bailey5774
Newly Registered

new to growing tomatoes/ transplanting

Hi I'm in New England area and I'm trying for the first time to grow beef steak tomatoes and roma tomatoes in containers. I was wondering if someone could tell me how to transplant them? Do I need to seperate the ones that share a little cup? I'm not sure what leaves I need to weed out? I have started them with plantation starting mix. I have not put anything else in them as of right now except water. I need someone to tell me exactly what I need to do. Thanks very much for everyones help!! :)

I also need help putting pictures up on my posts. Thanks.

sktrpam
Newly Registered

Hi, I'm growing tomatoes for the first time myself, also in containers. I started from seed, when the had 4 true leaves, I moved to a little bit larger container, maybe 4 inch pot size. Then when they were approaching several inches tall, I moved to permanent home of 5 gallon paint buckets, inserted stakes and a plastic water bottle with both ends cut off (tube like for watering). They seem to be doing well. Not huge yet, but getting there.

sktrpam
Newly Registered

I put one plant in each pot. I selected the strongest looking.

bailey5774
Newly Registered

sktrpam,

What type of soil or seed starter mix did you use? I used plantation seed starter but I wasn't sure what to use when I transplant everything? Also do you know how to upload pictures in the comment boxes?? Thanks

CharlieK

No help on the plants but on the pictures, I recommend you go to https://www.photobucket.com and start an account. It is free. The instructions are pretty easy and straightforward to upload photos from your computer to Photobucket. Then you can link to them or use the individual picture address and put it between these tags:

[img].......[/img]

Good luck!

sktrpam
Newly Registered

I used mostly potting mix, a bit of potting soil to stretch. I just purchased seed starter kits at Home Depot. When did you start your seedlings?

bailey5774
Newly Registered

I started all my seeds sometime in April towards the middle of the month. I'm also growing chillie peppers, chives, basil, 2 types of parsley and some other stuff. they are all in little cups the size of the dixie cups you see in bathrooms. Is plantation seed starting mix ok to keep useing along with a little mirico grow potting soil when transplanting?? What else should I be putting in them or will they be ok with just a little plant food once in a while? Thanks I will upload pictures later tonight.

bailey5774
Newly Registered

I just transplanted 4 of my roma tomato plants because they were touchinng the lid of the green house box I had them in. It seems as though they are dieing and I don't know why. the leaves are all shrivled up. I don't know what I did wrong. I made sure to keep all the roots from breaking and I used the same plantation mix that they were in and just put them in the little dixie cups. Please someone help me!!! Thanks

bailey5774
Newly Registered

my plant pictures I was telling you about. Please look and tell me what's going on with them??? Thanks

https://s292.photobucket.com/albums/mm38/bailey5774/plants/

doccat5
Green Thumb

Your plants look fine. I'm not sure what your last frost date is but you could transplant them one more time to a deeper container. Go all the way up to the top 2 true leaves. It will make stronger stems and healthier plants. Let them get a bit more growth and then start hardening them off before planting in your garden. Use the same method, I plant mine on their side up to the first 2 true leaves. The stem is all root on a tomato, so makes the plant much stronger. This site has some excellent information on how to harden off your seedlings ;)

[url]https://www.veggiegardeningtips.com/hardening-off-seedlings/[/url]

JPlovesflowers

Bailey,
Don't be too concerned about doing everything right. Tomato plants are pretty hard to mess up. You should be able to grow them in just about any potting soil mix you buy, and the advice about planting them as far up the stem as possible is excellent. I planted a grape tomato today and the directions said to plant 80% of the stem. Congrats on the success of starting the seeds. I've never been patient enough to have much success. I can get just about anything to grow outside, but the stuff you have to do indoors is a mystery to me. I'm sure you'll have awesome tomatoes before you know it and you'll be amazed at how much fun you'll have. Be careful, you may get addicted to this gardening thing like the rest of us :lol:
JP

Return to “Container Gardening Forum”