Sootylfc
Newly Registered

Lawn Care advice on brown patches around lawn

Looking for some advise over my lawn.
My lawn is just over a year old and was wondering if I need to carry out some treatment on it.
There are many brown patches around the lawn.
Lawn is watered regular and cut normally on the highest setting.
The grass is normally in the sun until about 3pm.

Thanks
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

webmaster
Site Admin

Do you have pets?

Sootylfc
Newly Registered

No Pets

Sootylfc
Newly Registered

Some updated pictures after cutting the grass today
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

applestar
Mod

Wow looks like a piece of solid carpet. But I do see the oddly patterned dark green vs lighter areas. ( these variations would be less noticeable if there were other things -- objects and plants -- to distract the eyes, I think....)

To me they almost look like they might be following drainage patterns, and more heavily fertilized areas vs less fertilized or maybe water logged areas... Or maybe less watered. Have you checked moisture levels? Any puddling and drainage issues?

I was intrigued that you said this is 1 yr old. New construction? Seeded or sod? Do you know how the ground underneath was prepared? And were all the amendments evenly spread?

imafan26
Mod

What kind of grass is it?

In summer some grasses go dormant and do turn yellow unless you increase watering significantly
Summer is also peak time for the lawn eating grubs of moths.
https://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7476.html

Fast growing grasses that are soft and pretty usually are not very pest resistant
zoysia, centipede grass and St. Augustine are less desirable to bugs than bermuda..
You would have to ask the northerners about northern grasses.

Sootylfc
Newly Registered

This time last week I added feed and weed to the lawn.

I have cut the lawn today and this is the result.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

dougbthom

Is your mower cutting evenly? How often do you sharpen your mower blade? I have found that replacing the mower blade each year works best as sharpening the blade will start to show uneven cutting. The photos look as though it could be uneven spreading of fertilizer. Make sure you fertilize in both directions to be sure you get even distribution of fertilizer.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I once lived where the soil was terrible grass grew better in some places than others. I was glad the grass would not grow I did not have to mow it but my wife wanted it to look nice. After screwing with it for 2 years I finally learned how to fix it. I got 2 empty 5 gallon buckets and picked up good dirt out in the country to bring home. I sprinkled the good soil in the places that would not grow grass. The good soil was about 1/4" deep just enough to cover up new grass seed. I kept it wet for several weeks once the new grass was growing it was fine.

webmaster
Site Admin

Picking up "country" soil can be problematic. Firstly there are laws prohibiting the removal of objects from state and federal lands. Secondly although the soil might be fertile there could still be various wildflower seeds (aka weeds) hidden in the soil. In some places there could actually be poison ivy and poison oak hiding in there.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

If you go to your cousins farm and get some top soil from his field it will be better soil. More better. Less worser. More gooder.

Return to “Lawn Care”