Baileyrose555
Newly Registered

Potted Blue Lake Bean Plant - Leaves Laying Down Vertical

:cry: this is my first year trying container gardening. I've started in order to prepare organic fresh produce for my children. Most concerned issue I have is with my blue lake bush bean plant. Its about 3 weeks post germination sitting at about 11" tall. All has been well and steady until today, all my leaves have went from horizontal to now laying down vertically. They are not wilted or discolored. The plant is in a 1gallon pot. I have not fertilized since transplanting sprout from rapid rooter to the pot. Any suggestions?

imafan26
Mod

All plants in pots need fertilizer.
Beans are not the easiest things to transplant but it can be done. They will lie down from transplant shock for a day and if all is well they should come back up the next day.
They should be outdoors or get at least 6 hours of sun and regular water. I grow herbs in gallons but beans are in the ground or in a very large pot with a trellis.

Baileyrose555
Newly Registered

Transplant was about 2 weeks ago. All has been well. They now are back to laying horizontally so maybe it was too heavy of a watering the day before. I'm unsure of what fertilizers to use because I have such an aray of vegetables going):

applestar
Mod

If the leaves were hanging down, I would guess insufficient watering. But are you saying the entire plant flopped over? Because bush beans tend to do that unless they are growing in absolute full sun... and even then, they flop over once the weight of the bean pods start weighing them down.

11 inches... how tall a seedling is is not always an indication of good growth since it could be due to insufficient light and spindly growth. Also, how many seeds did you sow per 1 gallon pot? I think there should be no more than 2 max. 1 each would be better. ...oh wait, you said you transplanted --- I think it's better to SOW beans where they are to grow. Although I do sometimes pre-germinate beans to ensure growth from every bean seed, I sow the just germinated seeds as soon as root tip appears.

Also, I would use s balanced fertilizer since beans are fruiting plants. Did you use rhizobium inoculant for beans?

Baileyrose555
Newly Registered

Plant has since perked up and I actually think it is starting to flower. It wasn't a complete transplant, I showed a single seed into a rapid rooter in a germination chamber and planted the entire thing into an 8" pot with intentions of moving to a 12" before flower if roots needed(which I assumed they would) just to save space while building my new garden closet, but 3 days ago I went to assess the root structure and was surprised that it is only about 2x2" in area so I left it alone and was planning to check it back out tomorrow for transplant and see it seems to be possibly flowering? My journal marks that it actually sprouted on February 16th. Not much folage as you see, plant is still small but I wouldn't say spindley. With such a lack of root system is this a bad thing? Also I water from the bottom of the pot to encourage a deeper root growth, which doesn't seem to be working because I've been under the impression that they should have a decently large root system by the time they are ready to fruit.
Attachments
Snapchat-2075248982.jpg
Snapchat-224705432.jpg
Snapchat-296220943.jpg

Baileyrose555
Newly Registered

Well new issue has risen...All has been well but today I noticed an older leaf has what looks like a bleach spot. No residue or visible molds, leaf feels normal to the touch but it is on the back side of the plant that doesn't get as much light. Please help

applestar
Mod

Hm...could it be fungal disease like powdery mildew? A picture might help.

Baileyrose555
Newly Registered

Sorry thought I had uploaded one! No residue or mold. Maybe it's not something I would have the eye to see. Could it be lack of light on that side?
Attachments
Snapchat-165487115.jpg

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”