sharioni
Newly Registered

Slug Barrier Advice Please

I am in the process of designing a product that will prevent slugs and snails from damaging plants and am trying to set a price point for it.
My husband thinks that £11.95 per barrier would be about right, but I`m not so sure.
May I ask how much you would be prepared to pay for such a product and would you buy one.

It should last many years and can be used in soil or on solid bases

Thank you

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Is it a single use product like coffee grounds or a reusable product like copper strips?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

and does one barrier strip protect one plant? Or how much area? 12 pounds = $15 US = way too much, if it protects one plant.

imafan26
Mod

It would be worth it if it could keep snails and slugs out of a garden for a season, but if it has to be reapplied often, then it would be to expensive to use.

A 20 lb bag of sluggo cost me $58. I have to put down a teaspoon per square yard every two weeks for at least a year to get any kind of control, not eradication. It needs to be kept up for at least two years without seeing any slugs or snails to call it a cure. It hasn't happened yet. If snails can be eradicated in an area, perimeter treatments need to be continued to keep more from migrating in.

I could get a hen, the feral chickens at the garden keep snail and slug populations down so well that snails are rare. However, chickens will also eat all the seedlings and lettuce and not to mention poop everywhere they go if allowed free range.

Your invention has to be effective have a good cost benefit ratio to be worth the price.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Sharioni,

Welcome to the forum.

I am a little confused. Are you talking about a physical barrier? If so what is the area covered? Is it a barrier strip or a mat?

I do not think that I would pay for a slug barrier when I have great success using partially buried pans of beer scattered in the garden and crushed egg shell barriers around plants.

Good luck with your venture.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hi Elizabeth, welcome back! Haven't seen you here for months. Were you aware that yesterday, when you made a number of posts after your absence, was the anniversary of when you first joined here four years ago?

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

RBG,

Thanks for the welcome back. I missed you Guys and Gals.

I did not realize that yesterday was the anniversary of my joining this forum. Thanks for pointing that out.

:D

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”