moonmonkey
Newly Registered

photo of my cucumber problem

I tryed to post a few photos of the leaf yellowing on my cucumbers, I live in north east florida around the middle of the state ,so not coastal, I'm growing the cukes in mirical gro bags as I have done for years, I have them set up with drip irrigation directly into the bags ,so as not to wet the plants every time I water. but the leafs are starting to spot and discolor anybody know whats happening ?? thanks. if you all need more photos I will post them but its hard for me to do it because they require resizeing and I'm not a computer wizz!
Attachments
rsz_20160610_164609.jpg

imafan26
Mod

I tried the bag pot before. It seemed like a neat idea but did not work out that well. I had a lot of ants under the bag so they brought a lot of aphids. The bag was hard to water and it stayed wet too long and I had some fungal growth in the bag. I probably did not put enough drain holes in the bag and I am sure I watered too much.

moonmonkey
Newly Registered

ive gotten some very good production out of the bags , my plants are produceing well right now, but I'm concerned about the leafs dyeing on some of the plants. I couldnt find any pictures on this site that looked like my problem so thought I would see if anybody knows before I try a fungicide. I don't have an ant problem though.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Idk, could be sunburn, could be downy mildew, could be something else.

Here's what I would do...

I'd go ahead and remove the leaves that are looking to be in poor condition. Your plant can handle it...

Make certain that you aren't overwatering. (Have you used this particular type of potting soil? Is it moisture control or anything different like that?)

Then I would go ahead with a milk neem oil, or baking soda regimen as a preventative fungicide. These are all organic options.

No spray is gonna turn back fungus. The damaged leaves will never heal up. Just remove them and keep your antifungal regimen consistent.

imafan26
Mod

I agree, it does look a little like downy mildew.

applestar
Mod

It looks like you have this sitting on a hardscaped surface. Have you grown cukes here like this before?
It seems like it would get way too hot and the plant would get cooked. Can you walk here barefoot?

Maybe too much stress making it vulnerable to disease?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Maybe some straw underneath it!

moonmonkey
Newly Registered

thanks for the help everyone! the bags are on cardboard, (it looks like concrete in the photos) so its not hot to walk on,(great weed control) I have grown cukes like this with much sucsess, in the past. they are in full sun, the problem may have cropped up after several days of rain? I will use a fungicide and clear out most of the affected leaves,,, per the advice. I also recently turned the watering cycles on every day for 10 min with a drip irrigation,, the drip heads on the cukes are 1/2 gallon per hour)(,before that it was every other day ,,,but the plants were wilting under the sun, after increasing the watering the wilting went away. I do have alot of drainage holes poked in the bottoms of the bags,,,,, maybe over watering?? like waqs suggested above maybe powdery wilt ,, after some fungicide ,, aplication we shall see. and I will post results Thanks again everyone!!!

imafan26
Mod

You may have downy mildew too. The white on top of the leaves are powdery mildew but what may be causing the yellowing is downy and you can have both at the same time. Downy shows yellow on top but the spores are on the bottom.

https://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell. ... _Downy.htm

moonmonkey
Newly Registered

I sprayed two different fungisides on my cukes and they continue to die and even the cukes themselfs are turning yellow and dyeing, think I will have to tear out all30 plants,, I guess next year I will spray fungicide before I see any problems? guess it cant hurt.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I came late to this party, but I agree, some kind of fungal disease. I'm not familiar with what downy mildew looks like, so maybe that one.

Yes, all fungicides, either the organic ones or the synthetic chemical ones do best as preventatives. Fungal diseases can be very tough to cure once established. It does help to start your spraying program before any disease is visible.

moonmonkey
Newly Registered

my cukes are coming back from the brink of death ,, because of powdery and downey mildew,,, I have been treating them about once a week with anti fungals. I'm getting some decent production ,but the mildew really hurt...... my tomatos can also be seen in the photo, s ,, they arnt produceing that well either I think the heat has got them , (not a great garden year so far.) got some heat tolerant seeds to try, also some market more cuke seeds as they are supposted to resist the mildews.
Attachments
20160722_192502.jpg

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”