ch1719
Newly Registered

Fir tree problem

Hello,

I have a few fir trees in various places in my yard. The last few years I had no problems, but just a few weeks ago I noticed them starting to turn color (photos attached). The needles are dying off. Is this some sort of disease?
Attachments
IMG_3439.JPG
IMG_3438.JPG
IMG_3440.JPG

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Your location would be most helpful. There are some areas where disease and pests are a problem. And proper identification of your tree helps too.

It looks to me like you have a white pine. Are the needles in groups of 3 or 5? It looks like 5 to me but I may be seeing things.

Is there any damage to the trunk at the base? Are the branches showing signs of damage or insect infestation?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

It takes a jewelers loop to see mites or other tiny beasties that can afflict pine. Dormant oil is the usual intervention.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

But yes, this is not normal and is very likely a sign of either a disease or a pest like the mites Tom mentioned.

applestar
Mod

FWIW -- the one in trouble which may be a pine as ID'd above looks like it's growing between two fir trees.

It's already pushing into the larger fir tree on the left and will deform its symmetry if left unattended.

If what you want are conical trees, you may want to just go ahead and cut this one down to give the others more room.

...note that Christmas trees -- if thats is the look you are going for -- are in those perfect conical shapes because they are pruned into shape as they grow while at the tree farm...

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”