applestar
Mod

Strappy rosette leaves, ginger like non-descript flowers

I've been meaning to ask -- does anyone recognize this plant?
My mom had it in a pot. It might have been a gift plant. I didn't know if it was winter hardy but wasnt high value so left it nearly dried out in garage last winter where temp dropped to low 20's and it survived staying evergreen.

I I put it outside after last frost in semi-shade -- I thought it might be a daylily but it sent up a flowerstalk kind of like ginger sometime late spring or early summer, but nothing fancy. I thought I took a photo but cant find it :roll:

It looks like this now --

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Check out Corn Plant (common name). It's in with the 'tropicals' in the garden centers, and could be what you have.

applestar
Mod

Hmm -- thanks -- I'm familiar with corn plant as house plants and office plants -- this one doesn't have a stalk. Not obvious due to angle of photo, but it grows directly in a rosette from the ground. The flowerstalk is not one I would associate woth corn plant either (never seen one bloom)....

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Have you repotted this? Is it a bulb? Hope you find that bloom pic!

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

applestar
Mod

@Purpleinopp, I will take a peek before bringing it inside. I think I must have repotted it before, but I don't recall if there were any bulbs.
@ButterflyLady, those leaves look very similar don't they? I will look into it further.... this didn't bloom as spectacularly as all that, but it might have been my lack of care.

Thanks for the suggestions :D

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Mine looked terrible too. When they don't get enough of the necessary nutrients they don't flower well. Although I won't take the blame for mine looking terrible. They were new to me this year and not very large when I got them.

Return to “Plant Identification”