knobcreekcabin
Newly Registered

Companion Planting Spacing

Hello everyone,

This weekend I was eager to get out in the garden and planted two rows of onion sets that are spaced 15" apart.
I would like to use up all of my space available in the garden this year and know that carrots are a good companion to onions. However, I am cautious of overcrowding the onion sets that are already in the ground.
I haven't decided on a particular variety of carrots, or know if that would matter in this situation...
What are you guys thoughts? Do I have enough room to squeeze in some carrots?

Thanks,
D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

15" between the rows? Probably could put a row of carrots in there, especially if it is a smaller variety and the onions have a head start before you plant the carrots (so they get a good start before carrot tops get bushy and might shade them). Onion family plants are supposed to be protective for carrots, mask their scent to make it harder for carrot flies and other pests to find them.

knobcreekcabin
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it turns out!

Do you have any experience with pelleted seeds? I don't know if I will be able find them locally but I didn't know if it would be worth the trouble to order online?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

For carrots? All most all carrot seed is pelleted. It is kind of a pain. It means every where you plant "one" seed, you get a whole clump of little seedlings and have to do a lot of thinning. If you can find carrot seed that is still single seeds, grab it! They usually don't sell it that way, because the carrot seed is so fine.

knobcreekcabin
Newly Registered

Thank you! I'll post some pictures once I start seeing some action. :lol:

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”