pluto1
Newly Registered

What is this growing in my container?

Hello!
So a little background on this container, I attempted to grow munstead lavender from seed, I followed directions for a cold start, and then planted the seeds a couple months ago. This plant is the only thing that is growing, and when compared to pictures of other lavender seedlings, this just doesn't match up.

I'm hoping someone has seen this thing before, and can maybe give me an idea of what it could be? Is it just a weed from the potting soil? Or did a seed blow in on the wind?

Thanks for the help! If you need more details just ask, I'll do the best I can to answer them!

P.S. Zone 8b Northwest Florida
Attachments
IMG_20160619_110225.jpg
IMG_20160619_105149.jpg

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Definitely not lavender! Some weed, I don't know what. Weeds are ubiquitous!

Lavender is not easy from seed. I have done it, but only indoors, under lights, on a heat mat, with perfect conditions. And once sprouted, they grow VERY slowly. I would plant lavender seed around the beginning of February. They take two or three weeks to germinate. By the end of the growing season (being in cold winter country, where the cold shuts its growth down), I would have a little baby lavender plant maybe three or four inches tall.

Honestly, if you just want one or two lavender plants, I would go buy well started ones from a good nursery.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

looks like it's about to flower - another picture in another couple days might help with ID. agreed, though, on 'not lavender'.

pluto1
Newly Registered

Thanks all! Glad I'm not crazy about it not being lavender lol. I will look in to getting a plant and potting it next time, no seeds.

I'll let this thing grow out a bit, it does look about to flower you're right, so we'll see, and I'll update here!

Thanks!

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I don't know the name of the weed either, but I get them in the cracks between the bricks of our patio. They seem to have pretty delicate little root systems and are easy to pull up.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Yep, weed-don't wait for a flower, cause then there's more seed and this weed is hard to control.

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Compare to Mollugo verticillata.

pluto1
Newly Registered

Thanks purple, that's exactly what it is! I pulled it up a few days ago.

Thanks all, mystery solved lol

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Happy to suggest. ;)

Return to “Plant Identification”