bajakelly
Newly Registered

Them darned critters!

Hello all,

I have been having a heck of a time trying to grow anything in my garden, including tomato plants, because of the plants being eaten before they grow to maturity. Someone told me to sprinkle bone meal on the plants. That helped a little, but they still eventually get to them. Any surefire ideas that would keep the animals from eating everything? Thanks...

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well, first figure out what is doing the eating if it is insects you can plant plants to attract their predators. And don't plant all of the same plant in one area. Have as much variation amongst your garden as you can.

If you are still having serious problems, the only insecticide that we reccomend here is Neem Oil but, don't use it more than once a week and read the thread on the product in the what doesn't fit elsewhere forum.

bajakelly
Newly Registered

It is one of three animals. Deer, rabbits, or groundhogs. I've seen all three of these animals out back, but have never caught one in the act.

Cuke

I don't know how to stop groundhogs,maybe some sort of live trap (if legal to trap them in your area,don't trap and relocate without knowing the laws first)?Depending on the size of your garden,fencing is the best way to stop both deer and rabbits.If you have a very large garden I suggest installing a 6 foot fence with small holes in it so rabbits won't go through that.6 Feet fences keep out deer,but you would need a gate or something the same height to get in.If you have a smaller garden,a 24 inch fence,again with small holes,will keep out rabbits,be sure to add some tent spikes (to hold the fence close to the ground) or something to keep them from burrowing under.And if you do have a small garden,try and find some Invisible Fence or scent to keep deer out.

My final advice is to call an exterminator for the groundhogs.Not very humane,but it will keep them out,hopefully.I had a horrible problem with ground squirrels two years ago,called a guy and he took care of most of them.There's only one or two now compared to the 10.

rootsy
Green Thumb

Not a whole lot is going to keep deer out of your garden... They can easily clear a 6 foot fence in a single bound. Standard deer barrier fence is in the 10 foot range...

You might give leaving some stinky sweaty old worn clothing in the garden... You will have to rotate with fresh stinky worn clothing periodically... But eventually if the deer are accustomed to humans in an urban environment they'll just waltz right on past that barrier and keep eating...

As for the woodchuck... Where I come from they are a nuisance and are dealt with as such... They cause excessive damage to foundations, crops, machinery, fields...

Fence will keep out the wabbit until it figures out to just tunnel under it :)

JennyC
Green Thumb

You could try planting some sacrificial plants outside the garden and fencing. Then you hope they eat the plants that are less trouble to get to.

praying mantis
Cool Member

This weekend I will be building a minimal 6 board, chicken wire, hindged door to my garden. We have a wild, city rabbit who gets in under the front yard door. I am planning on adding chicken wire to the bottom of that door to keep him from crawling under it. He may or may not be the culprit biting my anaheim plant leaves. I could still be contending with a slug or earwig. I am convinced the damage is happening between midnight and 6am. That plant is the only one being eaten and it is surrounded by the same or similar plants. If I knew for sure that the nibbler would stop at that plant then I wouldn't bother. I do feel sorry for my sad little anaheim. It just keeps valiently putting out new leaves. I am a sucker for a fighter.

produce pete

Cuke wrote:I don't know how to stop groundhogs,maybe some sort of live trap (if legal to trap them in your area,don't trap and relocate without knowing the laws first)?Depending on the size of your garden,fencing is the best way to stop both deer and rabbits.If you have a very large garden I suggest installing a 6 foot fence with small holes in it so rabbits won't go through that.6 Feet fences keep out deer,but you would need a gate or something the same height to get in.If you have a smaller garden,a 24 inch fence,again with small holes,will keep out rabbits,be sure to add some tent spikes (to hold the fence close to the ground) or something to keep them from burrowing under.And if you do have a small garden,try and find some Invisible Fence or scent to keep deer out.

My final advice is to call an exterminator for the groundhogs.Not very humane,but it will keep them out,hopefully.I had a horrible problem with ground squirrels two years ago,called a guy and he took care of most of them.There's only one or two now compared to the 10.

just make a chicken wire fence....if they are underground animals then...I don't know..I have the same problem

cheshirekat

I've heard you can bury part of the fence underground to keep out digging critters. If your fence is already up, cut strips to attach to the lower end of the existing fence. Then bury the fence down at least a foot, with the end out and away from the garden at least a foot out from the fence and under the soil. (think L shape)

That way, they will start digging before they get to the fence's edge, run into the fence underground and their plans to dig their way into your garden are foiled.

Unless your garden is especially large, I'd try to get the fence to extend out further than one foot from the fence. I'd feel safe at about four feet or more. (Think about how far from the fence they usually start digging, based on the holes you see.) You can use cheap fence or mesh, even used fence. The idea is to frustrate them when they start digging and run into the fence. They will try to start digging elsewhere and run into the fence again and then will give up to look for easier eating. You may have to do this to only one or two sides if the diggers are always coming from a specific side of your garden. Like if your garden is against your house.

Laurie
Newly Registered

:D Use fox urine granules for all critters. You sprinkle it around your garden even around the individual plants if needed. Twice a week the first 2 weeks, then twice a month for a few months. I did this out of despiration in my garden and have not had a single critter in 2 months. Rabbits and gophers were ruining my garden, now its big and beautiful. Most of all no more critter battles. Fox urine really works

obbligato
Newly Registered

My Il's dust their plants with Lime to keep the critters and deer from eatting their plants.

Kristofer

Well.. I live in Kentucky. We just use the good ol' shotgun and a lot of patience to kill our larger pests. Hopefully it works for you.

WAYNE BODKINS

I have heard that mixing garlic juice and water and spraying will keep a lot of pests away from the garden. I have never actually tried it, just heard about it. has anyone tried this and if so, does it work?? :?:

dinker

Good morning to all :D I see that there is another Kansan :D
Here are some tips my late grandpa and mom told me when I was a child they might help some one. For the plants that moles like. Dig the hole a little larger then normal and spread out some steel wool in the hole and plant in the middle moles don't like bitting the steel the roots can grow threw it if needed but the main root ball is still protected.
This wont help this year but in the future. He put fruit trees at the far points of the yard deer love pear he said they will eat the fruit on the ground and the low hanging ones and they stay away from his garden and there is still plenty of fruit where they cant reach for canning.

WAYNE BODKINS

HELLO TO DINKER! ALWAYS GLAD TO HEAR FROM A FELLOW KANSAN!
:D

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”