applestar
Mod

Re: Let's talk recipes -- are you as random as I am?

This was from Sunday. Is it weird that I save comments like these in my journal? I thought I might want to write it up. (This is sometimes the only way I might be able to re-create a recipe. I should note that I added diced dates, a bit of lime juice and liberal amount of nutmeg at the end, and I made a separate layer of bottled OJ with broken up frozen raspberries. :> )

>What does it mean when you can't go back to sleep because you keep thinking about a jello mold you thought of making.... >:D

>I finished making it :D not really jello >> made with agar agar. Tasted the silicon spatula used to scrape the sauce pan and it was pretty yummy. Now to wait for it to set. Coconut cream, greek yogurt, overripe banana and underripe honeybell slices, etc

It was well received and went pretty quickly. DH quietly served himself a second piece while DD's and I were discussing the texture and flavor of the ingredients and why we each thought it tasted good.
image.jpg
I used agar flakes, not block, and didn't sieve it to keep the extra texture and fiber. Funny thing is even though I KNOW I didn't put shredded coconut in this because I specifically decided against it to avoid the hard grainy texture, the agar flakes had taken on the coconut flavor and my tastebuds kept on registering them as shredded coconut. DD was stumped by "white chunks that taste like nuts" ... Eventually conceding that maybe they are banana pieces that had been simmered in simple syrup. She insisted that they were NOT the lighter inner part of dried dates or some of the solidified coconut cream that didn't get blended in.....

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

This thread is funny, I do the same thing. I love to cook in cold weather and my wife loves to cook too. Sometimes I have to tell Alice, its my turn in the kitchen. LOL. I don't always want to cook the same thing the same way over and over. Sometimes I cook a recipe then realize I am out of something but I don't want to make a special trip to the store so I substitute. I watch cooking shows on TV and cooking on YouTube it gives me ideas. We go camping all the time even in cold 25 degree weather, we often eat better at the camp ground than we do at home. I have lots of fun in the kitchen, just as much fun as working in the garden in summer. I am still trying to learn how to cook good India food with not much luck. If I make it hot and spicy we can't tell how bad it tastes. What you eat hot today comes out hot tomorrow. LOL.

imafan26
Mod

I have been buying McDonald's burgers and taking it for lunch everyday. I like Burger King burgers better but it is more out of the way to go there so I decided to make my own burgers for lunch.
One of the reasons I don't like McD's burger is because it is all meat, dry, and doesn't have much flavor by itself.
I like a moist burger so I make meatloaf burgers.
1 lb hamburger
2 slices of bread, moistened with milk or water and broken up
1/2 cup minced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 carrot grated
1 egg
1/3 cup Jack Daniel's or Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce
1 tsp poultry seasoning
garlic salt and pepper to taste
Mix it all together and form into patties and pan fry or grill.

I put a patty on a bun with preferable provalone cheese, but I will use whatever cheese is available, lettuce and tomato. If I am eating this at home I like a honey mustard mayo, but if I am brown bagging, I leave the mayo out.

applestar
Mod

Today's random creation is a bread pudding:
image.jpg
image.jpg (61.54 KiB) Viewed 9628 times
-- I cooked about 1/3 of a Thai Kang Kob squash from last fall's harvest... The usual way in a small side dish casserole with 1/2" water, pats of butter, covered with foil. My DD's ate the last of it last night for midnight snack, so I told them to save the liquid in the fridge for me -- I didn't know what I was going to do with it but I wasn't about to waste the flavor-packed liquid.

Today, I took it out, then looked around... And found 1/2 loaf of WF's pecan raisin sourdough bread in the freezer. So I made bread pudding.

-- added a good glug or two of OJ, pumpkin pie seasoning spices, put in toaster oven to heat up and melt the congealed butter,
-- added another 1/2 stick of unsalted butter and toasted and torn up slices of the bread while spooning out about 1/2 of the hot liquid and melting butter into well beaten eggs (2).
-- a heaping tablespoon of brown sugar in the egg mixture and another heaping tablespoon scattered among the semi-soaked bread, then a heaping tablespoon of Dutch process cocoa along the middle length of the casserole, swirls of real maple syrup all over,
-- then evenly poured in the custard mixture
-- realized I'd forgotten the vanilla extract and salt so poured some over and sprinkled a good 1/2 tsp or so of sea salt on top
-- 350°F for 30 minutes.

Sea salt has crystallized on the exposed crunchy toasted bread, resulting in occasional distinct salty flavor bites, and the cocoa had floated up but fortunately didn't really burn -- providing a rich chocolatey gooeyness as well as occasional bitter chocolate crunch.

DD and I each took big portions without knowing how it turned out, and agreed it was delicious. :D too bad I won't be able to make another one exactly like it. :>

applestar
Mod

Creative leftover madness continues :lol:

Ground Turkey, cauliflower and left over butternut/winter squash and B. Sprouts "quiche" -- with fresh cranberry and melted cheese, made with days old home baked raisin bread "stuffing" crust

Dice and render bacon, add garlic and ground turkey to brown. Add seasoning and spices -- salt, nutmeg, freshly ground black pepper, home made chili powder. Add chopped cauliflower and left over Brussels sprouts -- cover and steam with two sprigs of Rosemary, fresh parsley stems, and ground thyme. Add home made turkey stock and some whey. A bit of pure maple syrup for rounded flavor. Add leftover squash (contained dried cranberries). Cook until most of the moisture has been absorbed. Remove the rosemary and parsley stems.

In the mean time, thinly slice and toast the days old home baked raisin bread. Put EVOO and butter in a medium bowl, pile the toasted bread on top, and mix with a wooden spoon, breaking up the bread and butter. Add an egg beaten with some orange juice and kefir (reserve about 1/4 cup of the egg mixture), fennel seeds, dried sage and dehydrated sliced onions from the summer harvest, and chopped fresh parsley.

Butter a quiche pan well, then press the bread mixture evenly on the bottom, then use a spoon to push the crust up the sides. Spoon the turkey mixture in a mound (I arranged most of the chunkier butternut squash in the middle) then make a circular moat.

Mix fresh cranberries with egg mixture and shredded cheese (used TJ's mozzarella/Monterey jack/cheddar mix) and arrange in the moat. Bake at 425°F for 25 minutes until cheese are melted and crust is just browned.

DH thought the fresh cranberries were too tart, while I thought they "made" the flavors zing. He also would have liked "more" onions (I didn't add any because there were plenty of onion flavor in the stock, squash, and from the dried onion flakes.) --- BTW despite the critiques, he ate about 1/3 of the entire quiche ;)

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hi All,

Time to revisit recipe world.

Cooking is a favorite hobby of mine. This one is very easy. Your picky family members will love it.

Pureed Cauliflower

The trick is to cook your Cauliflower in milk. The milk removes some of the harshness of Cauliflower. It is smooth, creamy and luscious.

1 small to medium head of cauliflower - cut into uniform pieces
Cook in 1 quart of whole milk until tender
Strain the Cauliflower reserving the milk
Puree - I return my Cauliflower to the pot and use an immersion blender. Easier clean up than a regular blender.
Add 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil and 2 to 4 Tbsp. butter. (I like Butter)
Sea Salt and fresh ground Pepper
If the cauliflower is a little dry or stiff add the milk 1 Tbsp. at a time.

OMG!

I have also cooked Broccoli and Turnips in milk and pureed. Even if you do not use the milk in the puree cooking in it some how changes the texture and taste of the vegetables.

The Grands go nuts over my pureed veggies. I have to try Brussel's Sprouts.

applestar
Mod

Tried/am trying to make maple walnut fudge -- didnt have maple extract, tried a recipe using real maple syrup, and promptly burned the bottom -- not enough stirring before starting to boil seems to be the reason after some searching around. Also this useless Chantal Cuisinart stainless pot -- never my fave -- better reserved for small servings of clear soup and noodle soups.

Have rigged a double-boiler with another, even less useful enameled Chantal pot -- I swear I only like their glass lids. I need the mixture to reach temperature at the top of the mix without stirring it -- apparently that is a no-no once it starts bubbling. But am resigned to it not solidifying properly. I am not tossing it though -- I have a storebought graham cracker crust pie shell --- I think I will call it maple praline walnut fudge pie. :P

... hours later ...

I did pour most of the mixture in the pie crust. Trying to decide if I want to melt a layer of chocolate on top ...or if sour cream topping for a cheese cake would be a good match for super sweet yumminess. It doesn't look half bad as it is though -- maybe all it needs is a bit of canned whipped cream. :D

Yeah the thin layer I poured out in the parchment-lined square pan has not completely set... I have been testing/tasting quite frequently as you can see -- all of that was me. I need the DD's to take over the tasting before I get sick from eating too much sugar.... :oops:

...I "rescued" the burned fudge pot by dissolving all the caramel and fudge mixture that wouldn't scrape off with silicone spatula with some milk and half and half, then adding sugar, vanilla, and eggs to make a custard. I portioned off about a cup with a fine tea strainer and added extra heaping amounts of sillycow marshmallow swirl cocoa mix, then gently poured that in a spiral pattern without mixing into the main custard mix strained with medium strainer into the glass bowl, then baked in a bain-marie. Haha. Not sure if marbled effect worked out -- It looks to me like some of the cocoa-flavored custard mix sank to the bottom while the oils in the cocoa floated to the top. Anyway, the DD's will love it.

...... My delicious maple walnut fudge failures – “maple praline walnut fudge pie”, “eat with a spoon” too-soft fudge, and “not as dense as flan and not as creamy as creme brulee” maple-brulee custard with silky marshmallow-cocoa layer. …are they still failures if they taste fabulous? :>

applestar
Mod

I made rice pudding today -- 2 parts organic short grain brown rice, 1 part organic short grain sweet/glutenous brown rice, 1/2 full-fat pasteurized but not homogenized whole milk, and 1/2 half-and-half, vanilla sugar, bourbon vanilla beans pods in maker's mark extract, 1 well beaten egg, some butter, and mixture of chopped dried apricots, cranberries, almonds, and cashews. ;)

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

That sweet glutenous brown rice (a.k.a. black sticky rice) is one of my favorite rices for sweet dishes! A very simple recipe I remember consisted of just water, black sticky rice, and some sugar, simmered with a pandanus leaf for an unusual and delicious flavor. Sort of like vanilla, but unique unto itself.

applestar
Mod

Another random creation based on three recipes mish-mashed together and adapted to ingredients from my pantry. :()

Yeast sweet roll dough made with tomato juice from the summer garden, freshly made from coconut flakes milk, 1/2 organic white whole wheat, 1/2 organic bread flour. Blackberry jam from my summer garden and store-bought concord grape jelly mixed with squeezed out coconut flakes. Chopped brazil nuts from a bag of combo shell-on nuts because nobody ate the brazil nuts....

imafan26
Mod

I had to make something today and I bought some pulled pork from costco but I am tired of sandwiches. So, I decided to make fried rice with the remainder.
4 cups cooked rice (preferably from the night before)
1/2 lb pulled pork
6 strips bacon sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
1 onion, chopped
3 gloves garlic, minced
1 kamabuko (fishcake) surimi can be substituted.
4 tablespoons oyster sauce
16 oz frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
pepper to taste

Saute bacon until almost browned, add pulled pork,onion, and garlic and stir fry until pork is warmed and onions are transluscent. Add fishcake, mixed vegetables, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar (optional), and pepper. Stir fry 4-5 minutes, then add cooked rice and blend everything together. Cook 2 minutes more. Adjust seasoning (salt is optional) and turn off heat.

For me this is a meal for any time of day. I can have it with an egg or sausage or just by itself.

applestar
Mod

Made tapioca pudding with following embellishments -- standard tapioca pudding recipe using milk, eggs, and vanilla sugar.

Added minced (1/4" cubed) strawberries and lemon zest (1/8" or less) while cooking and added semi-sweet chocolate chunks after turning off the heat -- do not stir. (Remember that chocolate cake I made a while ago? I got this idea from that recipe)

Poured without stirring into a large sealable pyrex bowl to cool.

-- started sampling while still warm but starting to set. Gooey streaks of melted chocolate in every spoonful, with soft deposits of chocolate, occasional strawberry-ness and bits of lemon zest, -- YUM!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

This vegetable soup has all the refrigerator left overs in it. Anything left over becomes some kind of stew or soup sooner or later I hate to waste food. Soup started out with 3 pints of tomatoes, large onion, garlic, 1 lb of beef stew meat and all the left overs in the frig and herbs. It turned out very good. For some reason this is always better the 2nd and 3rd day, I don't think there will be any left for a 3rd day. This was an all day cooking project in the large 3 gallon crock pot.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Gary, it looks like you took a picture of a bowl of soup from my kitchen. I love a hearty bowl of soup with lots of vegetables in it and like you, I cook it by the gallons. What doesn't get eaten goes in the freezer in quart bags for later use. The only issue I have is the potatoes tend to become a bit mushy when frozen, but everything else stays pretty firm.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Yep, very random, and most of my recipes are thought up in the middle of the night when I cant sleep.

Here are two of my successes;

Pork Luau Shots

My most off the wall success

Canoli ABT's

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Gary, I do the same as you when cleaning up the garden at the end of the year.

Long Post!

I had a decent amount of veggies left so I decided to pull out the schwenker and the dutch oven and make a Garden Jambalaya....nothing hot and no shrimp, or I would be the only person eating it. Not that that's a bad thing but my better half was wanting some mild Jambalaya.

Several Hours Later, all the plants are burnt and wood has burnt to coals.

As I chop the vegges my better half is off to the store for some Sweet Italian Sausage and some boneless chicken thighs.

Tossed some butter in the DO

Woohoo! Meat is here!

Sausage is browned then the chicken is added

Leeks are sliced and tossed in, wow what a wonderful smell these leeks have.

Peppers are next.

DO Is covered for each time after the initial browning of the meats and onions.

I usually don't add eggplant to my Jambalaya. I really pamper my eggplant.

Parsley and Oregano is next, I let the Eastern Black Swallowtails have the early parsley harvest, If I see them on the plant, it's theirs and I leave them be. The parsley is coming back pretty strong now, The parsley is fairly hardy,it will usually be kicking till about December.

Then some tomatoes.

Then some celery. (not from the garden). The lid is placed on the DO, I grab another beer and will let this simmer for about an hour. A tablespoon of garlic is added and a tablespoon of my Philly Style Rub.

Ooops, wrong camera setting!

Looking good, 32 oz. of chicken broth is added.

Half of a coarse chopped onion is added.

3 cups of white rice is rinsed multiple times then added and stirred in.

Lid is tossed on the DO and will cook another thirty minutes.

Raised the DO to keep it on low heat.

The jambalaya was pretty thick so I tossed in another 32 oz. of chicken broth and the 24 oz. can of diced tomatoes.

How did it turn out? well I can say this, It was a beautiful evening, sitting there eating my jambalaya, enjoying the bug-less cool night and the fire, sipping on an ice cold glass if Killians.

Everyone enjoyed the Jambalaya, but If I were making this for the guys or myself, it would have been loaded with shrimp, hot sausage and a few cans of RoTel and some other hot goodies

applestar
Mod

Pork'nBeans Cream Soup/Stew

Yesterday, I was inspired to make up a cream soup with a 2.5 Lbs. boneless pork loin roast.

Sliced some garlic cloves and a bit of ginger root and laid rinsed roast on top. Seasoned with salt, pepper, dried celery seeds, thyme and sage from the garden. Then cut into 1 inch cubes while distributing the seasoning. Put in a glass casserole with two large dried bay laurel leaves and thoroughly coated with Kefir. Put peels from a small Fuji apple (organic) on top, covered with plastic wrap and the snap on casserole lid to "marinate".

Started with a medium yellow onion and small sweet onion cut in 1/2 inch chunks slowly heating in a big heavy stew pot in saved organic bacon grease. Cut up unpeeled carrots in 1 inch cubes and diced and added pieces that were smaller. Salt and Freshly grated nutmeg. Low heat and stirring occasionally until onions were limp and translucent.

Carrots and the apple cut in chunks were coated with sunflower oil, apple cider vinegar, and a bit of vanilla sugar with sea salt in a bowl, rubbed in 1-2 Tbs butter, then spread on a baking sheet and into the toaster oven 350°F for 15 minutes, then 375°F for 10 minutes.

In the mean time, pulled out a pint of fresh shelled beans/southern peas mix from the freezer. Got that boiling in water to barely cover. Then turned off the heat.

Added 1 inch square cut cabbage to the stew pot to sweat down as well. Freshly ground black pepper, fennel seeds, and hefty amount of ground celery root. Once cabbages became translucent, transferred the veggies to the bean pot and turned on the heat. Added frozen sweet corn kernels.

Coated the bottom of the stew pot with sunflower oil over med-high heat and started cooking the kefir coated pork including the bay leaves and apple skin in batches to roll and heat all sides then push to the back of the pot. I wasn't "browning" the meat but allowed the juices to come out, then simmered down and reduced until the bottom of the pot started to caramelize, then deglazed with some of the strained Maker's Mark which I keep in a jar with fruit scraps (organic apple and pear peelings and core with seeds removed) -- essentially apple/pear bourbon whiskey. Picked out and removed the flavor-depleted apple skins from the marinade and crushed fragments of bay leaves (only large leaves in the pot).

Poured the contents of bean pot into the stew pot, added the roasted carrots and apples, poured some of the broth in the casserole to get the rest of the kefir stuck to sides and poured back into the stew pot and added another casserole of water -- barely covering the veggies and meat. Added frozen green shelled marrowfat peas. Simmered until beans and peas were soft.

To finish, added whole milk and some heavy cream until completely submerged, and then heated to simmering. More freshly ground nutmeg and pink Himalayan salt.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Saturday before last I co-hosted a baby shower for my Niece/Godchild,Toni and her husband, Michael. It was a mid afternoon, couples, finger food party. The parents-to-be did not want any silly, for-fro shower.

They opted for a "woodsy" theme. We used burlap sacks on the food tables. The serving platters were baskets, wood bowls and trays, and ceramic pieces in earthy colors. I borrowed G's "Gilly Suit" (think "Moss Man"). That was used to drape the gift table. I also used several of his deer horns scattered on different tables. Mason Jars, trimmed with Raffia and twine, were used to hold utensils and tea lights.

I prepared the majority of the food.

Menu

Chicken Liver Pate' topped with fig preserves
Sausage Cheese Balls with a Roasted Garlic, Mustard Aioli
Vegetable tray - so cute - I arranged the vegetables to look like an owl on a branch. Served with a Basil Aioli.
Hedge Hog Feta Cheese Ball - Shaped like a hedge hog, the body was studded with slivered almonds, black olives for the nose and eyes.
Pig Candy - bacon covered with a brown sugar, crushed pecans and just a little cayenne, cooked in the oven until bacon is done.
3 Cheese Fondue with an assortment of heavy breads for dipping
Home made venison and pork Summer Sausage
Roe with cream cheese, goat cheese, chives and chopped eggs to accompany.
I used only Water Crackers (plain, with cracked pepper, and whole grain) and home made Crostini as platforms for the food. I don't like all kinds of flavored crackers and chips. They take away from the flavor of the food being served.
A special platter was Perini Ranch Mesquite Smoked Beef Tenderloin sliced paper thin. We have dear friends who send us this amazing tenderloin as a Christmas Gift. We used less than half of it this past Christmas so we shared the rest for the party.
What else? Olive boats with olive antipasto.

My Sister made exceptional chicken salad sandwiches, provided the wine and beer and cake and most of the serving pieces. New Mom's Sister set up a popcorn bar, made brownies and was our "gofer". My Mother made her amazing lemon squares and a fig cake.

The party was held at the home of my other sister - Toni's Mom. It is a perfect party venue with lots of indoor and outdoor space for entertaining.

I was GLOWING by the end of the party! The food was a HUGE success.

I spent the next day e-mailing recipes to guest.

I love those girls (my nieces). It warms my heart to be able to do something special for them.

applestar
Mod

Today's yummy creation was chocolate madeleines for V Day treat. I used the boiling water poured over chocolate chunks and poured off method except I used freshly brewed hot coffee, rather than using the recipe weight of cocoa powder, and added 1/4 cup of hazelnut meal. A few drops of diSaronno in each madeleine mold before adding the batter ;)

...I buried a chunk of chocolate in each for this last batch. I made three dozen, but somehow, only have 21 left... they have been a hit with the DD's. :D

applestar
Mod

I wanted to make babka, and when I looked through a likely recipe, it reminded me of the no knead buttermilk roll recipe I've been using, so I made my own version without kneading and rolling out then filling into jellyroll- shape, etc.

I used kefir whey blended with dried cranberries and apricots for proofing the yeast... hazelnut, almond, and coconut meals in place of 1 cup of the flour... subbed strained, thickened, kefir for sour cream, and grape jelly for part of the sugar in the filling. Etc. Ran into some difficulties while trying to implement my idea of layering the dough with filling in the middle, and I ended up adding another cup of bread flour to the dough for more volume, but it all worked out in the end.

Both DD's and my parents said it was delish... even my DH :()

imafan26
Mod

Not really random as I prefer to start with a basic recipe but I do tweak. This is one that I just tried and it came out pretty good.

Pineapple Coleslaw

1 cup mayonaise
3 tablespoons half and half
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar. Recipe calls for 1/4 cup, I don't like a strong vinegar taste. Wine vinegar can be substituted as well.
2 tablespoons sugar (the recipe called for 4 but that is too sweet)
2 lb bag of coleslaw with carrots or chop your own vegetables (about 5 cups)
8 oz. can pineapple tidbits or slices. Chopped into small pieces. Recipe says not to use crushed
1/2 tsp celery salt
1 apple pared, cored and chopped.

In a small bowl whisk together the mayonaise,half and half, vinegar and sugar until smooth. I started with 1/2 tsp of coarse kosher salt , a tsp of fresh cracked pepper, and 1/2 tsp of celery salt and stirred it into the dressing. Empty 1/2 the bag of coleslaw into a large bowl or bag. add the dressing and mix it well. Add more coleslaw until every thing is coated but remains loose without a lot of dressing left at the bottom of the bag. I had about 1/2 cup of coleslaw left over for later. Put the coleslaw in a large mixing bowl, add the chopped pineapple and apple. Adjust seasoning adding salt and pepper to taste.
I found this on the sweet side with a little tart from the pineapple and vinegar. I used 3 tbl of sugar so I would go down to 2 next time. If this was not already to sweet for me, I usually like to add raisins to my cole slaw. Adding 2 tbl of pineapple juice for some of the vinegar is also an option. I drank the juice instead.

Ideally refrigerate 4-8 hours before serving.

This turned out to be a costly recipe for me since I broke a new bottle of good almond extract trying to find the celery salt on my spice shelf.

I used to make really bad coleslaw that tasted bland and stuck together because I used way too much mayonaise. I learned to add a little milk to the mayonaise to make it more creamy so it would coat rather than drown the cabbage and It turned out a lot better. It does taste better to have some fat in the milk. I usually use powdered milk, it really tasted so much better when I used some left over heavy cream.

Coleslaw should not be overdressed and it tastes better when the cabbage is coated with dressing but not dripping wet (and soggy) or covered in a thick layer of mayonaise. That is why I add cabbage in stages.

applestar
Mod

Ended up making another inspiration banana bread today :()

Dry: About 2 cups of mixed toasted coconut, almond, hazelnut meal, 2/3 cups bread flour, 1/3 cup whole white wheat flour, 1/2-2/3 cups confectioner's sugar, 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spices, walnut pieces, 1/2 to 3/4 tsp sea salt, 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp baking soda.
Wet: 1 frozen/defrosted ripe banana, 1 chopped up overripe giant Asian pear, 1 stick melted cultured unsalted butter, 2 Tbs honey, 2 large eggs, 2 Tbs nut milk kefir, 1 Tbs diSaronno....

Baked in buttered and "floured" with the dry ingredients square cake pan. 350°F for 45 min.

applestar
Mod

Today's randomly inspired "creation" -- baked porkchops

Nice 1 inch thick bone-in porkchops, moistened in pomegranate/mixed berry juice, DiSaronno, sprigs of fresh rosemary, sesame seeds, pecan pieces, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper. Splash and soak both sides, rubbing well with the rosemary.

6 pieces arranged in a baking pan, drizzled with the "marinade" and virgin sesame seed oil, covered with toasted mixed coconut and (almond/cashew/dried cranberries trail mix) nut milk meal, drizzled with toasted sesame oil... covered with stale biscuit crumbs (broken up and ground up in the blender), then pats of olive oil-butter on each chop.

Baked in 350°F oven covered with sheet of alum foil for 60 min., rotating 180° at 30 min. Then uncovered 20 min. And then rest 5 min without opening oven door. Served with simple cooked frozen cut sweet corn and sweet green peas.

Deeeelicious! :D

applestar
Mod

We had lamb today. I don't know if this is called stewed or braised lamb shanks. First, while I did some gardening, I roasted them at 400°F for 1 hr after rubbing with sunflower oil and sea salt, covered with garlic, onions, carrots, and celery. Freshly ground black pepper.

Came in after oven had finished, but had to rest a bit, then poured everything including pan juices into a stew pot, added more chopped onions, chicken broth half way up (didn't have beef broth), dried thyme and chervil, fennel seeds, freshly grated nutmeg, a big bay leaf.... Left it simmering while I went out and planted some pepper plants.

Came in to wonderful smells, added whole red and gold potatoes, diced and added all of today's tender garlic scapes (maybe a little too much) and purple asparagus, plus frozen supersweet corn.... and with 30 minutes to go -- DH came home at this point, saying "it smells GOOD in here" as he stepped in the front door -- added more carrots (three color package, btw -- orange, yellow, and purple) and whole grain barley.

Oh yummines! Very garlicky, especially when you encounter the garlic buds, but DH insisted it wasn't too much garlic, and DDs who don't like garlic thought the meat, potatoes, carrots, and corn were yummy (they avoided the broth).

applestar
Mod

I haven’t posted in this thread in a while.... well I had a random creation today that really tickled my taste buds. This one might be a bit strange for most of you, but then again, maybe there will be some that would also say, ooh, that sounds yum.

First a little back ground — when I was young and lived in Japan ... we’re talking ages ago ... my Dad was often away and my Mom would order take out from the restaurants. I have no idea how it is now, but back then, the local restaurants in the local shopping market district would send someone on a bicycle to deliver our order. The bicycle was fitted with saddle hampers one on either side of the rear wheel — these were rectangular metal boxes that had a front door that slid up/out of the grooved tracks to reveal two shelves in it to make three levels, and the dishes came in real restaurant serving dishes tightly covered with clear wrap or sometimes in special serving boxes with lids, and included all the sides, condiments, etc. You left the dirty dishes piled up outside the front door after you were done, and some one would come by later in the evening and quietly take them away.

Maybe we ordered other things, too, like sushi, or soba, or ramen, but two that I remember I ordered often were giant shrimp ten(tempura)-don and una(gi)-ju box dinners. They were special dinners and I used to love them.

I think this is why I still have cravings for those teriyaki (char)broiled eel, and despite the environmental issues, conservation issues, and mistrust of farm-raised seafood, I still buy and eat those things. So I have been eating them my entire life, but only very recently found out that there is a portion of eel eating pupulation that adamantly recommend rinsing off all the pre-applied eel teriyaki sauce from the packaged, pre-cooked, just heat and eat eels. Oh yeah those things are full of MSG no less. (I cringe when I stop to think about it, then put it all out of my mind.) They recommend buying high quality, high-end eel sauce, or better yet, make your own from scratch.

— OK enough ancient history —

So I started off making a special combo rice — organic short grain white, organic pressed barley, organic short grain brown, and organic sweet short grain brown, several pieces of konbu, and 1/2 a tsp of Mediterranean Sea salt. Rinsed as much teriyaki sauce I could from the frozen packaged pre-cooked eel (a special brand) and drizzled it with agave nectar, organic molasses, naturally brewed Japanese cooking wine (no MSG), organic tamari soy sauce, salted koji, and organic diced beech tree mushrooms. Then into a 375°F oven for 18 minutes.

While that cooked, I minced together one Myoga flower bud preserved in sake, 1/2 scallion, and 1/2 inch thick disk of peeled nagaimo, and a peeled clementine. When the eel was done, I filled a large bowl with the rice, then tore 1/2 a sheet of nori into bits on top, then covered with 1/2 of the myoga, scallions, nagaimo and clementine mixture, then topped with 1/2 of the eel. I added a giant onion ring I heated with the eel, just because I had it. Ooooh it was so yummy!

...Now normally I only eat 1/2 the eel at a time, but this was all so good and nobody else wanted the other half, so.... I plated another serving and ate it all. :roll: :>

thanrose
Greener Thumb

haha, I was reading your recipe prep thinking all the while that I could never get a family to eat eel. It would have to be mine alone. My psycho ex was as adventurous an eater as I am. Less skilled at cooking, but with occasional flashes of brilliance. He'd get on a kick to perfect something like Mongolian Barbecue Squid and I'd come home and laugh about having squid for the third time that week. We would have homestyle Chinese cooking or Korean hot pot or a cassoulet or whatever often enough with sometimes hard to find ingredients. He'd say something like, "I bought this goat head at the Latino market today. What can we do with it?" Geez, ya cook and serve an alligator steak once and he thinks you're Julia Child.

Now about that BBQ squid: He loved one of those generic quasi-Asian buffet style restaurants that also had a Mongolian style grill. And he loved the Mongolian Barbecue Squid you could request. Don't question why yak herders would have huge grills with lots of veggies. I just couldn't get past the idea of a mythical great salty sea in Mongolia with squid jetting around in it. Oh I could eat it all right as long as he cleaned the squid well, but I could still laugh about it.

I made a dish last week or so with barley, shiitake, ham and veggies. It was wonderful. My sister picked out the ham. My BIL picked out the shiitake. She doesn't like tomatoes or blueberries, he doesn't like quinoa or garlic or things called pudding that aren't dessert. They are both kinda stuck on being as bourgeois as they can.

There are a few combinations that I really like and will do often enough. Some variation on a putanesca, risotto, and black beans. It's not like I can come up with a recipe, although I really loved a Cuban meal I put together for one Christmas: roast pork with orange juice, garlic and oregano, spicy black beans with coconut milk, sweet potatoes and flan. I probably wouldn't have used the oregano with the pork if I hadn't read a recipe with it before. Oregano was way too overused on pizza of my youth.

Oh! I braised some lamb shanks years ago with fermented black beans: Lovely, smoky, and Squid Guy enjoyed it too. No recipe, but I probably had garlic and maybe a little black vinegar in the Dutch oven. Although I was making a lot of beer back then, so I could have used some stout or something like that.

applestar
Mod

Ha! You and I would get along just fine @thanrose. :()

...I was re-reading my post and realized ... unaju, which is generally considered high-end restaurant fare requiring special preparation techniques, especially if it’s a specialty restaurant that makes them from fresh live eels, is reduced to what amounts to “junk food” in my description. Well, maybe the pre-made ones ARE. :roll:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

GERMAN BEAN SOUP.................We had this for lunch wow it is good.

Cook in crock pot for 8 hours do NOT add salt it makes beans tough.
2 Cups Dry Navy Beans, rinse & soak in warm water over night. Drain & rinse, put beans in crock pot.
2 quarts of water. Add more if needed.
1 ham bone in crock pot.

Add & cook 1 more hour.
2 medium onions chopped
1 carrot sliced very thin.
1 potatoes cut small.
1 cup celery sliced thin.
4 cloves garlic diced
1 tablespoon butter
1 German sausage sliced thin

Add & cook another 1 more hour.
1 tablespoon paprika
4 sprigs of fresh oregano
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Salt & pepper to taste.

Serve hot & top with cheddar cheese & green onions or chives.

imafan26
Mod

unaju is a dish with unagi and rice?

unagi = fresh water eel usually served broiled, kabayaki style?

I actually never heard of this dish. I am familiar with donburi though like tendon, oyako donburi, torikatsu donburi.

I guess it is because we only used unagi to make maki sushi.

applestar
Mod

You got it. Unaju is same as unagi donburi — unagi kabayaki arranged on top of rice — except they are packed in ju-bako or extra large lacquered o bento box.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Garbanzo/potato bread.

I regularly use a bread recipe I got from a friend. She called it potato bread - it includes mashed potato. It was a bit rich so I usually omit the egg from the original mix and use potato water instead of milk. I let the bread machine do the kneading, then bake in the oven after rolling, shaping & rising in the fridge.

This week, in pursuit of a higher-fiber lifestyle, I changed from 1/5 white flour to 100% whole-wheat, and substituted cooked, mashed chickpeas for half the potato; got a lovely soft & tasty loaf! Next time I may sub chickpea for all of the potato.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Interesting cooking ideas, what the video.

https://www.facebook.com/happyday2046/v ... 304828207/

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Vanisle_BC wrote:Garbanzo/potato bread.

This week, in pursuit of a higher-fiber lifestyle, I changed from 1/5 white flour to 100% whole-wheat, and substituted cooked, mashed chickpeas for half the potato; got a lovely soft & tasty loaf! Next time I may sub chickpea for all of the potato.
Do you have any Indian groceries near you? If so, you could get some chick pea flour - besan - which makes it easier to use chick peas in bread. Of course, you can get it online, too, or even grind your own, if you have the equipment. I have ground various types of legumes, and used them in place of besan in some flatbreads, to compare the flavors.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

imafan26 wrote:Not really random as I prefer to start with a basic recipe
Grannie's quantities were, from smallest to largest:
A Pickle
A Puckle
A Mickle
A Muckle

Take that, spellcheckers & recipe police!

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Considering all of those bottle gourds I am going to be getting, I ordered myself a spiralizer (just what I need - another kitchen gadget! lol), and used it today to make a Thai dish, Mahogany Fire Noodles, using spiralized bottle gourd, in place of the rice noodles, and it turned out great! My friend, who has eaten this dish with me many times, with rice and regular noodles, said that it was the hottest dish that he had eaten in....he couldn't even remember how long, but he knew "that he had eaten it here!" I told him that it was the hottest thing that I had had in my mouth since I was chewing all those habaneros for pain.

Here is the bottle gourd being spiralized. The original recipe calls for 12 oz fresh rice noodles, but I usually substituted 8 oz dried, soaked to soften. Given the water in the bottle gourd, I used 20 oz of noodles, which I cooked about 2 min. over high heat, to get water out, removed to a bowl, and continued the dish, which only took another 2 min.:
ImageDSCF0801 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The 15 Thai peppers and 10 cloves of garlic, ready to grind:
ImageDSCF0797 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished paste (easier than the mortar and pestle!):
ImageDSCF0798 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The various ingredients lined up, ready to stir-fry. I always rinse out the grinder with fish sauce or soy sauce, or another liquid in the dish:
ImageDSCF0799 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished dish:
ImageDSCF0800 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I'll have to experiment with it some more, since this was my first recipe. I will probably pre-cook it longer next time, to remove more water. And the first size I tried was the "fettuccine", double the width of that in the the photo above, but it didn't all cut the same - much was a wider ribbon size. I still used it, but re-set the blades, and it cut fine.

One thing I'll have to do more next time is cut through the pile of noodles more - there were a number of VERY long ones while we were eating! Minor problem. Next thing I'll try (though I still have over a lb of bottle gourd noodles!) is butternut squash.

applestar
Mod

Wow, the spiralizer works great! Trendy and deliciously healthy meals, pepperhead212! Image

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I made a dish tonight with the rest of that spiralized bottle gourd - Szechwan eggplant, which I used about 1 1/2 lbs EP in, plus another 8 oz of the cubed up bottle gourds I had from another time, just to see how they held up to this cooking, and they did great. The gourds actually held up to the cooking better than most of the eggplants - the green Hari stayed the firmest, about the same as the gourds.

Here are those spiralized gourd noodles I had leftover, and they kept very well for 3 days, as you can see. I tossed them in a little oil, for about 2 min. along with about 1 1/2 c leftover brown rice/oat mix, I had leftover from something else. These I tossed with the finished dish.
ImageDSCF0826 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Ingredients ready for cooking:
ImageDSCF0827 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Seasoning mixes - ginger, garlic, and chili paste - cooked with onion, ready for meat:
ImageDSCF0830 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Meat cooked with seasonings and soy sauce:
ImageDSCF0831 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Veggies being stir-fried several min., before covering and cooking, to steam them:
ImageDSCF0832 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Cooking finished:
ImageDSCF0835 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Noodles and rice, before tossing:
ImageDSCF0836 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished dish:
ImageDSCF0837 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageDSCF0838 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

This is one of those dishes that I can smell for a couple days after cooking it! I am upstairs in my computer room, smelling it now!

I'll have to try the spiralizer on butternuts, next...

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I made another one of those vegetable noodle dishes tonight, after testing that spiralizer. I had about 20 oz of noodles, and I added a cup of spelt, which I pressure cooked, while getting the rest of it ready.

This is sort of a random dish, but not entirely. It is a mushroom pasta dish, the original recipe from an old Marcella Hazan CB, which was served on fresh egg pasta - a dish to die for! I have changed it considerably - changed the butter to olive oil, and the cheese from reggiano to asiago (what I have today), and added rosemary (I'm getting fresh rosemary already!). I still add those dried muchrooms - something I learned from her books, and I still do to this day, with many, of not most, mushroom dishes I make. Another one of those ingredients I am never without!

Soaked dried boletus mushrooms:
ImageDSCF0861 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Cleaned, minced, and added to the cooked onions (I know what it looks like!):
ImageDSCF0862 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Cooking them with the soaking water, to boil it off, and extract the flavor:
ImageDSCF0863 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Most of the water cooked off:
ImageDSCF0864 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Chopped cremini mushrooms added.
ImageDSCF0866 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Much of the mushroom's water cooked off.
ImageDSCF0867 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

"noodles" and spelt added, to toss with the muchrooms, then covered, to steam 5 min., to take the rawness out of the noodles.
ImageDSCF0868 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Asiago cheese added.
ImageDSCF0869 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished dish:
ImageDSCF0870 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Not as good as that original recipe with the butter and fresh pasta, but a lot better for me!

applestar
Mod

Looks like you are having fun with your new toy. :D :wink:

I don’t have pictures but I decided I had to have BLACKBERRY COBBLER thanks to certain someone from TN who kept posting about it :lol:

But my blackberries have barely started coming in, so I looked to see if I had any left in the freezer— about 1 cup. Then remembered I had about 2/3 of a 1/2 gal jar filled with good berries and organic cane and brown sugars, honey, and Bacardi rum that I hadn’t decanted yet. Poured through fine mesh strainer into bottles - 1-1/2 pints of lovely blackberry liqueur. Then food milled the berries to remove the seeds.

I wasn’t measuring and didn’t realize I had too much deseeded berries now, so my cobbler ended up with fabulously rich jam and only half as much batter as needed — should have doubled the recipe. But oh my is it yum!

I used Betty Crocker blackberry cobbler and Paula Dean peach cobbler recipes for reference.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Looks like you are having fun with your new toy. :D :wink:

I don’t have pictures but I decided I had to have BLACKBERRY COBBLER thanks to certain someone from TN who kept posting about it :lol:

But my blackberries have barely started coming in, so I looked to see if I had any left in the freezer— about 1 cup. Then remembered I had about 2/3 of a 1/2 gal jar filled with good berries and organic cane and brown sugars, honey, and Bacardi rum that I hadn’t decanted yet. Poured through fine mesh strainer into bottles - 1-1/2 pints of lovely blackberry liqueur. Then food milled the berries to remove the seeds.

I wasn’t measuring and didn’t realize I had too much deseeded berries now, so my cobbler ended up with fabulously rich jam and only half as much batter as needed — should have doubled the recipe. But oh my is it yum!

I used Betty Crocker blackberry cobbler and Paula Dean peach cobbler recipes for reference.
Applestar, I am glad you make yourself a Blackberry Cobbler, that is something everyone should have when berries are ripe. I have 1 cup of blackberries in the refrigerator waiting for another cup from the bush but the red quarter size berries have been red for a week and just setting there. Today I am thinking how good Peach Cobbler is and I have a can of peaches in the pantry so maybe we will have a peach cobbler while we wait for more blackberries to get ripe. LOL :-()

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”