SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Re: Applestar's 2017 Garden

You do know that you are going to be my "go to" when selecting next years seeds! :mrgreen:

applestar
Mod

We can pm when the "eggs are hatched" :wink:

applestar
Mod

I might need to start a separate thread for this -- I wonder where I put my rice thread?

This year I'm going to grow Koshihikari+purple hulless barley (I think I have to sow that soon)+crimson clover. I want to succession plant per 1-straw rev. But I can't grow the barley over the winter here, so I may have to improvise... or grow the barley elsewhere.

I have a new special corn variety to try too.

applestar
Mod

Started some more --

Flower, Baloon Star Flower blue (DDsack.september'14)
Flower, Peony Poppy pink double (orig. seeds from New Zealand '14 DDsack.september'16)
Flower, Peony Poppy red double (original seeds from Swallowtail Garden'15 DDsack.september'16)
Herb, Mexican Mint Marigold 2014
Celery, Tango (fedco'12-13)
Celery, Ventura (fedco'12-13)

Those celery seeds might be too old. I already had trouble getting the Same batch of Mexican mint marigold to germinate last year -- if these don't sprout, I'm tossing the seeds. I think I have Chinese Celery seeds... I should also see if I harvested•saved any celery seeds last year. (REALLY need to re-org my seed stash before this year's seed harvest•saving starts :oops: )

Two of my crosses sprouted along with a few others --

Pepper, Giant Marconi - mottled (SIP'15 ... 13d
Eggplant, Orient Express (F2 2.1.15) ... 15d
Tomato, Mucha Miel (gerardo'Nov2016) ... 4d
Tomato, WS.FFS {Whippersnapper x FFSlv} F4 heart 8.16.16 ChLn ... 4d
Tomato, Wes '14 ... 4d
Cabbage Chinese, Michihili Ellie ... 4d
Tomato, M.CF.F3.P2 {Maglia Rosa x Coyote+FFSlv} F3 small pink cherry Sept'16 ... 4d

applestar
Mod

I'm a little bit worried about those seedlings that have extremely pale colored true leaves. At first I thought the variety might be chatreuse leaf, but that doesn't appear to be the case (The potato leaf ones that are most obvious are Dwarf Blazing Beauty). I tried letting them dry a bit more today, then misted and watered with a pinch of epsom salts in the water. Maybe that will help.

applestar
Mod

I gathered up some baby wormy-worms from the vermicomposter and put one each in the K-cups with pale colored leaves. :()

As of this morning --

applestar
Mod

So, just to re-cap ... these are the varieties that have sprouted (I have one or more of) so far

• SPROUTED VARIETIES: 45 •

Broccoli, Green Goliath SESE
Cabbage Chinese, Michihili Ellie
DGREENS, ETC. SPROUTED TOTAL: 2
Eggplant, Hari (g2'15)
Eggplant, Kamo (kitazawa '15-'16)
Eggplant, Orient Express (F2 2.1.15)
EGGPLANTS SPROUTED TOTAL: 3
Pepper, Giant Marconi - mottled (SIP'15)
Pepper, Jalapeño (winter Feb'15/9.5.16)
Pepper, Jaloro Jalapeño (paprika garden 8.5.16, Ellie's last)
Pepper, NuMex Jalmundo (vendor Ellie'15) - may not be true to type
Pepper, NuMex Lemon Spice (patihum 8.16.16)
Pepper, Santa Lucia Island (paprika deck 8.21.16)
Pepper, Shishito (DrBTX'15)
Pepper, SuperVar Fish (Jan'15)
Pepper, Sweet Chocoloco (Ellie'15)
Pepper, Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate (geoffrey44)
PEPPERS SPROUTED TOTAL: 10
Tomato, (was) Alonzo's Medals F3 (HBR 9.11.16) bi-color good antho shoulders
Tomato, Amana Orange (Ellie EGT'14)
Tomato, Amy Sue (digitS'15) Giant Syrian x Marianna's Peace (F5? F6?)
Tomato, Brandywine OTV (vendor EGT'14)
Tomato, Cheste (gerardo'Jul2016)
Tomato, De Colgar Papuo PL (gerardo'Jul2016)
Tomato, Delicious (itali 2016)
Tomato, Dwf Blazing Beauty (itali 2016)
Tomato, Dwf Brandy Fred PL (itali 2016)
Tomato, Dwf Chocolate Lightning (tbug)
Tomato, Dwf Orange Cream (itali 2016)
Tomato, Elser's Brown Derby (itali 2016)
Tomato, Ernie's Plump (meb'16)
Tomato, Isolde (clara 2016)
Tomato, M.CF.F3.P2 {Maglia Rosa x Coyote+FFSlv} F3 small pink cherry Sept'16
Tomato, Mara Pulcent (clara 2016)
Tomato, Maskotka (Clara 2016)
Tomato, Mikhalych (tb 2016)
Tomato, Opalka (windingwoods'13 Marsha)
Tomato, Ramallet D’es Figueral (gerardo'Nov2016)
Tomato, Roman Candle (2012 TDRR'14-15 M-Z)
Tomato, Sergeant Pepper's (itali'16)
Tomato, The Witz (digitS'16) Woodle Orange x unknown F7 or F8
Tomato, Uluru Ochre (2016)
Tomato, Vernissage Yellow Clear Flesh (VGC'15)
Tomato, Wes '14
Tomato, WS.FFS {Whippersnapper x FFSlv} F4 heart 8.16.16 ChLn
TOMATOES SPROUTED TOTAL: 27
TPS, Amarosa {sp?} (meb'15)

...and these have germinated in the seedzip today...

Tomato, Faelan's First Snow (DDsack.september'15)
Tomato, Grandma Oliver's Chocolate (gixx'13)
Tomato, Raymondo's Australian Mist 2016
Tomato, Rebel Yell (asmx'13)
Tomato, Terhune x ? F3? HBR'16

applestar
Mod

I forgot about these.... :roll:

They were started early but have been in the Garage V8 since before the cold snap -- temps in the 30's°F -- so they have been growing very slowly. Plus I sometimes forget or didn't want to go out there in the cold, and I let them dry out a couple of times, too.... Then got busy with the solanacea seed starting and neglected them. I uppotted -- a couple of weeks ago? -- when they were looking near death and didn't even make a note of it in my notes. :oops: At least they are looking better.

I dropped the ball with the onion seedlings because I had meant to push them to grow with extra fertilizer, etc. :|

I should start hardening these and get them ready to plant in the garden. Once the garage temp stabilizes above 50°F, uppotted tomato seedlings will be moved out to the Garage V8.

applestar
Mod

Was separating some seedlings today -- 1 K-cup of Michihili seedlings turned into 7 K-cups, 1 K-cup of supervariegated Fish pepper seedlings turned into 5 K-cups, 1 K-cup of Kamo eggplant seedlings into 3 K-cups with 4 just seedleaf little ones in 1 K-cup (I.e. 6 seedlings total). 13 K-cups exactly fit in the Chinese takeout trays I'm using right now, so these filled another tray.

Using recycled the K-cups is a great space saver, but this method, like the spoonzip technique, can lull me into starting too many seeds, then I get in trouble when it's time to uppot them, and eventually when it's time to plant them. :roll:

... but when I think standard 2 Tbs measure ground coffee per cup, so 4 ...well let's say 5 to allow for some loss in recovery... K-cups equal 1 cup of UCG for adding to the compost pile or feeding the vermicomposter worms, I can't help wanting to recover the UCG's rather than jut tossing them out, and it's so easy to just cut off the rim to remove the cover and free the glued-on filter, then make three cuts on the bottom edge for drainage. I might as well prep the K-cups for use, then I might as well use them.... hahaha. :wink: (Oh! And I rinse off the filters with water for watering the container plants with UCG --- too funny, right? just call me Scrooge :> )

applestar
Mod

Yesterday's Tally :

# CONTAINERS GROWING : 127
# NOT SPROUTED YET : 37

So the numbers might seem like a lot but actually represent only about 2 trays of cell inserts worth, I think? The difference as I see it, is that there are NO WASTED CELLS TAKING UP VALUABLE SPACE -- those empties used to drive me mad.

The way I'm doing it makes sense for me because the small sandwich clamshells and Chinese takeout trays take up little space and can be tucked here and there between overwintered plants in the Winter Paradise shelves. And the temperatures in the Garage V8 nursery have steadied above freezing by this time to allow some of the overwintered plants in the WP to be moved out to make room. Once the number of growing K-cups reach sufficiency as above they are taking up equivalent space in the WP that can be occupied by webtray/solid trays, and the Chinese take out trays waste space -- filling the 1020 size trays will actually save space because more K-cups fit in same amount of space in the webtray.

It looks like It's time to see if I have same size seedlings enough to fill up a webtray -- they have to be same height.

-- Separated --

Cabbage Chinese, Michihili Ellie

Eggplant, Kamo (kitazawa '15-'16)

Pepper, Giant Marconi - mottled (SIP'15)
Pepper, SuperVar Fish (Jan'15)

Tomato, Wes '14
Tomato, WS.FFS {Whippersnapper x FFSlv} F4 heart 8.16.16 ChLn

TPS, Amarosa {sp?} (meb'15)

...Uppotted to 5oz...

Tomato, Amy Sue (digitS'15) Giant Syrian x Marianna's Peace (F5? F6?)
Tomato, Elser's Brown Derby (itali 2016)
Tomato, Ernie's Plump (meb'16)
Tomato, Mikhalych (tb 2016) -- (2)
Tomato, Sergeant Pepper's (itali'16) -- (2)

Also discovered this one and uppotted in 5 oz --
Tomato, Mikhalych (tb 2016) that is NOT (it is a PL) -- this might be Amy Sue? ...looks very much like others and the two varieties had been separately potted up in one sitting. If there's a K-cup labeled Amy Sue with RL seedling, that would be the corresponding Mikhalych.

...moved PBSB in RMbox to V8... {in terms of handling, the K-cups are easier and require less potting mix -- perennial issue when using soilblocks. Plus considering the seedlings need to be separated out and planted into the soilblocks when smaller, the soilblocks take up space that I can't afford. Added to that the fact that soilblocks can't be left out in the rain while hardening off.... hmm I wanted to revisit soilblocks because they are fantastic tools and grow very healthy seedlings, but this might be a technique better left until I actually have a greenhouse or a coldframe to grow them in. I picture kind that can be opened along the sides into roofed-but-open structure for hardening off to protect them from the rain.}

applestar
Mod

Folks who are expert at spreadsheet data manipulation will probably chuckle at my amateurish delight, but here are a few of the ways I use the functions to keep track of the seed starting progress :D

applestar
Mod

…it's not easy to tell in the photos, but some of the yellowed leaf tomato seedlings have started to green up a bit. A couple of the peppers are still looking a bit critical. Hopefully they will turn around. It's tough to not want to keep trying different things, but I think that would be a mistake. I need to be patient and see if the remedies I already applied will have an effect, or I'll end up killing them with kindness. :roll:

…Maybe this one:

applestar
Mod

Hmmm... the extremely pale pepper seedlings? -- I found aphids on those :evil: I saw a ladybug in the WP shelves yesterday or the day before, but next time I find one somewhere, I will move it to the seedling trays. :twisted:

I only saw a couple of ants in the Winter Paradise area a few days ago -- maybe it was them, but it IS that time of the year -- I'm eradicating massive invasion from the Winter Wonderland -- they moved into one or two of the orchid containers and the Peach Bhut Not on the Cool Gang floor.

Some people don't think it's a good idea to get the seedling foliage wet, but I mist them thoroughly regularly, and aphids "stand on their tippytoes" when you get them wet, lifting their spiricles along their bodies up above the drop of water that cling to them.

That's how I spotted them as "unnatural bumps" on the seedlings. With no Garden Patrol to help out, I used my "sharp-pointed bamboo skewer method" to pluck them off the delicate seed and true leaves. Image

wisconsindead

Hey Applestar,

Do you grow your onions in clusters? What dimensions do you plant for spacing once you take them outdoors?

applestar
Mod

I reorganized and evaluated progress of the seedlings --

In the top photo,

- most of the peppers are now in the two Chinese trays tucked under the t-5 lights where it's warmest

- this also where the newly sprouted and germinated in spoonseedzip are being kept in sandwich clamshells

- The K-cups in Chinese tray in the front need to be uppotted -- all are growing significant roots out of the drainage holes. That one super pale pepper in this tray had two more aphids on it this morning.

- all seedlings uppotted to 5 oz cups will be sent out to Garage V-8. I may skip 5 oz cups and uppot to larger cups if I can make enough room in V-8 by sending some of the overwintered frost-tolerant plants and started the lettuce and asian greens to be hardened off outside (no frost in the forecast for next 10 days after tomorrow anyway)

In the bottom photo,

- The Michihili and broccoli can go out to the Garage V8.

- Consolidated the tomato, eggplant, and tps k-cups in the webtray with plenty of room to spare now for separating multiples and sprouted spoonzips to be planted.

- The K-cups in Chinese tray in the webtray are starting to grow some roots out of the drainage holes so need to stay in the drip tray so as not to dry out too much.

- The 6 sturdy dwarfs in the larger Mocha Mochi ice cream cells are growing significant roots out of the bottom and need to be uppotted.

applestar
Mod

...I was going to keep things on a "sane" level -- notice I didn't start 100+ varieties of tomatoes... but things are getting a bit nutz: again.... :>

applestar
Mod

I prepped these peas for pre-germinating today by soaking in water for 6 hours then pouring out the water. Rinsed again for the night. Planning to sow germinated seeds in plastic egg cartons again -- maybe with a slight modification to last year's method. We will see....

applestar
Mod

applestar
Mod

Ha. I usually show the seedlings -- I've mentioned I eschew the cells and prefer individual containers. You may have noticed how I organize and group them by height. You might remember me mentioning how I play "seedling jenga" to keep them as close to the lights as possible....

Here are some views of the precarious and haphazard way I grow my seedlings :>

applestar
Mod

Here are my Wes seedlings -- as you can see, they should have the narrower RL leaves that are wispy-sh but not as skinny and limp as full wispy like the sausage types or Sgt. Pepper's. Big Cheef Stripes in the back ground and a Dwarf Blazing Beauty on the left Image …hate it when I forget to turn the label to the camera. Have no clue what that one on the right is, but looks like might be another dwarf.

They should also shoot up and be among the taller seedlings.

TPS (true potato seed) Amarosa (meb'15). They are slower to grow at first compared to other solanacea, but will become strong plants similar to tomatoes -- just more sprawling -- and will be planted after last frost.

...trying something new this year...

This looks like my answer to the Pill Bottle Soil Block issues -- I.e. not fitting satisfactorily in the Rice Milk carton and the seedlings needing to be smaller than I feel deserves the amount of space occupied. 14 tubes per rice milk carton.

The root-ball/potting mix slipped out of the Kcup fits right down the tube. Image ...more about this later. :wink:

applestar
Mod

PEA snow XTpole, CAROUBY DE MAUSSANE (Superseeds'15-16)
PEA shelling Xdwarf, TOM THUMB (Superseeds'15-16)

Started on 3/30; Starting to sprout on 4/3 -- 4 days Image

...other egg cartons contain...
Pea snow pole, Shiraz (tbug)
Pea snap dwarf, Ambrosia (Ellie'15)
Pea shelling pole, Mayfair tbug
Pea snap pole, CASCADIA (Superseeds'15-16)
Pea shelling dwarf, Knight (Ellie'14)

pow wow

You're very organized. I need some of that.lol Your seedlings are looking heathy.
Enjoyed reading through your posts applestar.

applestar
Mod

Thanks, pow wow! :D

This is the fun part -- I love starting seeds and watching them grow. :wink:

...I have to say... I usually do pretty well up to this point. It's the next phase when things get a little hairy. :roll: :>

applestar
Mod

Late-but-must-have tomatoes and pepper seeds are speed-and-control-germinated in spoon seedzip of sandDE (“spoonzip method”). Two seeds have germinated in the top-right seedzip :D

F2 seeds of {Dwarf Pink Passion x (Husky Gold x Orange Minsk,dwarf,F2 x Zolotoe Serdste x Orange Minsk,F1)F3}

applestar
Mod

I'm not ready to plant them, but they are ready to be planted :roll:

...these are...
PEA snow XTpole, CAROUBY DE MAUSSANE (Superseeds'15-16)
PEA shelling Xdwarf, TOM THUMB (Superseeds'15-16)

I don't want them to grow through to top opening and unfold their leaves because then it will be a pain to extricate them :?

applestar
Mod

DD helped me to set up the Cabbage Kids Nursery -- I saw a Cabbage White butterfly out and about already. :x

...I'll put the lettuce seedlings in here too for now. It should help them avoid the aphids for the time being...

applestar
Mod

These are starting to sprout, too

LEFT PHOTO:
Shiraz and Ambrosia on the left; Mayfair on the right

RIGHT PHOTO:
Cascadia and Knight

Pea snow pole, Shiraz (tbug)
Mar 30, 2017 Apr 5, 2017 6d

Pea snap dwarf, Ambrosia (Ellie'15)

Pea shelling pole, Mayfair (tbug)

Pea snap pole, CASCADIA (Superseeds'15-16)

Pea shelling dwarf, Knight (Ellie'14)

applestar
Mod

Uppotted another bunch of indeterminate tomato seedlings in 14 paper tube in Rice milk carton. Only since 4/2 but the first one went through explosive growth. Every year, I think that the K-cup seedlings are like seeds themselves and happily grow into whatever larger containers I put them in.

Here's a comparison of the two. The three varieties you can see best in the left photo are antho (purple) stemmed Sgt. Pepper's and the two Marz Pulcent.

It will be tricky to extricate the tubes of leaf interlocked seedlings later, but I can cut the sides of the rice milk box open for easier access.

Compared to these, the seedlings that have been out in the cooler garage V8 temperatures for longer are darker and toughened up more. The Pill Bottle Soil Blocks are approximately same size as the paper tubes, small white cups are 3 oz, and the larger clear cups with my oldest dwarf varieties are 9 oz.

I have something odd going on with the Delicious seedlings -- one of them is a PL (potato leaf). Maybe an accidental cross? The eggplant Hari is in a 5 oz cup.

... I just brought these out to the V8 Nursery today as well -- so the foliage is soft and lighter green like the new rice milk group.

applestar
Mod

Discoveries among the tomato seedlings --

Spotted this bit of variegation starting already on the first set true leaves -- this is my Whippersnapper x Faelan's First Snow F4 (WS.FFS.F4) from a heart-shaped pink saladette last year. Variegation showing this early should mean we could expect a pretty good show in the next several sets of leaves while the temperatures are cool to moderate :D

Not sure why these and ONLY these two Dwarf Chocolate Lightning seedlings have these lighter colored new leaves.
...according to my notes, I have 5 of these -- 2 more in 9oz cups which are in the Garage V8 and 1 more KCup -- somewhere... I'll have to go find them tomorrow and see if they look the same.

-- just realized the 9 oz Dwf Chocolate Lightning is in the front in the pic I posted yesterday, and it looks all green. Maybe these two are in that faulty mixture I managed to make. I'll repot them in a fresh mix tomorrow and hope for the best.

...rest of the tray...

applestar
Mod

Image Newest babies to join my expanding citrus family collection -- a friend sent me a fully ripe key lime fruit from her tree when I mentioned wanting to try growing from seeds and lamented that I couldn't find any in the stores and the produce guy said maybe in the summer time.

After keeping the fruit -intact- in refrigerated storage, I extracted and sowed the precious seeds on March 8th in two different conditions for insurance. I usually tell people it takes about 4 weeks or a month... these were right on the money Image

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

How do you keep track of it all? How do you have enough room when setting stuff out? :eek: :wink: I'm in awe! I have maybe one tenth the variety of stuff that you have, but invariably I still get stuff mixed up!

Seems like every year some of my tomato seedlings get that yellowing too while in the little pots. Seems like Rutgers are most prone to that for me. They always seem to get over it when uppotting and setting out.

applestar
Mod

I use a spreadsheet and a tablet. :D
I used to input the numbers in an app on my cellphone then upload, etc. ...then I got an iPad, then iPad Air, now I have iPad Pro. (Easier on the eyes :wink: )

Tablet is handy. You can plug in the data as you work so you don't lose track. To me it's not as tedious as taking inventory of everything after the fact, and real-time data entry means no unexpected reality messing up carefully made pre-activity plans. No erasing or scratching out mistakes written in pencil or pen....

...I ignore the space and practicality issues. In this phase, it's all about whether I can grow them at all. I really enjoy seeing them grow from the ittybitty seeds, and seeing the variations even in the seedlings stage. They are all precious and I am rolling my eyes at the already ridiculously large numbers while lamenting that some of the coveted varieties haven't sprouted.

There are still things that can happen. I'll regret it if I don't grow extras and back-ups, I like having extras to give away, and I just have to deal with the excess if I grow more than enough and they all survive. Also, this way, I will have a selection of plants to choose from and the healthiest to plant out.

applestar
Mod

In addition to the Key Lime seeds that sprouted, it turned out that more things have been sprouting just in the last couple of days. Isn't it odd? I wonder what the signal was?

Here I have Japanese Maple seedlings that sprouted. Look at the label -- I put them in these zip bags of media to cold stratefy in fall of 2015. Last spring, there was nothing going on and I forgot about them. Left in the garage for the entire last season, I found them while rummaging around my garden stuff earlier in the winter, and plunked the container on the surface of one of the fig containers. Just a while ago, I was watering the V8 Nursery plants and looked down :o

I removed the cover of the container and opened the zip bags and gave them a bit of water, then put them under the V8 lights. Maybe some of them will survive?

The photo on the right is the pot of sprouted spicebush seeds (thanks !potatoes! :-() ) I took them out of the fridge stratification and had them under the lights. I peeked under the condiment lid which had been flat on the surface of the potting mix and discovered these little sprouts. :()

applestar
Mod

Repotted, separated, and Uppotted all the yellowed peppers, eggplants, and tomatoes. The mix was wet and stinky/anaerobic. Roots were stunted. Also separated many of the community started Kcups.

Here are the biggest yellowed peppers (and eggplants) which were planted in the PTinRM#3

TOP 3 --Paddymc's cross Steelhead (Itali'15 Plant 2 -- GWR with red core) -- seeds were from last year.

BOTTOM 7 -- Raymondo's Australian Mist -- supposed to be PL but only 2 out of 10 seedlings were PL, remaining 8 were RL or rounded RL.... :?

applestar
Mod

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Your seedlings are beautiful and amazing because there are so many. I used to start that many seeds, but that was because I donated half of them to the plant sale. I never quite understand where you put everything! :shock:

But it is the middle of April! What do you have in the ground! :lol:

applestar
Mod

Sad to say not much except the "perma" plants and garlic (which are doing fantastic, btw). Don't know if it's the allergies but have not been able to gather up enough energy. I missed the window and the weeds have taken off, so it's going to be even harder to get the garden beds ready. VG beds need the bamboo trellis system rebuilt, and the pallet sided beds sank down by half and need to be refilled. The Spiral Garden needs compost and the spiral swale path needs to be re-dug. SFH and SFHX beds are the only ones I've mapped with preliminary planting plans so far....

Plenty of seedlings in the house, some tomatoes could be planted out if weather would cooperate and settle down. A whole bunch of them need to be uppotted. Actually trying my best to keep up the seedling care so as not to lose them -- last year mites devastated my tomato and pepper seedlings after all that early seed starting stage work, so really hoping to get these babies to stay healthy for planting, but nearly let them dry out to wilting a couple of times already.

I know I was doing a lot more by this time last year, so kind of bummin' :|

Yesterday and a couple of days ago, transplanted "token" lettuce starts and some of the plastic egg box peas -- just a tiny patch about 2 ft by 3 ft and was all out of breath. Lost a bunch of the pea seedlings due to that one day when we had frost, but have a late started batch in the house starting to grab at Indoor plants with first tendrils that need to be planted.

Started more lettuce, chard, ... still have a bunch of other stuff that should have been started already like basils and marigolds. It's time to start corn and rice soon... may have missed the window to plant barley...... still have the seed potatoes and onion sets in the house by the back door and my own onion seedlings are on the picnic table waiting to be planted.

Some of the container plants/trees like citrus and figs can be moved out already... but are still inside. :roll:

... I love reading about what you and others have started already in the garden -- it helps to inspire me to get a-move-on. :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So sorry you haven't been feeling well. I understand the frustration of feeling like the season is moving on and you can't keep up.

I think we all need more gardening buddies! Things go so much faster when you have other people helping. Have 1-2 people come by and you could get everything up to speed in your garden in one day. Then the next time you all go to someone else's house.

In Cincinnati, I had a couple of friends who were partly disabled and couldn't do much in their gardens any more that I used to help out, once or twice a season to get the heavy work done. That wasn't a trade off thing, since they couldn't reciprocate the same way. But they would sit with me and chat and direct and feed me lunch, while I put in a day of work. I have looked around here for people who would like that, but haven't turned up any yet. I'd rather do it for friends, not strangers.

applestar
Mod

Thanks, rainbowgardener -- I appreciate your Image

applestar
Mod

...OK I'm starting to feel overwhelmed... :| Yesss, they ALL need to be uppotted. :roll:

-- I've heard of mushrooms starting to grow in seedling containers, but this is the first time it happened to me. Yeah, this looks a bit alarming. :shock:

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”