jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Plums

So, what to do with a whole 5 gallon bucket full of plums? .... and there is more on the tree.

applestar
Mod

My dad used to make plum liquor -- plums, sugar, and vodka, rum, or ...one other I can't remember made from sweet potatoes. We had a tasting party and decided the one made with rum was best.

When my girls were little, I layered the plums with sugar until all the liquid came out of the plums, but before the stuff started to ferment. The plums would shrivel up into prune-like form. We made beverage from the syrup (with water or sparkling/carbonated water) and they ate the "prunes" like candy. I wanted to make jelly, but the girls drank up all the syrup :lol:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I filled the biggest kettle I have and boiled them, then strained off the juice. Now I have 8 quart jars of plum juice.

Perhaps I should split some in half and take out the stone and then dry them in the dehydrator? Anyone tried that?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Went out and picked another big bucketful of plums, cooked them down and strained them to get the juice. Bottled juice, this time in pint jars. I now have 21 pints of plum juice.

applestar
Mod

Thats going to be SO good! And in case anyone's wondering, juice from fresh plums is nothing like prune juice.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”