sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

New garden, new opportunities!

I sadly didn't get to do a garden last year ,because we put our house on the market and then lived at my parents in a camper for 5 months. But we finally in and now the snow is melted! I've spread the lime and I'll be getting manure next weekend. I know many of you helped me try and get my garden at my old house to do.well and it just wouldn't. I'm really hoping this will be a fruitful garden. I have all.my.seedlings started and I'm.pretty excited. My garden will be pretty big and I bought a ton of squash seed varieties that I am.very excited about growing! Hopefully the svb doesn't find me here! I planted several fruit trees as well. I just took a tree grafting class last week, which was interesting. Here is to new beginnings! I love love love my new property, I have space to do all the gardening I love!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Congratulations! Show us some pictures of your new place! How much land do you have?

I remember the issues with your old place some of which had to do with excess acidity of soil and water. You might want to start out with a soil test at your new place and maybe test the water too.

Best Wishes!! :)

imafan26
Mod

Its nice to start a brand new garden, but it is a lot of work. I would second getting a soil test and checking out what other people are growing. If you are in a different zone, you may have to account for that and get plants suited to your local environment.

applestar
Mod

Congrats and good luck! Looking forward to hearing more about your new property and watching your new garden grow with you. :D

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Congratulations! Show us some pictures of your new place! How much land do you have?

I remember the issues with your old place some of which had to do with excess acidity of soil and water. You might want to start out with a soil test at your new place and maybe test the water too.

Best Wishes!! :)
We have 6.32 acres vs .93 acres at the last place. My back yard is huge too!!! I was going to post a picture, but I couldn't figure out how to on my phone. I'll have to turn on my computer tomorrow. You're right though, a soil.test would be a good idea!!

I'm going to get a water test. We also have a brook and I thought about using water from.the brook for the garden, but I would have to run a lot of hose as it is far

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

imafan26 wrote:Its nice to start a brand new garden, but it is a lot of work. I would second getting a soil test and checking out what other people are growing. If you are in a different zone, you may have to account for that and get plants suited to your local environment.
Thankfully, I'm just 5 minutes from where I was before! The soil here is actual soil though. My other house was a bunch of Sandy fill that they filled in an aquifer

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Congrats and good luck! Looking forward to hearing more about your new property and watching your new garden grow with you. :D
Thank you!!! I've missed you guys! It's been an interesting year! I'm hopeful that things will grow here. I have a good acre of cleared land, so there is a lot I can do. I'm going to clear more as well and build a proper greenhouse. My friend who is a farmer and owned a nursery etc, says this land is wayyyyyyy better and she can't see me having issues with it. I hope she's right!!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”