Gardener123
Green Thumb

2017 - what peppers are you growing?

This year I will be growing about 12 varieties of super hots that I will eat very little of. But I hope to start making powders and spice mixes to sell at the farmer's market in the fall. Everything from habaneros to Carolina Reapers. There are SO MANY hybrids these days...... :shock:

But I also have just put my seeds in pots for Jimmy Nardello, Shishito, Purple Bell, Yellow Monster, and a few others.

Which peppers are you growing in 2017?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

The peppers I put in the garden are usually bell, banana, Hungarian Hot Wax (almost identical to banana peppers, only hotter), jalapeno, cayenne, habanero, Trinidad Scorpion Butch T's and hopefully a couple Carolina Reapers.

I make my own pepper flakes, hot sauces, pepper jellies, pickled peppers and cook with them, so they get used.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Here are the new peppers (so far) in my garden for 2017:

Auletto
Carolina Reaper (only superhot)
Habanada (no heat habanero)
Jimmy Nardello
Mosquetero Ancho hybrid
Prik Chi Faa Thai (grew this before, but looks different from here)

And here are my old favorites:
Fresno
Habaneros - Red Savina and Chocolate
Hanoi Market
Jalafuego
Superchili
Superthai
Thai Nippon Taka

imafan26
Mod

It is a little early for me to start peppers but I usually grow these
Hawaiian Chili (most popular)
Tabasco
Super Chili
Wailua Chili (Jalapeno)
Serrano
Carolina Reaper
Trinidad Scorpion
Bhut Jolokia
Anaheim
Carmen/Corno de' Toro
Banana
Cubanelle
Chinese Giant Bell
Yellow Bell
Thai (I have about 4 different varieties )
Joe E. Parker
Caribbean Red
Habanero
Scotch Bonnet
Cayenne
Fushimi
Shishito

New ones I plan to try out. Some I have seeds for, some I have to find seeds.
Fish pepper
Fatali
Cascabella
mushroom
chiletepin (I tried before but they failed to germinate)
Hatch (If I can find seeds)
Red Knight
Italian Roaster
Chile d'arbol
mirasol
Jwala
Poblano
Paprika

MOFishin

Jalapenos, sweet banana, yolo wonder, cayenne, serrano.

Types I'm trying for the first time are: Chinese 5 color peppers, zavory habanero and Ozark Giant.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

I went a little overboard this year: Chinese Giant, Orange Bell, Sweetest Pepper, Marconi Red, Giant Marconi, Quadrate Di Asti Rosso, Golden Treasure, Sweet Banana, Zolotistyi, Frank's Sweet, Wisconsin Lakes, Corno Di Toro Giallo, Cubanelle, Omarsko Kambei, Cherveya Chushko, Roumanian Sweet, Giant Aconcagua, Buran.

All are sweet and most I have grown before except for the Russian peppers, Wisconsin Lakes and Roumanian Sweet. I grew out all the seeds I had left over and ordered a bunch of new ones plus the bonus seeds from the seed vendors. Lots-o-peppers this year.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Cutting Back a bit on the hot peppers,
  • Pepper Sweet, California Wonder
  • Pepper Sweet, Corno di Toro Giallo
  • Pepper Sweet, Ruby King
  • Pepper Hot, Tabasco
  • Pepper Hot, Jalapeno
  • Pepper Hot, Ghost chili
  • Pepper - Poblano
Last year I also had, Datil, Anaheim, Costa Rican Sweet Pepper.
I have so much hot sauce already.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I am so glad to see that I am not the only person who plans on a bunch of peppers this year. I had so many peppers last year that I pickled them and within one month my friends and neighbors had bought them all up. So of course that just encourages me to plant more. :-()

I have started Chocolate Reapers, Yellow Reapers, Carolina Reapers, Ghost, Chiltepin, and Scorpion peppers.

I plan on planting Ancho, Jalapeno, hot chilli, cayenne, North King Bell, Hungarian Cheese, Mini Belle Blend, Cherry Pick, Chablis, Time Bomb, Blight Buster, Quadrallo, Sensation, and Sweet Gourmet.

Gardener123
Green Thumb

SQWIB, do you have datil seeds to trade?

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Gardener123 wrote:SQWIB, do you have datil seeds to trade?
Absolutely

imafan26
Mod

Just planted some serrano, cayenne, Chinese Giant, and anaheim today. I will wait a couple of more weeks to plant the really hot ones when it gets a little warmer.

Dirt

My space is limited, so I have to pick and choose. I'm trying a couple of new/old varieties this season. A Wisconsin Lakes Bell pepper which is a proven Great Lakes variety. A medium hot large red pepper call Beaver Dam, also chosen as it's a proven pepper for my region. This will be for homemade smoked paprika.

An early jalapeño for everyday use and freezing. A Greek pepperoncini and sweet banana for pickling, and a cayenne for drying.

Nothing too exotic, but I am excited to see what the Beaver Dam does.

imafan26
Mod

My friend likes to dry his peppers and then grind them to a powder and freeze them. I have dried some peppers but I have not made any sauce except chili pepper water. How do you make your hot sauce?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:My friend likes to dry his peppers and then grind them to a powder and freeze them. I have dried some peppers but I have not made any sauce except chili pepper water. How do you make your hot sauce?

Not sure who you are asking about making hot sauce, but I do make 3-4 gallons of it every year when my peppers are thriving. I make my hot sauce with a mix of Habanero and Trinidad Scorpion Butch T peppers and what follows is the basics since I never measure anything when cooking but rely on how it looks, smells and tastes to me.

I'll put my peppers that have only been cleaned to the point of rinsing off any dirt and removing any green stem material. I do not take out the seed and pith. I'll then put about 40 peppers in my blender and puree them, then I'll add one good size chopped onion, 4-5 cloves garlic, about 1/4 cup salt, the juice of half a large lemon and in the neighborhood of 2 cups vinegar and blend this until a smooth puree is formed. Then I pour this off into a stainless steel pot and repeat the procedure until all my peppers are used up. This sauce does have some fine pulp in it and is not a wet sauce, but it does pour well.

After all the processing is done in the blender I will cook the pepper sauce down for about 1/2 hour after it comes to a low boil and stir this often as it cooks. Then it's simply a matter of placing it in jars and putting it in a hot water bath for another 15 minutes or so and then let the jars cool on a countertop so they form a seal. I'll store them in my pantry until needed and once open I'll transfer the sauce to a shaker bottle like an old Worcestershire Sauce bottle and I just leave this out on the countertop as it doesn't go bad once open if not refrigerated.

I've given away gallons of this stuff to friends and family that can take the heat and it is one of their favorites, but rest assured it is definitely much hotter than many commercial hot sauces one finds on the supermarket shelves for general home use. I can literally drink Tabasco hot sauce, but my stuff needs to be used sparingly.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I have wondered about making hot sauce. That looks like a great recipe. Both DW and I use the commercial products but so sparingly that it hardly makes sense to make it. We do, however, dry hot peppers and use the flakes. DW will also run fresh hot peppers through the blender and freeze the paste.

I like peppers. Sweet are absolutely fine :) even if jalapeno is a favorite flavor. And, even if this isn't especially good country for growing peppers. There are too many chilly nights for chillies through the growing season. Still, I try and generally have enough plants to enjoy plenty of peppers, low production and all.

The seed order is out and, so far, the pepper patch will be exactly the same varieties as 2016: early jalapeno, garden salsa, super chili, Thai hot, yatsufusa, Anaheim, giant Marconi, king of the north, red knight, sunsation, & vivaldi. Admittedly, the yatsufusa is so attractive, we use it as an ornamental. Giant Marconi is a favorite but it isn't very productive and the other sweet peppers have their place, right along beside it ;).

Steve :D

Gardener123
Green Thumb

Gumbo, I was at a restaurant on Saturday night.... They had "ghost pepper" sauce for the wings.... LOL..... a 7 year old kid could drink it.... it wasn't even as hot as Tabasco sauce. This was the "7th Level" of heat...... They even double dog dared the customers to eat it.....

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Gardener123 wrote:Gumbo, I was at a restaurant on Saturday night.... They had "ghost pepper" sauce for the wings.... LOL..... a 7 year old kid could drink it.... it wasn't even as hot as Tabasco sauce. This was the "7th Level" of heat...... They even double dog dared the customers to eat it.....

That's too funny. Perhaps I should send them a pint of my hot sauce so they can up their game a bit. They may have to invent a new "Level" if that stuff was considered a 7th Level of heat.

A couple months ago I brought a friend of mine a bottle of my sauce that I put in a Worcestershire Sauce bottle and one of his friends was wanting to try it. He let him shake a few drops into his palm and it took the guy about 3 seconds to start with the hiccups, which is a sign of how hot it is. He polished off his cold beer and told my friend and I we could keep that stuff.

imafan26
Mod

I just remembered I do have a pepper sauce recipe. I forgot about it because it is more of a relish then a pourable sauce.
a quart of stemmed and capped hot peppers. I usually use tabasco (Hawaiian tabasco), super chili, and Thai peppers. The cleaned peppers are put in a blender along with a head of peeled garlic, fish sauce to just cover the peppers, and about a tablespoon of lemon juice. Pureed together and then put in clean jars. Ready to serve after flavors have blended about 72 hours.

Thanks Gumbo for the sauce recipe.

Gardener123
Green Thumb

Now that is interesting as I love fish sauce, but no vinegar at all? I guess the fish sauce has enough preservatives.

applestar
Mod

I'll just copy this list here -- as noted, some are doing well -- blooming and fruiting have already started, which is what I absolutely LOVE about overwintering peppers -- and others are barely hanging on so may not make it. I'll add the new seeds to start for this year after thinking about it some more.... :>

Subject: Applestar's 2017 Garden
applestar wrote:So, I just took a rough inventory of surviving overwintered peppers.... according to this, I have 40+ pepper plants, some started in 2015 and 2014 = in their 3rd and 4th year .... :shock:

Some are in rough shape and we still might have 2.5 months before they can go outside, meaning they still might not make it -- so I will have to think carefully what new varieties/replacement plants I should start now.... :-()

If you see glaring omissions or have must grow recommendations please LMK. Image

---

2016-17 overwintered peppers
Multiple listing indicate multiple plants. Number like (2) means doubled up in a container.

Pepper, Aji Pineapple
Pepper, Aji Pineapple
Pepper, Alma Édes Paprika 2015
Pepper, Bhut Jolokia (Naga) 2014
Pepper, Bhut Jolokia Peach
Pepper, Bolivian Rainbow 2015 (3)
Pepper, Bolivian Rainbow 2015
Pepper, Bonda ma Jacques 2014
Pepper, Brazillian Starfish
Pepper, Brazillian Starfish
Pepper, BST Lady Bug Ellie's last 2 vendor seeds
Pepper, Bulgarian Carrot (hot)
Pepper, Chocolate Cake? 2015
Pepper, Chocoloco Sweet
Pepper, Czechoslovakian Black 2015
Pepper, Damalik Bieber (counselor)
Pepper, de Arbol (2)
Pepper, Donkey Ears 2014?
Pepper, Doux Long d'Antibes 2015
Pepper, Fehérözön or Roumanian Rainbow 2015
Pepper, Fish LeastVar 2014
Pepper, Gochu Garu Yong Gochu 고추 가루 용 고추 (Pepper for chili powder)
Pepper, Gochu Garu Yong Gochu 고추 가루 용 고추 (Pepper for chili powder)
Pepper, Golden Habanero
Pepper, Jalamundo?
Pepper, Jalapeño
Pepper, Jaloro
Pepper, Lip Nokgwang 녹광고추(Medium Hot pepper)
Pepper, Lip Nokgwang 녹광고추(Medium Hot pepper)
Pepper, Madame Jeanette (2)
Pepper, Maui Purple (Pepperhead) 2015
Pepper, Mini Paprika Orange 2015
Pepper, Pascilla Bajio 2015
Pepper, Peppadew
Pepper, Ros de Mallorca (Counselor) (2)
Pepper, Scotch Bonnet 2014
Pepper, Shishito
Pepper, Sun Thai 2015
Pepper, Szentesi Feher 2015
Pepper, Takanotsume 2015
Pepper, Tolli's Sweet Italian OR Sweet Ingrid
Pepper, Trinidad Perfum (p) 2015
Pepper, Yatsufusa 2015

Gardener123
Green Thumb

Apple, when you overwinter, you supply lights, or do you have a place the sun can get to your peppers?

applestar
Mod

As a rule I put them in southeast (back) windows which is the best sun-exposure I have. Once the leaves are completely gone from the trees in the back of the property, the winter sun rises directly east-south-east and will pour in these windows due to lower angle. But the sunlight is by no means enough, and I provide supplemental light of varying intensity.

For example --
Winter Wonderland has an overhead hanging 4-tube 4 ft t8 shoplight
Cool Gang has a 2-tube 4 ft t12 shoplight standing vertically
Kitchen window bench has double CFL bulb utility lights one either end
Green Room has a giant CFL bulb atop a torchere by the window. -- plants are on a low cabinet that used to be a TV stand, and I have one blooming/fruiting pepper sitting on the surface of a 2-3 gal pot of young avo. A couple of others in the interior of the room WAY under a hanging 4-tube 4 ft t8 shoplight -- surviving but not really blooming.
Yellow Room has just one double CFL bulb utility light, but this is upstairs and warmer and the peppers are more lush with new growths that began earlier than the ones downstairs.

I also put small plants under the seed starting shelves, some of which do not get much direct sun at all. My Winter Paradise shelves, however, is in a Northwest window and is jut now starting to receive some of the setting sun as the days lengthen and the sun sets more directly in the West... and then will set north of west as the season progresses.

...I guess I should add that I'm getting best results from WWL and CG, but the ones in the other areas are also blooming snd fruiting. It's better to have lights on both sides of the window -- The one side of the window without supplemental lights in the Yellow Room is a bit dark and growth can get elongated/less blooming.

Overall, I have found the overwintered peppers to need LESS light than tomatoes to survive, especially in lower/cool temperatures, and less intensity to bloom and fruit. Considering tomatoes are easier to start from seeds and grow to maturity within the growing season, I find myself tending to want to overwinter more peppers than tomatoes, though I'm planning to resume my winter tomato trials next winter.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

You all make me feel pepper incomplete. I usually grow Purple Belle, Chocolate Beauty and a small fruited hot pepper of some kind. I tried several packs of old seed which haven't sprouted so I'm trying some others. I bought new seed for the Purple Belle, habanero, and poblano. There's not enough time to order any new super hots so I'll just go with whatever comes up, even if it's nothing. I'll have my new wish list made before the 2018 catalogs come out.

applestar
Mod

Last year, a good friend sent me her last two vendor seeds of BST Ladybug.

I was only able to get one of them to grow. :? It was REALLY slow to grow and was still tiny after a season in the garden, so of course I overwintered it. And it is starting to bloom. It's a hybrid with varied expression in the fruits so I'm really looking forward to finding out what I get. Image

I found some great photos at this site (source, I think?)
https://mojopepper.blogspot.com/p/black- ... ongue.html
The Mojo Pepper - Just a Chili Pepper grower: Black Scorpion Tongue Ladybug phenotype

applestar
Mod

Not Peach Bhut Jolokia

Well, it seems my Peach Bhut is not fruiting true to type. I thought the fruits look like a small 1 inch habanero type -- like the way Peru White Hab and White Bullet look. At first I thought/hoped it was because of the mite infestation and threw out the first pod that looked like it had fully ripened.... :?

So I searched for "Peach Bhut x habanero"and came across a very interesting similarity with these, especially the smallest smoother blunt/snub nosed pods... mine might not be as wrinkled. My Winter Indoor Garden Not Peach Bhut is on the Cool Gang floor, which means it is in the low 60's except when the space heater is being used in the room by someone.

I think mine still looks kind of peach colored. I wonder if the fruits will also change color or grow more elongated or wrinkled in the summer?
https://thehotpepper.com/topic/54076-the ... ?p=1149316

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:09 AM
TKP Bhut Jolokia Snub Nose - Peach Gen 1

This was initialy a plant that was an uknown quanitity, it was grown from a batch of Peach Bhut seed

https://thehotpepper.com/topic/54076-the ... try1173421

TKP BHUT JOLOKIA SNUB NOSE - Officially not calling this a Peach anymore.. I'm going with Orange..

Here's some more of the TKP Bhut Jolokia Snub Nose (BJSN) - 2 of the pods got to the standard size and the others where obviously under as we head into winter.. The plant is still maintaining that size so I am confident its a true genetic trait ..

imafan26
Mod

I grow some superhots for fun but I would not attempt to eat them. Even handling a bhut jolokia bare handed made my hands burn for two hours and I started tearing and sneezing shortly after I opened the pod. It was dumb of me, I knew I should have worn gloves. From now on, maybe a mask as well.

Gumbo, the pepper sauce doesn't need vinegar, the salt and oil in the fish sauce does the preserving. There is some lemon juice for acidity. The sauce is kept in the refrigerator. I don't leave it outside and it lasts for months.

Another sauce we like to have is from Guam. Finadene. Is like tobasco on the table. It is always made fresh and is a must with kilaguen (BBQ meat, chicken, or seafood prepared with lemon). While it goes great with any grilled food, it can be put on just about anything you could put tabasco sauce on.

Finadene
1/4 cup vinegar or lemon juice (lime juice works too)
1/2 cup soy sauce (kikoman brand is best)
2 stalks green onions minced
3-5 boonie (bird peppers) You can use any hot pepper you like. Guamanians like the fiery bird peppers that are around 80,000 SHU. The are similar to chiletepin peppers.

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Let it blend for a couple of hours in the frig before serving. The lemon or calamandin slices are sometimes floated in the sauce.

It is finally warming up so I am starting to plant my milder pepper seeds. I'll wait until the night temps are in the 70's before I plant the super hots. My nights are around 68 degrees now and the days around 81-85. It feels hotter lately because of the Kona weather. The super hots germinate better when it is 80, but the milder peppers will germinate at 68 degrees.

Gardener123
Green Thumb

Apple, my peach scorpions are now about 1" to 4" tall...... I honestly don't care if they are true as long as the color is right.... I want a huge variety of colors. That said, my supplier said all seeds are true.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Seed from 7 varieties have germinated. The exceptions are the oldest seed.

I'm not really worried ... yet. It's a little awkward that they are all in 2 containers and the seedlings require what little light is available to them in the South Window. The seed yet to emerge benefits from the warmer temperatures in the kitchen. Everything goes back in there, overnight. If the sunlight is blocked by clouds, the cool South Window is a good place for the seedlings but not the seed.

Competition between plants that get off to a quick start and those slow off the blocks can squeeze out the weak sisters in the coming weeks. I have had trouble with this in other years. I've little reason to be concerned that some won't have a good start so far. Earliest are tiny Thai Hots and their 4 day jumping the gun just gives them a benefit that they need with their big sister neighbors.

I'm soon to do the 2nd sowing for everything and have really fresh seed for 2 of the laggards ... and had better use it!

Steve

Gardener123
Green Thumb

Seems like, with hot peppers, the paper towel germination method works best for me.

applestar
Mod

Peppers have always given me trouble, although I like to think I'm getting a little bit better are starting them from seeds each year. This year, some of my pepper seeds were eaten by maggots -- fungus gnats I have to assume since there were some in the seed starting containers. I have never observed this before...maybe never noticed? Or this year's fungus gnats have new appetites. One variety I wanted to particularly grow -- Santa Lucia Island -- has been wiped out, but I started some more with more sterile seedzip/plastic spoonhead/sand DE method.

Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate is starting to sprout -- one knuckling and another germinated upside down with root hairs on the surface so I gently scraped up some moist coir over the exposed seed root and tapped it down. Hopefully this second one will sprout tomorrow. :()
Gardener123 wrote:Apple, my peach scorpions are now about 1" to 4" tall...... I honestly don't care if they are true as long as the color is right.... I want a huge variety of colors. That said, my supplier said all seeds are true.
Looking forward to hearing more about your Peach scorpions. 8)

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Apple,

I don't think I've had peppers or seeds destroyed by fungus gnats, but I used to have them every year, until I found a solution: Microbe Lift (actually, I used to use another, more dilute brand, but it is only available in 2.5 and 50 gal amounts now!). This is a liquid with Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis - the same thing in mosquito bits and dunks, and extremely concentrated. Only 8 drops/gal needed, and one 6 oz container lasts me two years, since I only use it every 4or 5 waterings (just watered my indoor plants with it today). When I moisten the pro mix or whatever when I am getting ready to pack the pots for planting, I use this, so it is in from the beginning. I use filtered water when mixing it up - I figure chlorine might kill the bacteria. I have NEVER had fungus gnats in my house, since using this! The cheapest place for it is an Aquarium place online, where it sells it as a mosquito control for ponds. I can always find enough to get the free shipping ($50), since I have 4 aquariums, as well.
https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=12263

I used to use this in my hydroponics, but now I just break off pieces of mosquito dunks, and drop them in every few weeks.

ZorbarPTLX

Hi there,
Last year was my first experience with hot peppers. I've used the papper towel method and work fine. But as I've started in the wrong time of the year, all the small plants died due to the cold weather.
This spring I decided to go on a diferent approach and I'm using the IKEA Vaxer hidrophonic system. Nursery is very good to germinate. Both Carolina Reapers as Trinidad Moruga Scorpion germinated in two weeks and I've moved some plants already.
20170327_074223.jpg
20170321_073058.jpg
Regards from Portugal

webmaster
Site Admin

Looks cool. How much did you pay for that? Retails in the UK for 58 pounds which is about $75 USD.

applestar
Mod

pepperhead212 wrote:Apple,

I don't think I've had peppers or seeds destroyed by fungus gnats, but I used to have them every year, until I found a solution: Microbe Lift
Thanks, pepperhead! I'll have to keep this in mind when my container of Mosquito Bits run out. :D

applestar
Mod

These pepperd have sprouted. Most are multiples and some are already in individual K-cups:

Pepper, Giant Marconi - mottled (SIP'15)
Pepper, Jalapeño (winter Feb'15/9.5.16)
Pepper, Jaloro Jalapeño (paprika garden 8.5.16, Ellie's last)
Pepper, NuMex Jalmundo (vendor Ellie'15) - may not be true to type
Pepper, NuMex Lemon Spice (patihum 8.16.16)
Pepper, Santa Lucia Island (paprika deck 8.21.16)
Pepper, Shishito (DrBTX'15)
Pepper, SuperVar Fish (Jan'15)
Pepper, Sweet Chocoloco (Ellie'15)
Pepper, Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate (geoffrey44)

...I think I goofed with the supervar Fish -- I meant to grow out seeds from a fruit that matured tangerine orange rather than the normal red type....

ZorbarPTLX

webmaster wrote:Looks cool. How much did you pay for that? Retails in the UK for 58 pounds which is about $75 USD.
It's not expensive.

Prices in Euros: https://www.ikea.com/pt/pt/catalog/categ ... ing/35170/

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The first sowing of peppers are out in the greenhouse with the heat turned on.

I'm tired of waiting for sunshine in the South Window! The seedlings have needs that are not being met and the greenhouse has more sunlight. Those peppers are developing true leaves. It won't be above 64°f unless the sun comes out but I'm doing something to be of help.

The second sowing will stay in the house where only the Jalapeno are sprouting. They are one of the laggards in the first batch. Armed with new seed this time - I have that part of the pepper patch covered. I hope! Now to see if I get a few more bells to sprout.

Old seed for both the Jalapeno and the King of the North bells did begin to emerge recently. They are so far behind that the other varieties will inhibit their growth and when I begin to drag the others out to go in their individual containers - the newest seedlings won't be ready to be disturbed. Well, I tried.

Steve

ZorbarPTLX

Hello,

I just want to give you an update. Yesterday I've installed the LED light from the IKEA Vaxer System. Let's see if it works well.
In a couple of days I'll transfer to the last pot available two Peter Penis Pepper that are sprouting now.
I'll have in this system 3 type of peppers. Carolina Reaper, Trinidad Morouga Scorpion and Peter Penis Pepper.
What I don't know yet its what I'll do when they grow and I need to move them..Continue in Hydroponics or move them to soil.
20170327_223559.jpg

applestar
Mod

Its not easy to separate out in this group shot, but here is a Maui Purple, originally one of a seedling pepperhead shared with me back in 2015. It was looking very sad from mite infestation but has recovered after the predatory mites were introduced.

I'm starting to train it -- opening up the center for more air circulation and better shape -- by bending down the stems and branches. The branches with purple flowers are part of Maui Purple. I'm excited about the trunk characteristic -- those bumps will look cool after I clean up the twigs.

Later on when everybody goes outside, I'll be able to take individual portraits of this and other ones I'm designating "bonsai (bonchi) wannabe" :()

Emma'schillies
Newly Registered

This year I'm growing

Black pearl
Lemondrop
Carolina reaper
Devils tounge
Basket of fire
Peter pepper
Hungarian hot wax
Jalapeño
Ring of fire
And an overwintered orange wonder that I stuffed in a bonsai dish which has just started to produce flowers.

I'm sure there are more but can't think off the top of my head.

I bought numex twilight seeds that didn't germinate so I have ordered these as plugs from seaspring seeds along with a veriaty they call 'stumpy'

This photo was taken about 3 weeks ago (I hope it uploads)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0yha6mffc0wro ... 5.jpg?dl=0

Return to “Pepper Forum”