Susan W
Greener Thumb

Spicebush

Anyone growing the spicebush shrub? As it is male or female, need 1 of each for female to have the red berries. It looks like both will bloom in spring. Looking for comments, suggestions etc.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Where I used to live I had two spicebushes. I never knew whether they were M or F, but they never bloomed at all. I think it was too shady for them. Except for very early in spring before the big trees leafed out, they didn't get any direct sun.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I had 2, now down to one. I don't know if they were male or female. Mom and I got 5 baby shrubs a few years back and we split them between us.

The one that died this year was girdled at the base by something, probably mice or voles. Hubby was mulching around it and piled the mulch up against the trunk. Not good. It was the larger, prettier one. Oh well. The Spicebush swallowtail caterpillars only need the leaves, not the berries.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks for comments. Yes, am aware of the spicebush swallowtail host plant. I am interested for that and from doing a net-check seems to be relatively free of the cooties (mildew, fungus, pests etc). Side note, here in the mid-south, if a plant is prone to whatever cooties, we will have it!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”