djlen
Green Thumb

Holly-tone - how often to fertilize Rhodes and azaleas?

Well, I tuned in to seek some advise on fertilizing my Azaleas and Rhododendrons but couldn't find a forum
for them.
In particular, I wanted some feedback on Holly Tone fertilizer and whether I can use it more frequently than
twice yearly as the manufacturers recommend. I found an old half empty bag in our garage about a month ago
and spread it around the base of quite a few Rhodys and Azaleas and Wow, very impressed with the results.
So I bought a big bag of the stuff and want to use it again but don't know if it's advisable.
And if someone can steer me to the Evergreen forum(I'm sure there must be one) I'd appreciate it.

imafan26
Mod

I think this probably belonged in the trees and shrubs forum.

I looked up Holly tone and it is an organic fertilizer.

The directions said to use it in the spring and the fall with the fall apllication being half as much. The amount of fertilizer you use will depend on the diameter of the trunk. Most trees and shrubs have active growth and time when they slow down. I usually fertilyze when I start to see that the trees will be making new leaves and again after they have fruits and bloomed in the fall.

The organic fertiizer will have had some water soluble nitrogen so it had some fast release which is propbably why you saw the quick response. It also contains nitrogen which will release slower over time. It does not make sense to fertilze plants when they are dormant or semi dormant since they are resting. You do want to fertilizer when they are actively growing and flowering and fruiting. Fertilyzing according to the package dierects is what you should be doing and it is best for the plants.
https://www.espoma.com/wp-content/upload ... _Holly.pdf

djlen
Green Thumb

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I read the espoma info. but I was so impressed by the reaction of the plants to the old Holly Tone from the garage that I was hoping someone on here would tell me that they had done a Summer application too.....lol.
I will probably hold off until Fall to add more. It has always seemed ridiculous to fertilize in the Fall when they are going dormant but I guess they know what they're doing.

I'm really surprised that the forum doesn't have a section for evergreens. But from now on I will post in trees and shrubs.

imafan26
Mod

Most plants do their active growing in the Spring, so that is when you want to fertilize. In summer, while plants are blooming they are not actively growing. The fall fertilizer is pretty much to replenish them for winter and to give a boost since by then most of the Spring applied fertilizer will be gone.

In hot areas, most plants will go summer dormant, feeding them then encourages growth, but unless you can provide enough water to support that growth it will actually stress the plants more. Mulching is a good idea in summer as it preserves moisture and if you want to do your plants a favor you could mulch with compost.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/compost ... -mulch.htm

applestar
Mod

Moved the thread to Trees and Shrubs Forum :wink:

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”