raspberryrush

Peas strangled by net?

IMG_2941.JPG
It looks like my peas are being strangled by the netting. Should I just leave it or would you try to cut the net a bit to get them free? I worry cutting will bother them but they really do look crammed in there.

Also I didn't take a picture of this but I planted my bush beans too close together (maybe about an inch and a half apart). They're on the other side of the trellis and they're bunched in together... should I think them? I think they look happy but they definitely could be bigger, other ones that have more room have definitely grown bigger...

Thanks for your help
Attachments
IMG_2942.JPG

applestar
Mod

I think you've underestimated the height of these peas. What variety is it? Even most of the short/bush varieties will grow to 28-36 inches. Some grow as tall as 6-7 ft.

They are not succeeding in growing through the net. What are you protecting them from? Pretty soon, you won't be able to get in to harvest the peas since the tendrils will be holding onto them and the hollow vine stems are easily bent and kinked.

raspberryrush

Oh no! The package says Mr Fothergill's Lincoln Homesteader. I just googled them and they grow 30 inches tall :( We will maybe try to cut the excess netting and leave what they are heavily attached to. Oops. They do have quite a lot of pods though so I think we'll still get a decent harvest. Thank you applestar

And we put the net up originally because we thought birds were eating them

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”