zeeshan112
Cool Member

Jade cuttings

Hi friends

I planted some cuttings from dwarf jade plant in the hope of getting new jade plants. But practically the stem in all the cuttings has dried up or got rotten. I do take care not to overwater this plant, any idea what is going wrong here? Please see pic attached.
Attachments
20170622_101902.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm a little confused: "I do take care not to overwater this plant." You mean your cutting? It isn't a plant yet, because it has zero roots. I haven't started jade from cuttings. But other things that I do start, the only thing that has worked for me is to dip the cut stem in rooting powder then stick it into well moistened potting soil, then put a humidity dome over it. (A two-liter soda bottle with the bottom cut off makes a good humidity dome.) The difficulty is to keep it alive until it puts out roots. So you never want the potting soil to dry out at all and you want to keep a humid environment around the leaves, so they don't lose too much water to transpiration before they can replace it through their roots.

zeeshan112
Cool Member

Yes I mean the cutting. After reading your reply, I think now I know what went wrong. I was keeping the plant on the dry side as jades don't need too much water. But the catch is I had reduced the watering because the cutting was shedding its leaves and I thought its becuase of over watering. Guess I was wrong. Can I remedy this?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Jades don't need a lot of water because they are established plants. As noted cuttings have no roots, so no way to take up water.

If you still have the original jade plant, you can take new cuttings. Otherwise, you can try cutting all the dead part off of the ones you have and replant them, treating them as I suggested.

imafan26
Mod

For most succulent plants it is better to make sure the cuttings have callused off before putting them in a rooting media. You need to make sure you get a strong branch or fleshy leaf since it will have to live off its reserves for a few weeks. Rooting hormone helps but is usually not necessary. I root everything in perlite.

zeeshan112
Cool Member

Thanks, I have today put a jade cutting in the rooting medium after letting callus for a week. Hope this time there won't be any problem :)

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”