BeefsteakBob
Newly Registered

Anybody growing hydroponically?

I've been growing veggies in the dirt for 40 years and I aways look forward to spring time when I can drag out the rototiller and get my seedlings in the ground. Last year I built a rain barrel collection system with the intention of installing drip irrigation. While in the process of researching the subject I crossed paths with hydroponic grow systems and decided that I would try some simple in door grows. Well, I'm hooked. Grew some great lettuce and monster basil and was even able to grow some small tomatoes indoors.
20151129_141002.jpg
IMG_20160630_074416.jpg
20160117_093257.jpg
But when it comes to tomatoes and other fruiting varieties nothing can replace natural sun light. So I got myself a small Harbor Freight greenhouse and moved the operation outdoors.
IMG_20160731_072503.jpg
IMG_20160619_075315.jpg
IMG_20160729_182312.jpg
IMG_20160812_071210.jpg
IMG_20160812_071053.jpg
This is just a simple deep water culture system with aeration and you can see the results.

Anybody else doing this?

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Interesting set-up, and the results look amazing. I'm curious as to why you wanted to go this route? I've always thought of hydroponics as a way to still garden when growing in the dirt isn't an option for one reason or another...

RadRob

I use the dutch bucket and kratky methods and love it, it's addicting and easy.

BeefsteakBob
Newly Registered

JayPoc wrote:Interesting set-up, and the results look amazing. I'm curious as to why you wanted to go this route? I've always thought of hydroponics as a way to still garden when growing in the dirt isn't an option for one reason or another...
Oh, I still grow in the dirt......
IMG_0116.JPG
20140726_100437.jpg
20140808_175449.jpg

I saw hydroponics as a way to satisfy my need to grow stuff in the winter time and that's why I got involved. Its still a bit of work getting it set up....but the time I would spend pulling weeds I spend mixing nutients. The 6X8 greenhouse is now too small so I just bought the HF 10X12 greenhouse and hope to replace the 6X8 as soon as the crop inside is done. The plan going forward is to dedicate the soil to the squash and mellons and the GH to the tomatoes, peppers, and some greens. I'll grow Katky lettuce and basil inside during the winter.

BeefsteakBob
Newly Registered

RadRob wrote:I use the dutch bucket and kratky methods and love it, it's addicting and easy.
I've considered a dutch bucket system but my initial intention was (and is) to keep it as simple and energy efficient as possible which is why I found the DWC method appealing. The only energy required is the electricity to run the air injection pump and the only grow medium needed is the amount needed to fill a 4" net cup. The buckets are actually set up to accommodate a DB system if I ever decide to go that route. Considering the size of the fruit on these plants I'll probably stick with it for a while. I do use the Kratky system for lettuce and basil. I plan to add an airstone to see if that makes a difference.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Nice set-up, Bob! I figured that you did this due to the cold, and you found that you have to grow the tomatoes in the greenhouse, due to the cold, though I don't know where you are in NE. A friend in N Vermont found that she had to grow tom's, peppers, and eggplants in a small greenhouse, due to the cold, and short season.

I only grow hydroponics in my basement in the off-season, to grow herbs, and maybe some greens.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”