracting it is illegal, there is however a lot of info online about doing it safely. if I had a lb of those seeds I admit I would be tempted to make a crude tincture for some vacation fun.

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showfl ... r/20235368

ID jit
Green Thumb

Gary350 wrote:They are beautiful. I may toss the seeds in the river. They can grow some place else like Alabama. LOL.
That might be an interesting thing to do.... toss them into a river.... take a canoe trip every couple of
years and see how far they have migrated. I hear that lil paper boats are not to hard to fold up and sail... maybe a quick coat of spray lacquer on the hulls before you say Bon Voyage!

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Oh lord, ID jit is getting punch drunk!

ID jit
Green Thumb

I am not getting anything!
Will own up to being full on sanity-challenged!
(I have witnesses too!)

Still chuckling over the idea of a little armada of paper boats full of morning glory seeds all headed down stream...

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

In case anyone needs any more evidence that morning glory is a vile weed.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Before I left for vacation in early July, this was a push broom and kid's scooter up against the house next to a tiny feral morning glory seedling. When I got back 2 weeks later they had been eaten. This is where we are now. I guess I'll reclaim my property this weekend...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”