Carla
Newly Registered

what type of Hydrangea do I have?

Hello! I know this might be a shot in the dark but I will ask anyway. I bought a Hydrangea the day before mothers day at a local wal-mart here in Tennessee. The plant did not have any information with it as far as what type of hydrangea it was. I know there are all kinds of hydrangeas out there. The one that I have produced pink flowers on it when I bought it. Would anyone know what type this one is just by the flower color? :) :)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

First, Carla, I notice that this is your first post here at Helpful Gardener.

Welcome to the forum! See if there are other questions/discussions helpful to you, esp. in Hydrangeas.

There are lots of species of Hydrangeas; you may have a Hydrangea macrophylla (originally native to Japan/China) or a H. arborescens (native to eastern US).

Many hydrangeas can be made to change from pink to blue, if that's what you prefer, by manipulating the pH (acidity/alkalinity) of their soil.

If you'd like specific care instructions for your region of Tennessee, I'd suggest taking a picture of your new plant to a nearby independent nursery/garden store and asking them for recommendations.

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9, Sunset Zone 17

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes welcome to the HG! The information Cynthia has given you is very correct.

Carla
Newly Registered

thanks! I am glad all of you are here to help each other and me too. you have a great day :D

Return to “Hydrangea Forum”