Husk24

Is fruit setting on my pear tree? Can I use fertiliser now?

Hi All

I'm I correct to think that the fruit has started to set on my pear tree? For the first time so one is rather excited!

Can I start using fertiliser? If so which one is best and how frequent? I have expensive seaweed fertiliser, can I use that?

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_8174.JPG

JONA
Greener Thumb

Those three look set well Husk.
I would leave them for a couple more weeks then your seaweed fert would be great for the tree. (You cannot be sure that pears have set solid until they gooseneck over and any increase in nitrogen at that period can induce a greater drop.) It contains nearly all the trace elements as well as plenty of potash and nitrogen.
Is it a sprayable mixture or a top dressing?
If sprayable then every two or three weeks up to harvest will be great. It will not only help the fruit but also the next year fruit buds that will .forming as the season progresses.
Soil dresssing is not so rapid in its response but will do the same job...but take longer.

Husk24

Hi Jona

It is a highly concentrated liquid seaweed to mix with water, how frequent should I feed? I will leave it for 2-3 weeks before using the fertiliser.

Also I mulched the tree around two months ago and mixed in some growmore fertiliser granules. Will I be still ok to use the seaweed fertiliser?

Also can I do the same for my plum tree, fruit has definitely set, pix attached

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_8186.JPG

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi Husk
I love the seaweed fert myself. Spray every couple of weeks or so and it delivers all you want to exactly where you want it!
It's especially useful in the spring time. A good spray around early pink bud stage will set the fruit rosette leaves up just right to feed the blossoms as they open.
It benifits all plants as far as I can see and is a great organic fert as well.
Good luck with your fruit crop.

Husk24

Thanks JONA , forgive me I'm a little confused being a newbie, you keep referring to spray? I just mix the seaweed fertiliser with water in a watering can? Do you suggest I spray it on the leaves /buds instead of watering below?

Also you said I should not fertiliser until fruit has set in earlier post but you said I could spray early when flowering?

Thks

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Pear tree is no different than, apple, peach, plum, and other fruit trees. Give it lots of nitrogen. Buy a bag of Urea at farm supply store give tree 3/4 cup of fertilizer and 10 gallons of water 1 time each week.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Husk24 wrote:Thanks JONA , forgive me I'm a little confused being a newbie, you keep referring to spray? I just mix the seaweed fertiliser with water in a watering can? Do you suggest I spray it on the leaves /buds instead of watering below?

Also you said I should not fertiliser until fruit has set in earlier post but you said I could spray early when flowering?

Thks
There are two ways of applying seaweed Husk.
Water it in around the base like you are doing...or apply it in a spray form. The spray method is the one most growers would use as it gets the nutrients to their target quicker than via root uptake.
As to timing.
Their is a period when it's not advisable to apply fert....especially nitrogen....to fruit trees. This is between the blossom period and the end of the June drop. Which usually means early July!
A heavy hit of nitrogen dureing this period can give the tree a big growth spurt and in the process encourage a larger fruit drop than you may want.

The most common way of applying general purpose fertiliser is to top dress the area around the tree in the spring and early fall. Then dureing the actual growing time of the year use the spray method of application as this is so much faster. Liquid Seaweed, urea, calcium( for bitter pit) etc can even be added to the normal spray routine so no extra work involved.

Husk24

Thanks JONA, so I will wait few weeks for the pear tree to set the fruit proper and I guess I can spray the plum tree as it has set the fruit. I also have a apple tree with blossom on currently which I could spray too.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Thats right Husk.
Safe to spray anytime before bloom. Then after fruit has set solidly.
As a general rule that's after pears have goosenecked over ..and apple have reached the size of a small walnut. 10-12mm.
It's never wise to spray fruit that are in flower, even with sprays that are considered 'safe' or organic. Even plain water can effect the valiability of pollen.

Husk24

Great thanks Jona, I'm I OK to spray fertiliser on this plum tree now? It has set fruit - see below of tree

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_8186.JPG

JONA
Greener Thumb

That's fine Husk.
Watch the growth on such a young plum tree. If those side shoots seem to be getting too strong don't be frightened to tie them down to near the horizontal.
Plums have a nasty habit of reaching for the sky. Get them under control at this size and half the battle is won.

Husk24

Great, thanks, can I use the sea weed fertiliser for my vegetables? Courgettes, tomatoes, aubergine, chili and cucumbers? I'm I better using spray?

Thk

JONA
Greener Thumb

Whatever way you find most convenient Husk. Seaweed is a great fertiliser.

Husk24

Great, thanks

Husk24

@ JONO

just a quick question about spraying fertiliser, do I just spray it all over the tree, everywhere?

Thanks

JONA
Greener Thumb

It's the leaves that take it in Husk. So make sure they are the main target.
Never spray in full sunshine.
Best at dusk or early morning. Avoids any scorch risk and also takes longer to dry so more is absorbed .

Husk24

Thanks

Husk24

Hi Jona?

Is it safe to use fertiliser now? Pears are bigger

Thnks
Attachments
IMG_0033.JPG
IMG_0034.JPG

JONA
Greener Thumb

Simple answer......yes!

Husk24

Great

Thkd

JONA
Greener Thumb

Yes Husk!

Husk24

I sprayed this few days ago no problems on the pear tree in pix, I also sprayed it in my other pear tree where the pears were smaller and today I have noticed half the pears have dropped, maybe I sprayed it too early on that tree, its the first time it is fruiting and there are only about ten pears on it left. Bit disappointed.
Last edited by Husk24 on Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JONA
Greener Thumb

I rather think it more likely that they hadn't set properly Husk.
You can never be sure that a pear has set until it goose necks. That is when it bends over and points towards the ground.
This year we suffered a couple of nasty frost here in the UK that has hit pears and plums badly.

Return to “All Other Fruit”