rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

question for people who make jelly

I have made lots of different jellies: green basil, purple basil, redbud flower, wisteria, lilac, sweet and hot pepper jelly, and others.

I find that they all taste similar - sweet from all the sugar and tart and fruity from the fruit pectin. Not bad, but the fruit pectin taste tends to overwhelm the taste of what I started with, especially for the more delicate flavors.

Is there something else I can use for jelling them that doesn't have so much of its own flavor?

thanks so much! :)

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Have you tried the liquid pectins?

I have an orange, fig, and honey recipe that I just cook down without pectin, and it sets well. It's a whole fruit jam though, not a jelly.

I tend to prefer the liquid pectins vs the powders, because I feel like I can taste the pectin with powders, and I don't like it as much.

I've tried on 2 occasions to make apple jelly with peels and cores, without jelling success... I was doing this in the hopes for a less tart base for mild jellies like basil, honeysuckle flower, and kudzu flower jellies.

I'm no help...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I have tried the liquid pectin in past. Hasn't always been reliable in jelling, but I may give it a try again.

In the meantime, I did some more digging around on line and may have found my answer:

https://www.pomonapectin.com/

Pomona's Universal Pectin - It uses calcium for jelling and says it can be used with a lot less sweetener and alternative sweeteners like stevia and honey. Because you are using less sweetener, the other flavors come through better and because it isn't a fruit pectin, it doesn't add so much of its own flavor. Or so they say!!

I have ordered some, so I will keep people posted!! Anyone who has used this, I'd be glad to hear from you, or any other suggestions!

I know I can do jams without pectin and I have. But I like my herb jellies and flower jellies .... I did find some recipes for pepper jellies without pectin.
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

So glad you posted this rainbowgardener as I too make some of my own jellies. I really didn't like the aftertaste of some of the powdered pectins and have been using a liquid pectin that is called "Certo" that comes in 2 packets, each 3 oz. worth. When I make my fig preserves, I never use any pectin, just let the figs cook with sugar and lemon slices until the syrup thickens and then I can it and put it in a hot water bath.

I do need to use the Certo when I make my pepper jellies since they are very wet jellies until they set with the aid of the liquid pectin. I did, however, find I needed to use a bit more than recommended to get a proper set in the jars. If I used the prescribed amount, it was a tad too viscous and if I used too much, it came out more like jello, and that was not appealing to me. I like it firmed up, but easily spreadable.

Please keep us posted on how this new product works for you. I just may have to give it a try.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I have found it gives a "hard" set! Every time I make pepper jelly with the liquid, according to pkg. directions, it sets too hard...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So I got my Pomona pectin and gave it a try. I like it! It comes with the calcium for jelling separately from the pectin. Mix the calcium with water and add to wet ingredients, mix the pectin in with dry.

I made the same basil jelly recipe I have been using, but I made it with three cups of sugar, instead of four (the recipe called for five! but I've been making it with four), because that was part of the point of this pectin is you don't have to use so much sugar (and you can use honey or other sweeteners).

Worked like a charm, seemed easier, set up nicely but not too hard. And I did a direct taste comparison, basil jelly with fruit pectin vs basil jelly with the Pomona pectin. It wasn't a huge difference, but the Pomona clearly won. The different pectin and the less sugar made the basil flavor come through better.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:So I got my Pomona pectin and gave it a try. I like it! It comes with the calcium for jelling separately from the pectin. Mix the calcium with water and add to wet ingredients, mix the pectin in with dry.

I made the same basil jelly recipe I have been using, but I made it with three cups of sugar, instead of four (the recipe called for five! but I've been making it with four), because that was part of the point of this pectin is you don't have to use so much sugar (and you can use honey or other sweeteners).

Worked like a charm, seemed easier, set up nicely but not too hard. And I did a direct taste comparison, basil jelly with fruit pectin vs basil jelly with the Pomona pectin. It wasn't a huge difference, but the Pomona clearly won. The different pectin and the less sugar made the basil flavor come through better.
I've been waiting for your review and it sounds like a winner. I'll look into ordering some because I know I haven't seen it in stores in my area that I shop in. I'm assuming you got this on-line since one of your posts listed a website. Anyway, thanks again and I'll be sure to get some to try out for myself. I have tons of habanero peppers coming in right now and this will go to good use in making my pepper jelly.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”