Cedrus
Newly Registered

Millipedes are eating our strawberries....

Thought they were tiny worms. Got out the magnifying glass and see many, many leg segments. I have found 5-10-20 at a time chewing on 1 strawberry. I have used human/farm approved DE once a week or so, with minimum effect.

Anyone else have these critters and what did you do ? These are not Symphylans.

I have placed pieces of cut potato in the ground 1/2 inch or so as bait....and lots of them will be found when I lift up the potato slice.

Thanks in advance....

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Hey Cedrus!

Snail pellets worked for us. There is one that is iron based, and isn't toxic to fish, birds or frogs... The brand is slipping my mind at the moment.. They were attacking our tomatoes when we lived in PA. They also infested our rental apartment. Sooooo. Many. Oh it was so gross.

I would keep baiting them and then destroying them. The DE isn't a bad idea either, although that may get pricey.

Best of luck!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

"Garden Safe" is the brand.

jeff84

I have sow bugs AKA rollie pollies eating mine. which is weird because I thought they only ate dead plant material.

applestar
Mod

Often what happens is slugs scrape the surface or make a hole that starts the decay. But we find the detrivores and think we caught them in the act.

Cedrus
Newly Registered

Thanks for the comments. Only the strawberries being affected ...are those sitting on the soil. Those berries an inch or more above soil ...are left alone. These are very small critters. 1/4 inch long and skinny as a flat toothpick. Hundreds of segmented legs. Never see them grow larger. Tried Sluggo iron-based snail bait last year, to no effect. Too inept to post a picture. :roll:

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”