Vanisle_BC
Green Thumb

Second pea planting very close alongside maturing one?

I want to plant a second crop of peas. The first crop, now setting pods, grows up both sides of a netted frame. As I don't have room for another frame, I'm thinking of planting two new rows close along either side of the older plants; ie there would now be 4 parallel rows very close together, 2 well advanced and 2 newly planted. The older ones could be snipped at ground level when done, or just left to rot. Comments?
"The greater part of what my neighbors call good I believe in my soul to be bad, and if I repent of anything, it is very likely to be my good behavior." H. D.Thoreau. (Me too.)

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3

Re: Second pea planting very close alongside maturing one?

Not that I'm a pea expert or anything, but since peas and beans don't mind being crowded, I would say give it a shot. The old vines casting shade on the new plants might be an issue though?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Variety may make a difference? The Wando pea is heat tolerant and works well for a later planting. I don't think they are going to complain about the crowding of parallel rows.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

Peter1142
Green Thumb

I planted my Sugar Snap Peas at 1" spacing in a triple row. I wound up about 50 plants in 4-5' of row. They didn't care one bit and grew into a giant mat that had to be tied up as it was so thick and heavy. I have harvested about a bucket of them so far.

Planting the new ones next to old ones is a good idea, if you have the climate to grow peas year round, as the symbiotic Mycorrhizae can spread easily between them.
Zone 6b SE NY
My blog Peter's Vegetable Garden

Vanisle_BC
Green Thumb

Thanks all for the replies. I'm going to try it - I'll get some seed soaking today. Can't grow year-round but I should be able to get at least 2 crops per season. My rows run E-W and get sun mid-morn till sunset so shading won't be a problem. In fact in earlier years I grew peas where they got no sun at all (against a cool wall but with plenty of open sky.)

I've noticed that Oregon Giant seems to be less determinate as well as staying alive later than the others I grow.
"The greater part of what my neighbors call good I believe in my soul to be bad, and if I repent of anything, it is very likely to be my good behavior." H. D.Thoreau. (Me too.)

imafan26
Mod

It helps to get varieties suited to your climate. I usually plant oregon sugar, but my local Manoa peas have better nematode and disease resistance.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”