mach1cj

Distorted Tomatoes

Hi, I planted several varieties of tomato's this year and some of the them look pretty good and then the next row has ber. The next row are all distorted on the bottom. All were planted the same time, in the same area and all received 3-4 apps. of Tomato Tone. (never tried it before). All plants were watered weekly. We have had an usually HOT summer here in Northern Ohio, so I'm thinking that might have something to do with it. Also, some of the tomatoes are kinda woody or pithy inside, but some are fine. Had high hopes for a bumper crop as my wife like to can. Any thoughts?
Attachments
IMG_2437.JPG
IMG_2436.JPG

tomc
Super Green Thumb

BER (ber) Blossom End Rot, is has two competeing causes. 1. irregular watering, 2. an inability of plant to take up adequate amounts of potasium. I put on things rich in calcium and potasium even though I have been told for years, it does not work.

For me, not growing roma tomatoes did more to stop BER in my garden, than any addition did. Pick a strawberry shaped tomato or cows-horn instead (cows-tit or gilbertie), to replace Roma's.

Cool weather when your tomato is still tiny, has a lot to do with BER. A couple good thunderstorms and your first set of fruit can look pretty sad.

Lastly the huge blossom scar is something many tomatoes do on first fruit-set. I might not save seed from those tomatoes, but they eat just fine.

applestar
Mod

But I don't think this one is BER -- The odd appearance is created by fused blossoms -- it looks like at least three, possibly 4th blossom in the center, were fused together -- you may have noticed the sunflower like giant blossom this fruit originated from. Underneath, you can see where the co-joined fruits tried to merge together... and failed... leaving odd gaps her and there and scars where they fused.

These cavities can become hiding places for bugs as well as fungal spores and especially in humid conditions can become a source of spoilage.

Also, typically, the fused blossoms did not mature at the same time so that the earliest blossom to be pollinated will develop a few days ahead of the latest pollinated, resulting in uneven ripening and sometimes spoilage if you wait for the entire lumpy fruit to ripen 100%.... But it looks like you picked this one before they had a chance to blush, so I'm not sure if you will see it ripen.

FWIW -- the candidate fruits for those official Giant Tomato contest that are held world-wide are usually varieties that have been selected for this kind of fused mega blossoms -- those can be as many as 8-10 fruits fused together.

What variety is this?

mach1cj

It was a Super Beefsteak.

applestar
Mod

OK so it might have been selected for tendency to form mega blossoms. Probably more for doubles which creates the boat-shaped giants that tend to delight gardeners.

When multiple fruits get mashed together though, and especially when weather conditions, nutrients, and temperatures promote pithy white core, the multiple cores don't run along a single tidy central column, and doubles will have something like a blade-shaped core, and 3 and 4 megas will have pithy core running every which way, necessitating a creative carving project before serving. These are not suited for pretty sandwich slices at all but better for making salsas and sauces or salads.

xtgold
Cool Member

heat problem when the blossom was pollinated.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”